28/03/2019

Desert nomad cannibal Ghouls of Khorne

Well, the title is pretty descriptive. If you find out a better name, please be my guest; this is what sleep deprivation makes to me.

I had these almost finished, but the final touches have taken me some additional time, for obvious parenting reasons. Anyway, let me talk about what I'm showing today. They are the Khorne guys from the Shadespire core box, the other half of the commission I took from a friend.
We discussed long about the possibilities these minis offered, trying to find the mood for them. After many different ideas, I told him that I had the skellies warband and I planned to heavily convert them into a desert undead theme, but not the classic Egyptian-like concept. Cloaks, turbans, loose clothes, scimitars... that kind of thing. He also loved the idea, so we begun to translate that concept to these Khorne minis. After getting some bits, I started to work walking this path:

Yeah, desert made this to my skin
Deadly slap of doom
My face may look skinny, but look at my abs
Right from the One Thousand and One Nights
What do you mean my hands look 'different'?
You can see what I mean. I went for this kind of exotic vibe, thinking of a nomadic tribe of desert dwellers, hiding in the ruins of ancient lavish towns now shattered in pieces, hunting in the shadows, avid for flesh of any kind.
The original concept of 'ghoul' has Arabic roots, first coming into European culture with the translation of the One Thousand and One Nights, so it all made some kind of sense. I didn't try to achieve an accurate Arabic ghoul anyway, but just the kind of pastiche we are used within the Warhammer universe. So I painted the skins in this kind of sick, ashen tones:

Who are you calling sick?

Then I considered the Khorne idea. They had to have something red, so I thought of painting some small areas and see where to go chromatically from there.

Leaving the black dead eyes was an idea that came to mind when I saw this pic
I restrained the palette to earthy colours, all in brown, beige, some grey... I didn't envision them in a Red Era fashion, so I favoured mostly dull colours. The only touch of colour was the turban. I wanted something distinctive, a visual reference, and I tried this particular yellow:






I kept the basic poses (except for the spear guy, that anyway is bearing a two handed weapon) so they are more or less recognizable, yet... different.

Desert cannibal ghoul Power Rangers
Just an ambientation pic:

Ahhh, this feels like home...
It's certainly been a different project. I planned to do exactly this kind of conversion work to my own Sepulchral Guard; I like the vibe, but I don't know if I'll finally do it. We'll see whenever I unpack them!

32 comments:

  1. Those are very cool! Excellent colour scheme, great work on the conversions, and impressively minimalist as far as added bits are concerned. The sculpting you did does go rather beyond minimalist, but still. Your Modeled board there looks fantastic, too.

    I'm planning on doing a Khemri Sepulchral Guard at some point here. Got about half the Models for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! I had to take may turns before I got to this point, but it was enormously fun. I tried them to be something in between the Tuaregs or Berbers and the fantasy of the One Thousand and One Nights.
      A Khemri Sepulchral Guard will be something to see!

      Delete
  2. Te han quedado muy bien, y que luego nos digan que para qué nos gastamos tanto dinero en mini sino jugamos apenas.... la de horas de entretenimiento que nos da montar , transformar y pintar esas minis :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ¡Jaja, es verdad, rentabilizamos esto de maravilla! :D

      Delete
  3. These guys are extremely cool, and the post title makes them sound like a heavy metal band, so nice work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Haha, I hadn't thought of the heavy metal, but now I cannot unsee it!

      Delete
  4. WoooooW! That's great! Really lovely work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Enjoyable from the beginning to the end.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks! I tried to make something different, this whole idea looked appealing to me, glad you like it :)

      Delete
  6. Those are fantastic. You would never guess the original miniatures they were made fom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! That was in fact an issue! I had to preserve the basic pose to make them recognizable. Otherwise it would be a hell of a game every time you had to guess who everyone is. Every turn! :D

      Delete
  7. Came for the title, stayed for the models !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, good to know my clickbait works :P

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Thank you! Some of the clotes and drapings were tricky, but I hope they all work at tabletop distance.

      Delete
  9. They look great! I was about to ask how you got such a nice cracked Earth effect before remembering that's how the bases are sculpted 😳

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :D :D :D I'm way too lazy to achieve such nice bases!!!

      Delete
  10. I was intrigued by the post title and not disappointed by the results. You've managed to create a savage looking group of desert nomads with a clear but not overt Khornate link. They're a coherent looking group - I can't wait to see what they ride on ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The thing is that they have ended having a particular kind of charm, I wouldn't mind to explore a little bit more their society and building a whole warband, hmmm...

      Delete
  11. These are brilliant! Excellent work. Perfect crossover minis for fantasy and sci fi. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! They are in fact different from what we are used to see in WHFB or even the new AoS or whatever, that was my main motivation with them, they look pretty versatile for many things :)

      Delete
  12. Genius, you keep me amazed with all these conversions you're doing.
    The ghoul tribe is a great concept and you didn't disappoint at all with the final result.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was fun to develop; just think of an underground society, hiding and pillaging caravans, the way they fight or how they live. The possibilities are endless with these.

      Delete
  13. Replies
    1. I'm so glad to hear that! We need to put them into an use...

      Delete
  14. Wow Suber ... excellent work here. Very nice indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! These experiments are usually a nice opportunity to make different minis like these; breaking the rules of the usual stuff is fun :P

      Delete
  15. Excellent looking conversion work and tremendous painting! Lovely all round!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! They weren't an obvious thing to do at first, but once I got in, it all was easier :)

      Delete
  16. Replies
    1. Thank you! Once i really knew what I wanted, everything went smoother :)

      Delete