04/10/2018

Underground Cult

Time to get back to the Genestealer Cult project. When I talked about the Imperial Chapel I told you about some items that didn't fit in, just a scale issue. So I thought I needed a place for them. Lucky me, the Genestealer Cult will need a place to pray. Hmmm, something can be arranged, for sure...

DAS over foamboard. Not impressed yet?
I had to pour some water as the clay was pretty dry; that made the process a little bit more difficult, bot nothing that couldn't be solved. I used the Mini-Textures I got ages ago from MiniWorld. I had used it on foamboard before, but never on DAS clay:

It should work better with fresh DAS, I'll try that
But this will work for the moment

Funny thing about using old clay putty in bad condition is that it added a lot of imperfection to the final result, and that was simply great. It added tons of vibe, that feeling of old, eroded stone, of a gritty lair, kind of abandoned and centuries later put back to use again.

Well, this is going to be another large piece of dungeon
My plan here consisted in an underground chapel in which the Cult could join for praying to the Emperor of the Many Arms. But I was determined to take the dungeon to the next level... kind of literally! My idea always involved a multi-level dungeon, not just a regular one. So it was time to build things with a couple of storeys, just to see what happened...

This needs quite more planning that what I'm used to!

DAS putty in better condition

Basic shape of the thing
I mixed the masonry with bare rock, to give the impression that it all was a cavern and that the dwellers of old built the structure using the large rocks.

This step took longer than expected

Well, what can be added to the Cult Chapel? This could work...

'Peace. Concord. Arms'. Oh, and yes, that is a perfect Imperial Eagle. There's nothing wrong with it, nothing at all
So, finally, when I put together all this with the Thomarillion stuff and try it to make sense...

Come, my children, come! The true Emperor embraces you with His many arms
Do not hear the lies of those above on the surface, for my words bear the truth
Kill the corpse-worshipper infidels, our Cult will bring swarms of joy to this planet

You can see there are three doors on the floor (one on each wall) and another one upstairs. So it's done, now I better think of how am I going to build the next pieces!

But before that I have some more corridors to do. All in due time...

35 comments:

  1. Very cool! I can imagine defensive fire down from the windows whilst a four-armed organist plays some dramatic tunes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely!

    And I could see this as a basement of your other "mainstream" church as well as its own structure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking of 'real 3D' boards, favouring verticality and multi-layer concepts. I could most certainly explore that idea...

      Delete
  3. Neat concept and great execution! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It required some more planning than my usual buildings, but I think this is fun :)

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks! Still a lot of work ahead before I can call this a proper dungeon, but I'm on it!

      Delete
  5. That looks great! Such a cool piece: I love the multiple levels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'd love to have at least three levels (more if it's possible!), but I guess I'll have to plan it very carefully...

      Delete
  6. Nice, and the piano is a great touch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It gives the chapel a weird touch. Wherer did they steal that from?

      Delete
  7. That press mould is really great. The textures look really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It turned out better than I expected, it's been a nice experiment. I'm currently working on other project (coming soon...) and using textured rolling pins. I'm getting fond of this stuff!

      Delete
  8. Fantastic! It really evokes the a hidden secretive place of worship. I really like the playability of the piece too - the range of entry / exit points, multiple layers and the big openings really make it an interesting and exciting piece of terrain to play games on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! That's the idea, giving it some gaming options. The thing is that now I need corridors for four entrances -one of them upstairs!

      Delete
  9. I love the vibe and there are techniques here that I want to try !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's all super easy, it certainly paid off. It's pretty useful for smaller scenery pieces, dioramas or even bases. Go experiment!

      Delete
  10. Lovely bit of scratch building! The organ is a nice touch for the children of the night!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It screams Phantom of the Opera to me :D

      Delete
  11. I'm already imagining the amazing scenarios we'll play there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Note them down! I still have to build plenty of pieces!

      Delete
  12. Te ha quedado muy chulo. Yo pensaba hacer unos monolitos y grabarles unas runas oscuras con un rodillo texturizado, asรญ los podrรญa poner en las ruinas del kill team.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ¡Gracias! He usado un rodillo para lo siguiente con lo que estoy de escenografรญa y estoy muy contento, a ver si maรฑana o pasado lo puedo poner ya por aquรญ :)

      Delete
  13. Replies
    1. Thanks! It's a funny project, but there are many more rooms to come!

      Delete
  14. Who needs official/commercial terrain when there's Suber the master crafter :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, that's an undeserved title, but I'll try my best to keep on doing silly stuff :D

      Delete
  15. Better and better! The banner is splendid. The organ needed a home. (I shudder to even consider what eerie six voice fugue the organist might improvise in such a chamber.) I absolutely love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thank you! How did I miss your comment? Sorry, shame on me! I have this dungeon totally abandoned, I do need to get my hands back on it again!

      Delete
  16. I'm a bit late to this party but this looks awesome! Imagine the chords you could play with four arms!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, hahaha! This whole room got weirdly complicated, I have to get back to the project and see how can I solve the 3D issues!

      Delete