19/06/2017

Raggedy rugs

Change of plans. My urban market is under re-evaluation. You may remember my plans on a rug merchant. First things first, I needed the raw material, the stuff that is going to be sold, i.e., the rugs:

You can get them from the post I was talking about
EDIT: I've been happily led towards the original source of the rugs, hooray!
http://adventuresinlead.blogspot.com.au/2011/10/genuine-indostani-rug-sale.html
Go have a look! :)

My original idea was using the Wolsung stalls by Micro Arts, but I couldn't find any proper way of the rugs fitting the structure. Either they covered the whole stall, either they didn't look anything like a market. No worries, I'm good at improvisation and developing new plans as difficulties arise. Follow my train of thought. I got this image stuck in mind:

Real fabric merchant in Afghanistan
 That was my aim, something small but motley, with the cloth/rugs/merchandise all over. Most definitely I was in need of something different. The MDF stalls would have to wait, I designed a very simple way of achieving the same effect.

A couple of cards and these plastic pieces from some childhood toy

This is going to be way much modest, of course, but hopefully sharing the same spirit. Just the simplest sales stand ever. I thought of painting it all brown and rusty beyond any measure, like my other 40K stuff. But on a second thought I realised I could also use it for my modern 28mm games set in Afghanistan (if I ever come back to that; well, now I have a new incentive). So I used some more colour, though keeping the weathered, rusty theme.

If you still don't see where I'm going with all this, don't worry. All my plans tend to be confusing
Now I had to stack the rugs. I picked some of them and with some scissors and glue managed to more or less make them look piled up ready to be sold:

I could have used even more, but I think it was enough for my purposes
Well, if you get to look close enough you may advert the rugs are just paper, but I didn't think it was worth of simulating the whole rolling with greenstuff or whatever. At tabletop distance it works just fine.

This is it, one of the most efficient results I can recall, given that it's essentially been at zero cost. Now I have a dual purpose scenery element, useful both for my RT stuff and any Afghan (or whatever) skirmish I can plan. But don't worry, I promised the MDF stalls and I'll get some things for them! All in due time.

27 comments:

  1. Looks great. I'd add a basket or a small table with a scattered bits on it fruit or one of those smoking things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Cool, I like the idea, I'll look for bits, hmmm :)

      Delete
  2. He has a very impressive selection of Rugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like how they look, it's quite atmospherical for me and I think it also fits in my eventual modern conflict board ;)

      Delete
  3. Simple but oh so effective !
    Brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's the most efficient piece of scenery I've ever built :D

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. On the contrary, it's so incredibly simple! If only all my scenery was that easy...

      Delete
  5. Sencillamente genial, genialmente sencillo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ¡Gracias! En la simplicidad está la gracia de esto, que tiene complicación cero :)

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thanks, but you can see it's really, really simple! :D

      Delete
  7. A lovely diorama, simple but it looks most excellent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's really easy as pie, I have to develop more stuff of the like :D

      Delete
  8. A really effective piece of scenery / backdrop. Great work! I was looking at dolls house rugs a while back, but seeing yours, it looks as if paper is just as effective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! At tabletop distance you can't really tell the diference. They won't resist a thorough exam, of course, but they do their part. You can glue them on thin card if you feel you need more volume. Get the jpg from my other post and make some tests! :) These rugs would certainly look in place in your casbah ;)

      Delete
    2. Precisely why I have my eye on them ;)

      Delete
  9. That is a great piece of work. Unusual enough to stand out, but common enough to be used in many table setups. You don't see that very often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, multi-purpose scenery, I cannot ask for more. It's for sure the most efficient piece I've ever built in all senses! :D

      Delete
  10. queda espectacular! O.O
    me encanta el resultado! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ¡Gracias! Pues ya ves que es simple como el mecanismo de un chupete, ¡anímate!

      Delete
    2. si hiciese Fantasy o Mordheim te aseguro que si! jajaja

      Delete
  11. Suber ... this is simply inspired! Well done sir :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! These printed aids are really useful, I may look for some more stuff :)

      Delete
  12. Simple, but clever, and very effective!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It turned out better than I expected, given the simplicity of the whole process, so I'm quite happy with the piece. Less is more!

      Delete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete