27/02/2017

Through the looking glass

I've made some more progress on the World of Twilight stuff. Today it is turn for the character of Loranti Pargal, which was the mini that lured me into the KS in the first place ;)
But what's life without challenges? My pal also got one, so I went over the mini twice at once :)
To add some more flavour, I had a weird idea for my own mini; I'll be turning it onto my RT setting, so I can use it in combination with other minis. Well, let me explain what I mean with an image...

Slight conversions, but enough for my purposes
The mini is sweet, evocative. A merchant from afar, coming to do some bussiness. Cool. Now I was to make mirror versions of it...

Similar, yet not the same at all!
Following the general path I'm on with my pal's minis, I kept the colour splash approach...

Piñata Lizard!
While keeping a more moderate pattern for my own sci-fi merchant, I liked the way it all was turning out, so I was losing the fear to colour. For both sunshades I chose essentially the same pattern, but in different fashions. One was meant to be bright red, but for the other I thought a sakura motif would be nice:

I'm a sensitive man able to paint these too. Cool for mojitos!
I gave the sakura pink pastel parasol to the colourful one. Not only was my pal's favourite one, but also provided the right point of balance to the gaudy colour explosion. I think it works...

I'm so delicate in all my lizardness

Japanese parasol and chinese vest. Not sure if those two combine at all...
After some basic basing... ;)

Trading all sort of colourful things
Far East piñata rider
Sorry, Studio Ghibli are not doing an anime based on you

About the sci-fi one, it's just a reverse mirror exercise. It's colourful too, but not so much. But the red parasol gives the counterpoint it needs.

It's so comfy travelling the galaxy like this
Standard space fashion
Floral decorations are also galaxy standard

Why did I sculpt that particular suit and chose these colours? Well, in my mind the project involves gorgeous Barcoon Krobosh from the Colony 87 set and no less marvellous Eru-Kin guys from DieHard miniatures:

They will be painted when Wave 2 arrives, so will do them all in a row

That's the seed for a future warband, but that will come when its time arrives... For now, you can see both minis alongside:

Almost twins
Step by step I'm doing some progress. Yet more Twilight to come!

20 comments:

  1. Always a treat when the World of twilight figs are involved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aye, that's so right! All the minis are sweet. And far more versatile that I ever thought!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Haha, thanks! Never underestimate my power of turning things weird! :D

      Delete
  3. Both brilliant mate - frogs riding lizards? Whatever next :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great work - those umbrellas are fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! They came out quite in a natural way, I must say. I though of the character (also in the sci-fi version) as a lady boss, used to get obeyed and moving parsimoniously under her parasol. Those kind of decorations seemed in order to me!

      Delete
  5. Suber, you are always throwing me a curve ball. Just when I think I know what to expect from your work, you surprise me and in a good way. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I love to reinvent myself! I may not excel in any field, nor painting nor modelling, but the things I enjoy most are these absurd processes of creativeness and turning things into something different. Whenever I create my own enterprise I'll take the art direction department and recruit talented artists to turn my weird ideas to real!! :D :D :D

      Delete
  6. Lovely. Very vibrant colours and love the patterns on the umbrellas fab job mate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Well, at least I can say they are different from the usual stuff! The model itself is gorgeous, it all comes by itself.

      Delete
  7. Unique, colourful and we'll thought through.
    Very well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I cannot recommend these range enough, seriously, the minis bring lots of opportunities!

      Delete
  8. ho ho! What a great model! bravo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Pretty enjoyable from the beginning to the end!

      Delete
  9. Lovely work again! Great to see the sci-fi version and the more standard one :)
    I particularly like the design on the parasols.
    You missed the painting challenge, but let me know if you place an order and I'll pop in some fun extras :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! I've told it before, but the sculpts are inspiring, the possibilities for them are endless, it's a pure joy taking them to uncharted seas.
      I missed that! :( Well, for sure when I finish the current batch of minis I'll have to order some more ;) The incentives are of course even most welcome, very kind of you!! :) Thank you!!

      Delete
  10. que encanto tienen esas minis (sobretodo con ese pintado :) )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Las minis son una genialidad, dan muchísimo de sí, más de lo que cabría esperar. Está siendo un proyecto diferente y un reto que estoy disfrutando como un enano :)

      Delete