Monday, 8 March 2021

Ork Gargant. Da body (Pt.1)

OK, it is time this lil' boy gets some colour!

First thing was properly priming it. I simply primed it white and then black on certain areas

If I left it white it could pass for a small snowman

Then I used a yellow primer. A couple of layers all over, even on the back banner.

It's scary even at this early stage

 Well, now that the easy, quick job is done, I'll have to bite this project little by little (though I don't really think little can ever be used in this context...)

First thing I'm doing is the body. Being the largest part, it's going to be the hardest -I believe. But I guess once it's done, the rest will look more feasible (I don't dare to ever say 'easy'!).

So I painted the basic colours. Some plates will be red, green or whatever. At this stage I didn't care if colours looked plain, I was just seeing the overall look, before weathering or any other effect. Pretty simple process, so I didn't take WIP pics. The only 'advanced' thing I did was the black flames:

I needed to get a visual approximation of how will it look in the end

This yellow looks different in each pic! It's just the light, I promise

But now I needed to do something to that plain, dull yellow. My first idea was to use Agrax, but I realised it's too dark and too brown. It was going to dirty up the thing and it was going to be an awful mess. Then I had a sudden idea.

What if I used the GW yellow Contrast as an ink?

-But Suber, you can't paint a 28mm scale Gargant with Contrast.

-I can't? 'Old my fungus beer

 The Iyanden yellow Contrast leaves this orange aspect that totally suits this kind of crazy idea. So I used the Contrast as an ink on all the rivets as well as on the lower half of every yellow panel. This was the result:

Good enough to lazy me

Now I have to repeat this treatment with all the other colours. I guess I will use Agrax for red and some other brown tone for green. Then we'll talk about highlighting and so. But this is it for today!

This project is undoubtedly going to take some time. Though it is inevitable to part it into smaller stages, I'll try not to make too many posts. Be patient and ye shall be rewarded!

24 comments:

  1. se ve genial, y si usas tinta carne de vallejo diluida? igual te da el tono.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ¡Gracias! De momento con el experimento de la contrast estoy contento, me ha resultado mejor de lo que esperaba, vamos a ver el resto...

      Delete
  2. Fantastic work on the Gargant the shading is super effective and keeps the yellow looking warm and vivid without making it look muddy. Awesome work and I can't wait to see how you get on with the rest of the beast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! This contrast thing worked along better than expected. I'm precisely trying to avoid that muddy look, let's hope this approach work on the whole model!

      Delete
  3. That thing is huge! The orange "ink" is a great idea. It's going to look excellent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I do have storage issues! :D
      I'm sure this Contrast wouldn't have worked as it was designed, i.e., as... well, as a Contrast paint; but using it as an ink gave an unexpected result, so I'm happy so far!

      Delete
  4. This is looking awesome already! Can't wait to see it finished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's excruciatingly slow, but fortunately I'm in no rush! Besides, whenever I need a break I have tons of other projects waiting for me :D

      Delete
  5. Love the paint job so far. Really pulling the build together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The perspective of painting this monster scared the hell out of me (well, it still does!), but I hope it can be eventually done!

      Delete
  6. That is the most awesome yellow!
    Just amazingly impressive

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The final tone was quite a surprise to me. I was really worried about how these large panels were going to look, as yellow is always such a pain to achieve. But in the end it turned out better than expected. I hope I don't screw it all when highlighting!

      Delete
  7. Really smart use of the contrast paint! It's already looking great!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was all quite a happy happenstance; I was decided to use Agrax ink, but it was all so dark and dirty that I really couldn't do it. It was only then when I looked at the Contrast and thought "Hmmm... what if...?" :D

      Delete
  8. Dead solid! That looks great and I can't wait to see the rest of him colorized and finished up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! This thing is a real challenge at so many levels, but I'm enjoying it so far. It will take some time, but I hope it will be worth o the effort :)

      Delete
  9. Excellent - the flames look great and the Contrast works perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I still have a lot of work ahead, but I'm motivated! :D

      Delete
  10. Wow, that contrast glazing worked out wonderfully!

    I was thinking that you were going to do oil washes, but this is probably faster, and it turned out very nicely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never ever used oils! I'm too lazy and too basic for that! :D
      This cheap trick worked, so I'm sticking to that!! :D

      Delete
  11. I always wanted one of these big boys but I'll settle for looking at an awesome paint job by a talented painter :) Bad Moonz Rulez!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Oh, I do have storage issues, this fella is a monster!!

      Delete