16/04/2020

Let's be bad guys

I showed the Firefly characters earlier this year (by triplicate!), but I still had to paint all the bad guys. I finally managed to do so! Yes, by triplicate again, of course!

We essentially have two types of bad guys, cowboys and thugs. Cowboys bear firearms and thugs carry close combat weapons. As much as I observed and examined the minis, I couldn't relate them to specific episodes in the show. That puzzled me; all the main characters have pretty accurate minis, gorgeously obssesive in details. I refused to believe these were generic goons, just made up for the board game. They had to be Patience's gunslingers or Niska's minions. But a Google search didn't bring any satisfactory results.

So I took the only reasonable way of action.

I watched the whole series and movie again.

Only reasonable way of action, I say.

Take my love, take my land, take me where I cannot staaaand...

The unbelievable result is that the minis are made up goons indeed. No trace of them all over the show. Puzzling.
But hey, that was an opportunity then. I could paint all the minis just as I pleased, didn't have to follow any pattern.
So here they are. First, the cowboys:

One could expect these to be in the show!
 They are nice, but a little bit 'too cowboy', if you know what I mean. In the show they have AK-47, machine guns, a mix of old and modern clothes an quite a lot of anachronistic details. These almost look like real cowboys!

Look, look at all of them
I hope the background suits them!
I chose earthy colours for all of them, apart from some touches of colour on the more modern looking clothes. Oh, BTW, yes, the poncho tries to replicate THE Western poncho, of course. There's no point in having a poncho if you don't paint it like the Clint Eastwood one.

Well, the other set of goons is very, very different. They are more evidently urban looking. To me they really look like straight from a 90's beat'em up game:

Streets of Rage, Firefly edition
Lots of them!
And again, an atmospherical pic
 I tried a different palette for these, but not too saturated. I guess that the Paw Patrol guy simply came to mind, these are the side effects of the Suberlings, you know. Also, the guy with the mohawk -my first idea was to paint his skin dark, to add more racial variety, but then I watched the mini closer and could only see Zangief. So Zangief it was. I know you can understand me :D

All the goons, ready to rumble!

 So this is it, I finally painted three full sets of the game, expansions included. Now I only have to wait for the confinement to end and find some time with one of the fellas I painted these for (or even the two of them. Whatever!). I really fancy to give the game a try.

For now I'll just keep on singing.

I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the sky from meeee

35 comments:

  1. I never really got into Firefly, bit that looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It was a really nice show! I do miss it :)

      Delete
    2. How can you miss it? You just watched them all over again XD

      Nice job on these. A pity you didn't get "pushed into engine guy", "Badger's goons", or "snob girls at party" but these are a good mix.

      Delete
    3. Aw man, "snob girls at party" could even make decent civilians, and we all need more civilians. :D Ah well, so it goes.

      Delete
    4. Aaaaargh! Stop giving me such cool ideas! Because I know that as soon as I've played this a couple of times I'll be thinking of how to expand it!! :D

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks, though repetitive, it was a fun job!

      Delete
  3. That is one enormous revolver (well three revolvers)! Yes, they are a bit too "cowboyish" but Firefly was a bit like that at times. Anyway, they look very good and really fit in with the scenery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, that's asking for a 'bang' flag, isn't it? :D

      Delete
  4. I like the thoroughness of your research. It would bug me knowing that they COULD be in the show.

    Your terrain really comes alive with those mooks standing on it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, at some point I simply couldn't believe it. The minis have their own kind of charm, the Chinese swords were too referential... yet they weren't!!
      Of course if anyone proves me wrong, I will gladly stand corrected... and paint them again properly!!

      Delete
  5. LOL

    Les has puesto mรกs cariรฑo tรบ quรฉ los creadores del juego, por lo que leo.

    Vaya tela. Molan, pero si que es verdad que los de cuerpo a cuerpo parecen sacados de una recreativa.

    Mirate el reglamento bien, no sea que si pierdes la partida tengas un continue dejando 5 duros en la mesa ;)

    Me gustan, pero me dejan "muy loco" con esa randomicidad en algo supuestamente serio.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jaja, no sรฉ, las minis desde luego encajan por la estรฉtica, pero me sorprende. La serie tenรญa villanos muy identificables. Supongo que es por no hacerlos precisamente tan vinculados a un capรญtulo o una ubicaciรณn. ¡A saber!

      Delete
  6. Sweet!
    Those look great in your 3D town.
    Cannot wait to see them in a battle report.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I really think these could have some place in your own narrative. They are the kind of scum and villainy we all enjoy on a board!

      Delete
  7. Those look great, Suber! . . . Even if they are generic bad guys. (Yeah, that would drive me nuts too. But what do you do?) Anyway, I look forward to seeing games involving your pro and antagonists duking it out in the faraway stars. :) This is gonna be epic! (Even more so in 28mm.) ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Again, these could perfectly be part of the Tartarus Rim. That's what I like most of them, they are kind of versatile. I'm really looking forward to a game or two!

      Delete
    2. Great minds . . . :) I will absolutely look into this game.

      Delete
  8. A great bunch of villains you have there. The paintjobs are great, but what makes them truly shine is your breathtaking terrain, Suber!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Now you all see it! My terrain was always conceived with Rogue Trader in mind, but with a heavy Firefly influence, so I do pretend to play some Serenity adventures on it! :)

      Delete
  9. Hi Suber, some of your photos are not showing up this morning. I've had the same problem on my blog and seen it on a few others that I follow. I'm not sure what's happened but it seems to be a problem with Blogger.

    I've deleted the pictures that weren't showing up on my blog and put them back on, and it seems okay for now. I just thought I'd mention it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not working for me either... Boo urns!

      Delete
    2. Dang! I's solving it right now. Thanks for the heads up, gents!

      Delete
  10. I like the models individually, but they don't really look like they belong together. Your work on them is outstanding though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean. The two sets are enormously different. Of course Firefly had that kind of visual divergences among border planets and the Core, but you are right, the style on the sculpts makes them look like they were from two different games.

      Delete
  11. A mรญ lo que me alucina es que esas minis parece que las fabricaron pensando en que encajasen con tu escenografรญa..., me encantan las fotos en ella, son alucinantes.

    Por no hablar de triplicar el trabajo de pintado. Ya en serio, ¿cuรกntos puntos de cordura te ha costado?, jajaja

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jaja, en realidad fue un poco al revรฉs, mi escenografรญa siempre ha tenido Firefly en mente ;)
      He tenido que dosificar el trabajo de pintura porque es cierto que es una locura, ¡pero si no los hago a la vez, no los hago nunca!

      Delete
  12. Replies
    1. Thanks! Quite a bunch of angry looking goons, aren't they? :)

      Delete
  13. Lovely pair of bad guy bunches! I'm pretty sure I've seen the film but don't feel qualified to comment on whether they fit but they look like pretty good universal bad guys!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah, thanks! Yes, they serve for quite a number of ambientations. I'm looking forward to playing the game :)

      Delete
  14. As I am re-watching Westworld Seasons 1 and 2 whilst binging on the current Season 3, your cowboy minis couldn't be more timely. Love them ... well done Suber.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, well, they could perfectly be in Westworld, for sure! Glad you like them :)

      Delete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete