18/05/2016

A different approach

Back to my sci-fi civilians obsession, the other day I inadvertenly stumbled on a couple of blisters that totally caught my attention. Pure eye candy. They belong to the Infinity ranges, which I had never paid too much attention before, to be honest. But I saw these and it was love at first sight.

I've painted one of them, it's this one:

Sweet, wonderful sculpt
One of the main things my civilian mob lacks is women. Finding suitable unarmed female civilians is quite a challenge. There are a number of nice female adventurers (some others way too sexist for what I'm looking for, but that's a totally different topic). Though I had always seen Infinity females into this latter category, I found this one rather adaptable to my board. Besides, it had another virtue, which is the Far Eastern approach. Most gaming companies being settled in Western countries and oriented towards Western public, the miniature hobby tends to be critically ethnic-centred.

Well, I don't know if what I'm saying makes any sense, I'm mixing sexism an ethnicity into minis world. Two topics for a broader debate, I'm afraid. The point is that I fancied a not-European female mini, and this is what I got out of this one:

Keiko Sunshade. Ehm, I'm still working on the name
On a second thought, yes, this could be considered sexist
I dared to display a traditional-like image on the sunshade:

Why didn't I think of Dragon Ball when painting this? Dammit!
Well, this is it for today. This has been my first Infinity mini and I must say I'm delighted, boh design and sculpt are top notch. I don't even know what's this in gaming terms, but for my purposes I think it makes a nice upper class fancy lady. I have another Infinity lady, but I still have to paint her. Hopefully coming soon!

18 comments:

  1. Nice work. How does she scale with GW miniatures?

    Reaper has a good array of female miniatures that would fit quite nicely into a sci fi setting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm afraid Infinity is scaled on the 30-32mm side of the game, so she looks somehow towering alongside GW models, particularly RT ones. Kinda Brienne of Tarth like :D
      I'll take some comparison pics. I'll also need to have a look to those Reaper ranges!

      Delete
  2. Very nice, I'd love to see her take a walk near the docks you've built earlier. I'm always tempted to pick a few of those but am always a bit puzlled by the different style and how it might blend or not with the other models I have.
    Great job !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I know what you mean, but I'm not particularly worried; just enjoyed painting the mini and it'll be a nice board filler when it comes to it :D

      Delete
  3. Very funny post Suber :)

    Your unintentionally sexist mini is a nice addition. The freehand dragon is pretty cool, but yeah, Dragon Ball would have been been the Bomb!

    Cool :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thanks, man! Damn, I have to repaint it...

      Delete
  4. Love seeing some Infinity minis on other people's blogs. The freehand on the shade is a great idea and something I might attempt to replicate when I get round to painting her.

    In gaming terms she is just what you'd expect, a civilian. Civilians or other high value targets (HVTs) can be used as objectives during the game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I really need to revisit Infinity, I think I may find some nice surprises. Ouch, that's dangeros, I may end up starting a new project... :S

      Delete
  5. Suber, no se si lo habrás visto, pero en CP Models tienen unos civiles futuristas que quedarían muy bien en tu ciudad. Si ya los has visto, entonces olvida este mensaje.

    PD: también tienen un civil con babosa cerebral que no desentonaría nada.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ¿CP Models? ¡Voy a mirarlo ahora mismo, gracias!

      Delete
  6. Nice work on that figure, particularly the umbrella decoration.

    And yes, civilians are hard to find, female civilians harder still. (of the futuristic sort anyway)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Right, they are hard to get, but that makes it sweeter when you find suitable models! :D

      Delete
  7. Finding civilians is always rewarding, especially after you paint them up, and realize they fit in perfectly with the rest of your figures.

    Cool stuff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right, hehe! You know a couple of things about civilians; in fact you collection has given me some neat ideas about how to focus my own project ;)

      Delete
  8. Sublime looking mini and paintjob dude!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I saw potential in her, now she needs to see some action!

      Delete
  9. WOW! She looks awesome Suber. AWESOME!
    I really need to start painting my figurines again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Glad I gave you the itch for coming back to bussiness :D

      Delete