19/01/2017

Gaudí and the lizards

Titles for this project are becoming increasingly delirious. But it's all for a reason, believe me.
For this new batch of creatures from the World of Twilight setting I tried something new. Don't ask me why, but a recurring image was coming to mind when fiddling with the minis. If you have ever been in Barcelona you may have visited the Park Güell (don't worry, just pronounce it Park Well, sounds remarkably close enough). Designed by Antoni Gaudí (the modernist architect of those curvy buildings in the postcards), it contains, among others, this salamander:



Colourful lizard. Couldn't take it out of my mind.


The association of ideas was immediate. Of course we all agree that the pattern on the ceramic would be a little too much for these 28mm minis, but hey, inspiration comes frome the less expected sources!
So I tried a blue pattern with some yellow/orange stains, and then something similar but in red for the other guy. Here's the result.

Dammit. That's why Gaudí got his own Wikipedia article and I don't
Anyway, once I got the Gaudí inspiration, I dared to do some more gaudy work (ouch, terrible pun) on more creatures.

Nope, not a traffic light

I also managed to paint these other three, once again leaving my prejudices back, setting my mind (and brush) free until I got some fresh, colourful animals:

With these colours, they must be poisonous as hell
Here you have some overhead shots:




Getting these painted in such vibrant colours is equally refreshing and challenging. One never knows what is going to work until you just go for it and see it in the flesh. For the moment I'm happy with this turn of events. Not that much ago I was painting dirty mutants in the dullest palette posible and now I'm going just the opposite way, to a Hindu Holi festival :D
More World of Twilight to come!

18 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm ejoying these more than I anticipated :D

      Delete
  2. Watching your progress has been very enjoyable.
    So rarely do wargamers do bight color combinations, this has been a nice change of pace. Good Work

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, that's the point here, dissociating what I had taken for granted for this kind of creatures, far from earthy colours or what I would take as 'natural'. Still long way ahead...

      Delete
  3. These are great dude! I think my fave is the black with yellow markings, but they are all really lovely :-) I can just imagine some techno-shamen giving one a good licking, just to help him reach the spirit plane.... (Mmmm... spirit plane...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :D :D :D :D

      BTW, just to let you all know how a good photographer I am, that colour isn't black, but a dark purple. I can't take decent piiiics! Sob sob

      Delete
  4. I love this project, and I love even more that you're using Gaudi as inspiration for miniature painting. KEEP IT UP!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I find Gaudí (and a number of truly great artists in their respective fields) highly inspiring for so many different projects. From time to time the communicating vessels allow you to bring their genius to your workbench and then, oh, man, that is truly great :)

      Delete
    2. Gaudi is a true magician.
      For my own part, I would really like a way to bring Gauguin's "Cloisonnism" to miniature painting -- i.e. large flat areas of colour and bold outlines, almost like a medieval religious painting. But I haven't found a way that wouldn't simply make the miniature look like its poorly painted.

      Delete
    3. I believe the problem with that approach would be the raw material itself. I mean, cloisonnism works on flat surfaces, but the minis themselves provide the third dimension, with everything related to that, i.e., their own lights and shades. So bringing what you say to 28mm minatures is a conundrum I'd love to see how you work out. Whatever you do will certainly be great, your painting style is quite oriented to that, so you'll bring exceptional results, I'm sure :)

      Delete
  5. I like them, they look a lot like earthly amphibians.
    They indeed look like they are extremely poisonous, which is very appropriate as they are in the game too if I remember correctly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm afraid I still haven't read the rules, but all I can say is that they are a real pleasure to Paint.

      Delete
  6. terrific, as always
    really nice job and nice colours :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm going wild with these, hehe.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Thanks! The sculpt allows you a wide range of freedom. I'm wondering how will it be when it comes to larger beasts...

      Delete
  8. Brilliant colours Suber. Well done I say. Saw this on the internet the other day ... relates well to what you are doing => https://www.pinterest.com/tjashall/frogs/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooooooh!! So cool! Thank you very much, I'm using some of them for sure!

      Delete