31/08/2016

Muties! (Pt. 3, beginning of the post apoc zoo)

I've begun to convert the second batch of Goblins mutants (do you remember the first half?), but I'm trying a totally new approach. I was going nuts with so many foot guys, needed to set apart from the infantry and make some mounted units, as I was planning.
Cars a la Mad Max? Living creatures? I've finally taken this latter path. The choice was much easier as soon as my attention was brought towards the World of Twilight minis. Come on, have a look. Ain't them gorgeous?
So this is how it's going to work, you know. Dinosaur riding wasteland mutants. Deal with it.

I thought I had to start this part of the project thinking big. So my first creature was the big Sauropod like monster, the Dompaku. Being a wasteland survivor, I soon envisioned the beast as a wired, augmented creature, having taken the worst part of the stuff a big beast like this one can see on the contaminated ashes of the harsh outworld.

I mean this. Poor guy

Cyborg beast. Getting better and better!
The purpose of this huge buddy is mainly carrying out the muties' belongings, I wasn't designing an Ork Mammoth Squig. These muties have to show their relatively low-tech level, they are a nomadic sort of tribe, not an army of Space Marines or an Ork Clan. So their rides are scout oriented or, in this case, designed to carry baggage, not war-torn battle leviathans. But anyway, they need some firepower for self protection. This was my chance to put that huge jezzail from the Skitarii box to a good use. Who would be a good gunner for this weapon? I found that the tiniest of them all was the best choice. The absurd contrast between the small guy and the absurdly large arquebus worked to my advantage.

Just look at his self-sufficiency, badass face. He's the Clint Eastwood of the mutants
I built the basket in the easiest way possible, a simple piece of card:

They both will look much better in a minute, trust me
The more or less final look of this will be like this:

Not 100% final, but you can see where this is going to

I'll add some more props but this is it more or less

So this is my take on these, some screwed people riding crippled beasts. Well, not that Peter Jackson over the top screwed standards, but something in that way, you know.

This is not the only riding beast these mutants are going to have, I'm also using these others, from the World of Twilight ranges too:

Still some work to do!

With these I think I have this flank of the project covered. A few critters to make the muties cool, I hope it will work.
While I keep on greenstuffing all of them, I've begun to spill some paint on the foot guys, so hopefully you'll see them soon!

27 comments:

  1. Some very cool conversions you did with some beasts from my favourite miniature range.
    I think the Dompaku needs some work on the head, something like a bionic eye or the likes, but that's just my opinion.
    The riders look fantastic too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm really glad you think so about the eye! It really was in my original plan, but I feared it was a little bit overdoing it. I think you just encouraged me to do something about it, thanks for the feedback!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you! The absurdity of the whole concept makes it appealing to me!

      Delete
  3. Damn fine work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Still to see how these end!

      Delete
  4. Nice work Suber, you're giving out all kinds of inspiration for exodites!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm, exodites! That's another thing I'd love to see (if not do myself!). I think you could make nice things for your Eldar! Not that I'm challenging you or anything... But well, yeah, I'm challenging you to raise an Exodite Warband :P

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thank you! Still tons of work ahead, I'm afraid...

      Delete
  6. They look bloody amazing Suber! Really unique creations you've come up with, looking forward to seeing them all coloured in :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm with the little foot buggers now, but I'm also looking forward to having these finished!

      Delete
  7. woooooow!
    I love it!! :D
    Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Unsure of the final result, but there's only one way to find out... :D

      Delete
    2. I don't know what you think, but I'm sure it will look really cool :P
      XD

      Delete
  8. Beasts of burden is a great addition to the muties, and that jezzail guy leaning over the side is great too! Would not want to be him when the beast gets hit by a stray bolter shell though...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, that's some professional hazard, they are used to that shitty stuff, poor guys...

      Delete
  9. Loving this project mate - great to see you cracking on with the little muties, and awesome find on the beasts! Now I'm tempted to grab some myself! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! But beware! For sure some cheap plastic toy dinosaurs would do the deal, but I couldn't resist to these!

      Delete
  10. I've spent ages looking at the World of Twilight beasties and wondering 'what if...'

    Now I know - they certainly do work, look great and your adaptations are top notch! I need to go and buy some ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I can say you won't regret. They are really sweet. I'm using just these for this project, but I got quite a batch, really looking forward to painting them!

      Delete
  11. Great to see you making good use of the twilight beasts - I love sculpting them and it's fun to see something so different done with them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! I couldn't imagine you would see these! :O
      I can only say I'm delighted with all of them, they are so different from anything else I was used to! As I said to Axiom, I'll be converting these for this project, but I have a box full of more of your minis awaiting for their moment to come. They are truly great, I can't wait to spill some paint on them!
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  12. Creativity is your middle name Suber! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha,thank ypu, but I'm just savaging over someone else's work. I'd love to have real creativity and do things of my own! For the moment these will have to do...

      Delete
  13. Nice model! I've linked your work in my article: Dompaku

    ReplyDelete