27/09/2026

Underworlds: Nurgle warband

 Back to minis again. These days I've been working on a small commission, the Nurgle warband for Underworlds, who apparently are called "Wurmspat". Sounds like a 80's Punk band to me, but who am I to judge anyone's choice of names.

The warband consists of just three members, which makes it a pretty manageable little project. I kept the palette fairly limited,  it's not as though Nurgle has ever been a great fan of bright colours. I also wanted to experiment with a really extreme rusty look, so I deliberately avoided using metallic paints altogether. All the weapons and other metal parts were painted brown first, and then I added patches and stains in different shades of orange.

If the axe blow doesn't kill you, the infection will

I think they look rusty and filthy. However, I believe there is some GW textured paint (something called "Typhus Corrosion" or similar) which I may try in the future to see whether I can push the grime even further.

Next character is this rather scary witch, who apparently goes under the striking name of "Fecula Flyblown", in the finest tradition of Games Workshop naming stuff.

Oh, and her flayed cat... thing. Or whatever that creature is

The other bodyguard is this fine gentleman:

And his daemon slug pet

 And that's the whole warband: the sorcerer and her two bodyguards. Still, despite their rather modest numbers, they look more than capable of handling whatever comes their way:

A happy family

A happy family's rear shot

I've used these as a colour test for the Nurgle lot from the Warhammer Quest Darkwater game. I'm happy with how the palette turned out, so I think I'll be sticking with something very similar for those minis. Stay tuned to see how that works...

12 comments:

  1. están muy bien, el thypus corrosión es un marrón oscuro con arena muy fina para que le de textura, no está mal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ¡Gracias! Tengo que probarlo, creo que un poco de textura le puede venir bien a Nurgle.

      Delete
  2. Fantastic work on the trio of pestilence, the skin tone is putrid and the rust and dirt all add to the overall effect of each model.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I tried them to look like they have some kind of skin disease, like the world's worst psoriasis and beyond. I may have fallen short of rust though!

      Delete
    2. I find Mournfang brown, as a base sponge color and Tau light ochre work well, if you want a third color inbetween try ratskin flesh, or fire dragon bright, you can always tone down with a wash of reikland fleshade.

      Delete
    3. Duly noted, thank you!

      Delete
  3. Wonderful work Suber! They look revolting 😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thank you, I take that as a compliment!

      Delete
  4. An imposing lot - bet they look huge next to regular human-sized figures? Wonder why we never see any skinny Nurgle champions though? I mean, there's plenty of dieseases that cause folks to "waste away" into bones, right? (Maybe I think too deeply on this stuff? LOL)

    Like the schemes you've chosen though. Perfect for poopy followers of grumpy old Father Nurgle. That kitty-thing is.... weird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! No, no, please, keep on, I wholeheartedly agree! I believe that we have restricted sooo much the visuals of Chaos that we have created closed categories of what *is* acceptable and what isn't. But I do believe that Chaos is precisely immeasurable, and there are just so many ways to represent the Ruinous Powers as you can imagine. Some time ago I toyed with the idea of a Nurgle Cult precisely with skinny members, devoured by illness in a different way than they are usually portrayed (I think I have similar ideas or projects for all four Chaos Gods, but oh my, I need more time!!)

      Delete
  5. They look great. A suitably grungy colour scheme.
    The rust effect works really well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! They look classic in their putrefaction! I guess I'll be using them as a reference for the Darkwater fellas, so you can expect more of this fashion!

      Delete