17/01/2024

Large Shark beakies

 It had been quite long since I last visited my realscale Space Sharks project. I think it's time to get back to my grey large marines!

I recently bought one of these Horus Heresy Mk.VI Tactical Squad boxes. It was kind of love at first sight, I can't emphasise how much do I love the Mk.VI (I guess that as much as any of you. I hope so). It encompasses everything that has to be said about nostalgia. It brings me back to the RTB01 times, when I got on board of this Warhammer madness. When it was called Rogue Trader. I believe I could write a whole essay on the subject, but don't fear, I won't. If you share the feeling, there's no need of it. If you don't, there are no words that can make you understand how it feels.

No more digression. The Mk.VI Corvus armour. The beakies. The models are a little bit larger than the previous Space Marines, so I thought I could just assemble the models and make them fit in with my previous Carcharodons. However, they are not as large as the Primaris models (if you remember, that's what I used for my latest unit). So I had to re-scale these too! Below you can see a regular marine from this box and a converted one:

Little difference, but enough to be perceived

Funny thing, once you start to enlarge your marines, you cannot just leave it at the legs or waist. The lack of neck seems alarmingly obvious:

He didn't appreciate being called Brother Shorty

So I had to work on knees, hip and neck. There's no need to do anything with arms, shoulderpads or anything else. Well, unless you want some kind of conversion, like the Sarge here:

The gauntlet comes from a metal Chaplain. I prefered the classic sword instead of the new provided with the current kit

As I wanted to keep a relative old school vibe, I used this Missile Launcher from Space Crusade:

Looks like a heavy thing to carry

Once again I took the same path I used with the heavy weapons operator in my previous squad. In case you don't remember (you don't have why), I built a harness to help the marine to handle the weapon while not holding the whole weight solely on his arms, kind of the Aliens thing:


I did this to my previous marine:

Archive pic

And I did it again now:

The guys from Prevention of Occupational Hazards approved it

There's not much else to it. From this point on it's all a matter of smoothening the green stuff work and painting the whole thing in the very same way I've always done.

If I can bring something new is that I changed my mind from my previous works and decided to put a back banner on the Sergeant. Of course, if I was doing it with this Squad, I also had to do with the other one. So I came up with these:

A little bit smaller than I anticipated, but it works

The banner on the other Sarge

The Horus Heresy box comes with a back banner for the Sergeant, but instead I used it on my Captain, as I think it looks best there:

He didn't have any banner until now

Here you have the whole squad, in all their Mk.VI glory:




The only thing I regret is the breathing vents on the helmets preventing me from painting shark mouths. Trust me, I tried. But there's not enough room for that. Sigh.

They are missing the Chapter symbol on the shoulderpads. I have ordered some custom decals, but until they arrive, they look good to me :)

I really do have to work on a backdrop

What can I say. I totally love these models. They finally are what I was waiting for. I think these are the true evolution of the old miniatures. They keep the aesthetics, they are not over the top, haven't fallen on the gruesome baroque nonsense we sometimes see nowadays. It's simply an update of the old models and I love it.

The box brings enough sprues to build two squads, so you can bet I'll do some more stuff in the future (probably not more Carcharodons, but I'll see what to do).


BONUS! As I was painting grey and black, I thought I could work on something else too. I could have made a post of its own, but I think it really belongs here. I had a Rhino re-scaled and 3D printed, so it matches my realscale Space Marines:

OK, right, this is BIG

I'll be honest, I wanted it even larger, the size of a Land Raider. I made some rough numbers and it looked like the size it needed to be to make ten realscale Marines fit into. But I was finally persuaded and now on a retrospective I'm glad. Let me show you how I turned this from this tone of grey to a totally different tone of grey.

Ta-daa. Easy. I collected some useful bits too

Now to the fun parts. I planned to use decals too, but the hatches don't really allow it. So I had to make it the hard way.

If it goes wrong, I'll have to name my Chapter the Space Herrings

Space Eels will work too

A thing I was missing was some lights. I cannibalised an old Rhino and did this:

Fortunately the size difference wasn't an issue

I faced some issues when painting the decorations on the side hatches. The separation between the two doors didn't allow me to paint the Shark, as the awful hollow space in between really ruined it all. At first I toyed with the idea of three stripes with Maori style symbols:

However it looked weird at tabletop distance

Then I moved forward and painted the rest of the empty spaces:

Too much. Looks like the blackboard at my school when I was a kid

It wasn't working. Sometimes less is more. I realised I had to take what I call the Epic approach. When you see a Rhino at a distance (i.e., little Rhinos in Epic), you have to understand what you are seeing. If it's all a blur, you are doing it wrong. And this was exactly what was happening here. Whatever symbol was to be depicted on that door, it had to be readable. I could only breathe and take the wise decision. Paint black again over it and start again.

It was a hard decision, but it brings peace and joy to my hart

As a compensation, I painted some of my Maori mandalas on the upper hatch

The final touch was to add a couple of banners on the back. If there's something more Old School than that, I don't wanna know. It's still missing some symbols here and there, but I plan to use decals for that. When they arrive I'll take more pics, but for now this is it:





Just in case, another size comparison pic, with a regular Rhino (the donor of the lights and some bits):

Daddy?

So a realscale Rhino to meet my realscale Marines:

At this pace I'll soon need a realscale board

I promise an update when I get the decals. Until then, let's keep on moving forward!

33 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks! The force is slowly growing :)

      Delete
  2. Excellent work Suber, the rescaling looks spot on, and love all the detail markings that you have added. Think you made the right move putting that back banner on your captain, and with the tactical symbols on the doors, although I did appreciate the tribal markings. One last thing Beakies rule ! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Right, as I saw the banner I knew I had found the perfect piece! Thank you, I love the pseudo-Maori imaginery associated to Space Sharks, but I think I had to make that hard choice!

      Delete
  3. Wow, what an awesome post! Very inspiring stuff. I love beakies ever since I got i to this hobby way back in '89, and I thrilled to see their revival. Your rhino is an impressive beast, and I enjoyed seeing your step-by-step painting process on the Chapter icons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! These new models are pure joy, they are simply perfect, as you say, it's a revival that moved me back in time :)

      Delete
  4. Excellent work on the conversion on the Beakies and painting on the Rhino. Congratulations especially for your freehand skills, which are improving visibly! Did you make preparatory drawings of the patterns on paper or did you try directly on the miniature? What is certain is that, as you realised, a preparatory sketch and the effect on the finished piece is not the same thing...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! Oh, no, I just painted directly on the model, with no rehearse on paper (had I done that I would have probably envisioned the problem and saved myself a lot of time and work!!). For the large upper hatch I sketched the basic silhouette of the shark with a pencil, but for the rest I just painted it with no preparation. The good thing about these patterns is that they are geometric and repetitive, so you can try them as you please without thinking too much about the space itself, the very same thing that I did with the decorations on the Athenian trireme. It's just a matter of giving it a try and breaking the big problem into little problems of tiny brushstrokes :)

      Delete
  5. Brilliant! Love what you are doing with these guys. Your freehanding is fantastic! Also that monster Rhino is kick ass.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm enjoying these Space Maorines a lot :D

      Delete
  6. Very cool indeed! I'm not usually a big fan of big marines but there's some really nice modelling and painting here. Those harnesses for the guns are particularly cool. And for once it looks as if the marines could fit into their transport! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Oh, I've had an obsession with "feasible" things (I guess that "realistic" wouldn't be the right word) for quite a long time. Heavy weapons on the Marines annoy me, I think they need some "visual" aid that reenforces the idea of carrying kind of artillery pieces on their arms. The same goes for the Rhino. The regular model is a meme itself, I really needed this one to be large scale, the TARDIS explanation wasn't enough for me XD

      Delete
  7. These look great!
    You know, you could always try to smooth out those vents with a thin layer of green stuff. That might let you paint the mouths on the sides.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I considered the idea, but really didn't want to lose the vents too. Anyway, other models of this helmet allow me to paint the jaws, so be sure I'll try it in the future...

      Delete
  8. Ooh I love those smart gun conversions! Especially the rocket launcher!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! I'm concerned about wrist or elbow tendinitis! XD
      I spent some time deciding what heavy wepon to use, but when I saw my old Space Crusade rocket launche it was a total no-brainer :)

      Delete
    2. The old "beaky launchers" are such unique and fun designs.

      Delete
  9. Awesome, really getting that RT vibe. Malacassa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm happy with the RTness, I would make a whole Chapter with these! :D

      Delete
  10. Baby shark baby shark na na na na baby shark......
    Te han quedado geniales, y el rhino igual. Yo también pensé pillarme alguna caja, pero no me coincidían en tamaño con los viejos ni con los primaris, así que desistí.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jajaja, ese va a ser el título que ponga cuando pinte los exploradores XD

      Delete
  11. Great stuff - the freehand looked very nice but I agree the rhino looks better overall with a simpler logo on the doors. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! There was something that didn't feel right about the door, and I was keeping on doing it wrong! I needed a clean slate and a new approach, I hope this new one works better!

      Delete
  12. Son una verdadera pasada! Quedan geniales. Mis dieses!
    Un saludo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ¡Gracias! En la próxima haré ya una foto de familia para que se vean todos :)

      Delete
  13. Great looking beakies, I've passed on some original plastic beakies and a load of chaos marines to my great grand nephew who's just starting out, that new rhino is a beast!
    Best Iain caveadsum1471

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Oh, you made a good deed! I hope he enjoys them :)

      Delete
  14. My two cents ... that detailed symbols on the side hatch wasn't too much as you mentioned ... it was a brilliant piece of detailed painting. Great work Suber :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thank you! It could work on a different scale, maybe on shoulderpads, banners, that kind of thing. But I didn't feel it was working on the door. However, I'm using those patterns in the future, that's for sure! :)

      Delete
  15. Crikey - that's a beefy Rhino! I get what you say about the various designs that didn't work when viewed from a distance but they were lovely. As well as the Maori inspiration, they reminded me a lot of skrimshaw designs - I seem to remember Space Marines being in to that in one of the old novels?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think I may have to try those designs on different surfaces and scales. Funny thing about the skrimshaw technique, I hadn't thought of it -at least consciously. But I reckon the resemblance! I definitely have to practise more...

      Delete
  16. Lovely job on the conversions here. I don't think I'd have the patience...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! They are not too elaborate, but they do their part!!

      Delete