10/09/2026

A few Discworld characters

 While I'm working on another scenery project, I've been using odd bits of spare time here and there to paint a batch of minis I recently got from a friend.

I'd never really planned on getting any Discworld minis, but these came my way and I simply couldn't refuse!

 They are from the Micro Art Studio ranges  and they are absolutely everything you can hope for from a Discworld mini. The sculpts really catch all the spitit of Paul Kidby's artwork and take you straight to the pages of the novels, can't praise them enough.

These are the old metal ones, though I believe they're now produced in resin or as 3D prints. I can't say anything about the new versions, but these were perfect: no mould lines, no issues at all, just ready to paint.

I take it everyone is familiar with Discworld, but in the unlikely event you are not, please reevaluate your priorities in life and go get the books. Please do.

No, I mean it, this post can wait. Go read the books. Like, now. I'll be waiting.

...

Oh, you're back. Good, good. Now we can proceed.

First of all our favourite wizzard:

How can the sculpt alone convey that look of despair in his eyes, even before you've painted him?

 Of course if we have Rincewind, we must have the Luggage:

Greatest smile of all times. And places

 Now another key character, the Librarian of the Unseen University, or as he would put it:

Ooook

 I only have another one, but I think it's a FAVOURITE OF EVERYONE.

OF COURSE YOU KNEW WHO I WAS TALKING ABOUT
SQUEAK

And that's it! These are the only ones I got, but I love the whole range so much that I may well have a little peek at the Micro Art Studio shop in the future.
Here they are together for a group shot:

Don't you feel as though they're already telling a story?

As you can see, I went for a pretty straightforward paint job, but I think it suits them and works well enough. And now, with that happy little feeling you get from actually completing a small project, I can focus on the scenery project again.

Well, as much as I can focus on anything.

Hopefully I'll be able to show you that one shortly!

4 comments:

  1. MARVELLOUS WORK. MY FAVOURITE IS THE LIBRARIAN, BUT THE DEATH OF RATS IS GREAT FUN AS WELL. GNU SIR PTERRY

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great stuff - It takes me back as I read Discowrld when I was teenager. Should revisit perhaps...?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent finish on these iconic characters!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1. These look excellent. Right out of the cover illustrations of the novels. Your painting has done the sculpts great honour.
    2. I'm not at all a fan of the Discworld book(s). Tried reading "Colour of Magic" yonks ago and just couldn't get into it.

    ReplyDelete