08/09/2019

Brother Shark (Doo-doo, doo-doo-doo)

Today I'm back to the realscale Carcharodons project. I really wanted to finish the Veteran squad, so I've been relentlessly working on that. I still had Space Hulk termies left, so let's see what I've been up to recently.

Firstly, this over the top guy
The pose had something that really unsettled me. I mean, the legs work, the torso works... but what's up with his arms? I mean, he looks like he's stumbling and falling down. I kept as much as I could from the original, but tried something slightly different:

Same mini, I promise
I still think there's something about the pose, butI hope it works better now. After some paint was spilled on him...

...he looked even angrier
Let's go for another Space Shark fella:

Nope. That heavy flamer is totally out of place in this squad. Space Sharks. Pokey pokey stuff, man
Well, that's quite a different thing. OK, you may proceed
This has been one of the most extensive conversions I've done for the project. The sword is from the Grey Knights box, and I really had to make some work to make the arms fit the position. I made some additional work and had to redo some parts after that pic. In the end he's like this:

No, that on the helmet is not a moustache
You can read Mate on the glaive, which is Maori for Death. You know, I cannot resist this kind of details.

But at this point I was missing an important part; every squad needs a Sergeant. So I used the last mini left for that:

Originally a Sarge in fact
Of course that hammer had to go, I insist on the blade theme. Well you can see I even didn't put the shield of the original mini for the pic. The thing with Carcharodons is that they are on the aggressive side, so I wanted to reflect that in the fact of bearing only short ranged firearms and spiky close combat weapons. They come quickly, they strike to tear the enemy apart and take care of little thing else. I think it worked more or less for all the previous minis.
But this time I had this bit I wanted to use so badly. The right arm, coming from my old Raptors army, holding a crested helmet. It may make him look more relaxed and less frenzied, but I couldn't resist to use it.

Still a Sarge!
It may transmit less strenght in the composition, but I'm happy with the result whatsoever.

Face tatoo again!
The breasplate says Nguha, which means War. I'm that original, yup. The Maori fern on the belt, the koru, is a symbol of rebirth and new life; there is a moana on the glaive, a sea symbol.

Little else can be added. I have used all the Terminators from the Space Hulk box, so I have the Captain (this wasn't from the box, but you know), the Librarian, Apothecary and Chaplain, as well as a nine men squad of Veter... wait, what? Nine men?
Nope. 2nd Edition Codex clearly states that any respectable Space Marines unit needs ten men. Hmmm... What can be done...? Oh, of course.

BONUS MINI:

I had this Terminator from my Ultramarines army. I had already made some conversion work back in the day...

There's a head missing, yes. But focus
It was just what I was looking for. Ahem, to be perfectly honest with you, I had spotted the mini for this project ages ago. This mini was going to be part of this squad as soon as I realized I had only nine guys, quite at the beginning of the whole thing.

Conversion work is minimum
Now he looks like one of the guys

Ahhh, much better now :)

So I finally have a Veterans Squad!! Weeeee!!

I really need to create a backdrop for this
Wow. A full manned realscale Space Marines squad. This means something to me, I've been attempting to do this for years. Many years. I am really happy.

What now? I have some Primaris I will use to create tactical squads or whatever. But I also have like tons of bits for realscaling regular marines I've been amassing through the years. I have to think what can I do with them. But that's a problem for the future me. Today I'm calling this a victory and feasting on this sense of closure. Not sure if closure is the word, as this only marks the start of a full army, but you know what I mean... :)

26 comments:

  1. Te han quedado muy bien , yo pensaba usar primaris como marines a escala real, los viejos se han quedado muy pequeñas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ¡Gracias! Mira el trabajo de este hombre:
      https://apologentsia.blogspot.com/2019/08/inload-kill-team-clawthorn-completed.html
      Va muy en la línea de lo que yo quiero hacer también, es una pasada de trabajo.

      Delete
  2. Wooow! That's looking more than awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm happy with the squad. Now I need more! :D

      Delete
  3. Lord Adiatun Varunn08/09/2019, 10:07

    Simply sensational! A great work, also thanks to the use of Maori symbols, give a lot of peculiarity to the models!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I tried to find a balance between the classic Imperial looking and the Maori vibe, so they weren't too dull nor too exotic. I hope I got them close enough!

      Delete
  4. Simply amazing, nice to see the squad complete. Full of character and individuality.
    Really inspirational, I've been procrastinating far too long about making some larger scale marines, so long in fact Primaris came along and got into the mental mixer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I know what you mean. The realscale concept has been in my mind for ages, but of course it's simply easier to use Primaris as a base now. I have to make a decision about what to do with all the bits I have for converting regular marines!

      Delete
  5. Most excellent! I wasn't sure about how the Sarge was going to turn out from the "in-progress" pic, but the dark skin really made him work in a way I wasn't expecting.

    I'm pretty sure I could come up with a diorama or something that would make that first Terminator's pose make sense, but it would be a very specific thing, and without that context, yeah, it's an awkward-looking pose. Your re-work leaves him much more balanced.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The Sarge is maybe my least favourite of the batch, but I really wanted to use the arm and that pretty much conditioned the rest of the pose. Not that I'm dissatisfied to the point of redoing the work though, I hope this will have to do!

      Delete
  6. Superb conversion and painting work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! This unit has been somehow challenging, but I've enjoyed it quite a lot :)

      Delete
  7. Congratulations for a great job finished! They look great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's nice having this sense of closure, but now I have to start more squads!!

      Delete
  8. fantastic! I still have all my space hulk stuff unopened in a box..I know terrible...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Haha, don't worry, that has been my case too! It happens all the time! :D

      Delete
  9. Simply Amazing! Your conversation are always masterful and inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! These were hard to start with, but once I really decided what I wanted, the path was super easy to follow :)

      Delete
  10. Nooooooooooooooo Suber ... now that PinkFong Baby Shark song is in my head again ... O_O ... nice painting and end results by the way ^^

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love these models you’re doing, they look great! Making cool miniatures look even cooler!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The raw materials were excellent, so it was quite a safe bet!

      Delete
  12. Awesome conversions and superb painting, wonderful!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! They don't look that bad in the end, so I'm reasonably happy :D

      Delete
  13. Brilliant conversions and a great save on the first one, I wonder what the creator was thinking when he made a pose like that. This has been a wonderful project so far and I sincerely hope you will add some more in the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I certainly pretend to do so! I'd like to see how the new primarins scale up close to these, and I'd like to make a few conversions, so there will be more Space Maories in the future, that's for sure :P

      Delete