28/07/2014

Brent Beronis, outlaw

I've been wandering for some time surrounding a crazy idea of playing a RT scenario of my own. It may be taking place in a hive/urban setting, it may contain one or more of the following: Adeptus Arbites, rioters, civilians, mutants, lots of scenery... and maybe an outlaw. All the idea came... well, I guess it's a long story. I'll try to simplify:

I got the Zombicide game, you know, right? Some of the minis were runners. I converted/painted all of them, right? Wrong! All of them but one! I took one of the runners apart because I suddenly came with a flash ('ephifany' sounds too much). I saw a fugitive escaping from the cops. And then all the RT scenario came to mind, just like if it had been there the whole time. Finally I have found the time to make it real.

Soooo, some green stuff was needed, of course:
 
Victory of Samothrace on the run

The head is Hasslefree, I had a spare one and was just perfect for this. Got to make him wear boots and kinda fatigue trousers. Not quite sure at the moment where I was heading the project.
 
Ooohh, I can feel my arms!

My idea from the first moment though was having the guy running and shooting backwards to his pursuers: Once I got the basic shape, I begun to work on the attire. Rogue Trader ambientation in mind, so nothing gothic, I'd rather explore the regular sci-fi ambientation. More Blade Runner, less skulls. He could just fit in any other number of ambientations (I have a loooong term idea for this model, but today it's not the day to talk about that). I guess a longcoat fits in properly for the outlaw, trying to hide weapons and to go unnoticed through the slums.
 
Looks easier than it is (at least for me)

Weapons were an issue. I didn't like the oversized regular guns we are used to see everywhere nowadays. A bolter or a plasma gun would have been ridiculously big in his hands. But normal weapons wouldn't fit in the Warhammer ambientation. I reached a compromise by using a Warhammer 40K laspistol on the left hand, the one which is closer to the body, and a normal gun on the right hand, the one which draws more attention to the eye on first sight.
 
Bang bang, zash zash
 
The guy still looked too generic. The final touch to warhammerize him was, of course, a sword. I thought of shoulder pads or stuff like that, but I really wanted this one to keep simple, nothing too flashy. Not a standout gang member, but a lone wolf trying to hide in the crowded streets of the monstrous city. So a sword would be the limit, I guess. I used a power sword, replacing the hilt for a 2nd Ed Space Marines knife hilt, the one with the eagle's head. A knife hilt looks big enough to look like a sword's one for this model.
 
BTW, long hair and beard added for dramatic purposes
 
So I just needed to paint him! I chose dark, dull colours, in accordance with what I just said. Here you have the results:
 
Runaway groom

This is the way I built up the character of Brent Beronis, a rather well known outlaw mercenary currently operating in the Besenval Port surroundings. He has earned some reputation being the man you need to contact with if an item has to be retrieved from a security vault, a person or goods need to be moved safely and discretely from here to there or even if a team has to be recruited for a certain work, no matter its nature. Not even his most usual associates know much about him. He is known to have a military past, which can be seen in the way he commands the groups he musters and how he conducts the operations, as well as his sword, clearly an Imperial Guard item. One of the several warrants on him is precisely for deserting, but no one knows his former rank or regiment. There are some whispers and rumours about him being an Imperial hero fallen in disgrace, but no one dares to say a word in his face. You only kneed to know if you have cash enough to hire his services...

Well, you can see, I already have something to start with for my RT scenario! An outlaw, Arbites... Hmmm, I think I still need some more stuff. That will come, I promise, that will come...

10 comments:

  1. Lovely bit of work on that figure, great greenstuff work and a great paint job. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thak you very much! I thought it would be a nice addition having a dinamic and totally different mini. I should re-sculpt the longcoat, which is horrible, but I tend to be satisfied with the final result.

      Delete
  2. Excellent figure. I like the build log presented in your photos and the back story is good too. Impressive work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sean! I also thought it was time to add some background to these creations, not giving them only shape. Let's see where does this drive me...

      Delete
  3. Oh man ... I love the green stuff work you did on the miniature. You truly improved him. Nice work all around. He kinda reminded me of Han Solo at first (weird I know) but the cloak transformed into into kind of a Blade Runner!!! Hey, whaddaya know ... they are both Harrison Ford characters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I like that! You got it, the adventure style of the movies we grew up watching. Han Solo... You are giving me bad ideas... ;)

      Delete
  4. You're da man Suber!
    But I wonder how he can run with that huge sword on his side ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeeeeeah, I guess I will have to do something about that :/

      Thank you, man!

      Delete
  5. Wow...I was totally unconvinced by the early stages of the conversion, but the resulting figure looks brilliant. Perfectly over the top for 40k - he has a lot of Kal Jericho about him (in a good way) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe, yup, I'm afraid he is too much Kal Jericho, but anyway, I like the rogue aspect with the cloak. I wasn't quite sure of how would him turn out in the end, but I guess it's not that bad. Thank you!

      Delete