22/09/2016

Interlude: Sculpting Mikos

Quick update while working on the mutants. Some time ago my pal Keyan Sark asked me to sculpt a Miko (a Shinto shrine maiden) for different settings.
I found this beauty by Hasslefree, which could make a nice start:


Hoping it wouldn't prove that difficult, Keyan asked me if I could make it double, so he could have two converted minis, one for self and the other one to give away. Challenges. I like challenges.

And so I accepted. I'm easy, you know
First thing was fitting the hakama (the trouser/skirt) and the upper garment, to make them look right.

Volumes and stuff
Though they look like Arabian belly dancers in this pic
Getting the hakama right needed more than one attempt. More than two. More than a hundred, I don't know. I got stuck in the folds, but it finally worked. So then I had to sculpt more hair and the tiny bag (which I was told to put by the side of the mini).

Something in this fashion

The rear part of the hakama was also solved!
And a tiny Eldar-ish rune carved on the bag, as per request

So this was my part of the deal. Keyan's outstanding skills made her look like this:

Much better now
So you better check his blog! You'll find more (and better) pics there :)

Back to regular programming soon :D

20 comments:

  1. Nice work. She really looks different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! More a challenge than it may appear at first sight, but rewarding in the end :)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks! This was a first for me, never imagined I could end up sculpting such a mini, but it was fun.

      Delete
  3. That is a very cool conversion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Quite different from what I'm used, but I think it somehow works...

      Delete
  4. AH suber, you don't know how much I sympathise with you !
    I'm practicing Kendo and at the ned of every session I have to fold my hakama back to store it... 7 folds ! After all these years it's still annoying me so I just can't imagine the mess it must have been to sculpt !
    You did a very fine job here anyway !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, it took me ages to understand how the hakama presents itself once worn, so I could replicate the folds and stuff. Plan B was a belly dancer from the One Thousand and One Nights, so whatever, it would have worked :D

      Delete
  5. Very nicely done both converting and the final painted version :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! All the painting credit goes to my pal, he manages to make magic with minis in a way I cannot even understand!

      Delete
  6. She's beautifully converted mate - your sculpt-fu is strong!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thank you! This took me quite a while, needed a lot of zen mode to achieve any progress...

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Thank you! A different approach from what I'm used to, so it's always fun :)

      Delete
  8. fantastic work!!
    Nice conversion and painting! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! She would have looked better with a lightsaber. Everything looks better with a lightsaber. But apparently ths was not that kind of mini... :D

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Thanks! Quite an unexpected turn in my work, haha :D

      Delete
  10. It works ... you did a brilliant conversion job. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Something exotic (for me!) that takes me out from the inherent euro-centrism in this hobby is terribly fun from time to time! I guess you would have something to say on this subject! :)

      Delete