13/06/2018

The Cult breeding pits

I've lost track of at which point expressions such as 'crazy lunatic' or 'deranged madman' lost their connotation and became just descriptive when applied to me. Never mind. The case is that I had to give some continuity to the Genesteraler Cult catacombs project, which at the moment only counted with a single room. I wanted to put the Hobbit core box scenery to an use, so I designed a room in which I could use all of it. Yes, that's right. All the wooden platforms. Yes, I'm that crazy, didn't you read the beginning of the post?

So I built this monster with foam board and a kilo of Das clay. Yes, once again you read it right.

You don't see a thing. I understand
Just from the other side
I hope you will see it better with some additional work on it...

The sand on the floor was a terrible pain in... well, in everywhere

Those are supposed to be caverns open to the main hall. You will eventually see what I mean
Yes, I could have used papier mache for the same purpose, but I only thought of that after using 1 Kg. of Das. I regret nothing.

Well, let's have a look at those wooden platforms.

They are cool. I could definitely use more of these
Preliminary display:

First floor of the main structure
And basic shape of the second floor too
The same from the other side

Of course what you have seen by now is the result of several weeks of intermitent work, so at this point I was kind of fed up with all this and wanted to move on new stuff (as always). So I didn't add an overwhelming amount of details. I'm keeping the cave dirty and feral:

Some wiring and a couple of bits here and there

On the whole I think it works
I've added a couple of electric lights, but I think I could add some torches or something like that.

Wires add a visual sense of dirt and chaos, but I guess it's going to be challenging gaming wise....
You know, Operation game, 40K Edition


I would have liked to paint some blaspheme Genestealer Cult iconography on the walls, but the idea came too late, and at that moment it was impossible for me to reach the walls with a brush. I'm keeping the idea for future rooms though.

So the dungeon has two rooms now!

I foresee storage issues with these
The idea of verticality is tempting, I have to think about it for future rooms. I find it fun seeing this giant, shambling structure. For gaming purposes I think this cave will be the breeding pits, the place where the Cult nurtures all the creatures that must not be seen openly on the surface and where they dwell until the moment for the rebellion to come. I guess the rules for this room could be rolling dice each turn to determine from which cavern will the Hybrids emerge to attack their invading enemies, something like that.

Anyway, the important fact is that I can consider this done (apart from those torches or other tiny details) and I can move on more stuff!!

30 comments:

  1. Insanity! I love it!
    It does have a proper dank underground warren feel.
    How're you going to store this mega dungeon when it's all built?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! I have no idea of what I am going to do with these. I do need to get rid of some of my urban scenery, I guess... Glups!!

      Delete
  2. A very interesting addition to the project. I like the multi-level dynamic. Dungeon projects are usually very '2d', so this is a nice variation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's my main concern with this whole project, I'd like to explore the vertical dimension of it. My idea is some kind of underground excavation/catacomb using different layers or levels, but the logistic challenges concerning storage still need to be dealt with!!

      Delete
  3. That's very atmospheric Suber. Even if it weighs a tonne from all the clay it's still ace man :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Haha, I think it's because of it! It... feels right! :D

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you! Crazy stuff is always the funniest :D

      Delete
  5. Very cool! Keep up the good work on the cult burrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I have plans, hmmmm [pets his white genestealer cat], I have plans...

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Haha, we still have to play a battle on the surface ;) while I keep on building the catacomb! :D

      Delete
  7. Glorious stuff! Would love to see a refectory – it'd be a nice twist seeing the 'evil' cult feeding and clothing beggars and outcasts who can't make it on the outside – and all the brood brothers ask in return is to read the pamphlet... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooohhhh, that's so ace! I love the idea!! Consider it done! Oh, I need some paper and a pencil to sketch it...

      Delete
  8. Absolutely brilliant idea (duly stolen by myself!)

    I can't wait to see how the project develops!

    All the best

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! I have some crazy ideas, I don't even know if they are even feasible, haha :D

      Delete
  9. This is absolutely awesome mate! Once again you’ve made an amazing piece that sets a great atmosphere!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It all begun when I thought I had to put the Hobbit scenery to an use. Now I'd love to recreate the whole Goblin Town, haha!

      Delete
  10. Fantastic! This project is really exciting and packed with inspirational ideas. I really do hope you continue to make a network of more rooms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I really want to build a real 3D thing, but I have to give it a thought, as I'm going to need some extra structures to support the whole dungeon! Glups!

      Delete
  11. Wow that looks most excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks! Kind of crazy thing to build, but I hope it provides some fun :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. ok, I'm late to the party, but holy jeebus that's cool. I really like that even though the scenics are very detailed, there's still a gaming functionality to it. You've left enough space for miniatures to be moved around.
    Can't wait to see the rest of the dungeon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Barely functional, but that's exactly the point I'm trying to reach here. Oppressive and suffocating, as a dungeon should look :D

      Delete
  14. Me encanta!!
    Menudo curro te estas pegando (como siempre)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ¡Gracias! Es laborioso, pero creo que al final puede salir una mazmorra chula. Tengo que empezar a hacer pasillos...

      Delete
  15. Wow ... the finished terrain looks stunningly realistic. My hat off to you Suber for yet another well thought out AND executed project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I would have liked to add more details. Garbage, cans, food, whatever. But Iguess this will have to work for the moment :)

      Delete
  16. Genius! Some more and you could play a Dungeon Crawl in them.
    Really, outstanding and creative work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It may take some time, but I'd like to have a full dungeon set; I have a few ideas that I'll try to achieve... ;)

      Delete