29/07/2020

Furbishin' da Dread

This story begins with an innocent 'Daddy, daddy, can I play with your white robot?' 'Sure, son, just be careful don't drop it'
... 

Just a few minutes later

...
Yeah, I guess it was that predictable
 I've been looking for previous pics of the Dread in its original state, but didn't find them. I painted it loong time ago, before I started the blog, and apparently didn't keep any pics of it. Shame on me!

EDIT: Found them! 2010 it was. Wow, I've been browsing into files in my computer so deep that they were almost catacombs by themselves.

As it was prior to the incident

Just found this other pic too. The other one was a commission and I recall painting both in a row


Well, as you can see above, it's a Rogue Trader era Ork Dreadnought. I painted it white/cream just opposite to another 2nd Ed Dread I painted black for the Goff Clan (apparently no pics either, and I sold it ages ago, dammit! I curse you, young me from the past!)

EDIT AGAIN: I happen to keep everything, but I tend to forget where!

They both are much better than the current ones!

Now that I had to glue it back again, I thought I could as well give it anoher lick of paint. In my mind it was easy. My original plan was to keep all the previous work and just add some highlights here and there, nothing too complicated.

Well, it got complicated.

I ended up repainting it all from the beginning, but just repeating the scheme.

The same, yet not the same
Almost all the decisions were essentially the same, apart from some minor variations. For example, the white sun flares on the claws, which I decided to start on the opposite side. I painted the stubber magazine (or is it an auto cannon?) red. Oh, and for the sake of my life I couldn't make the 'fangs' on the belly work in any convincent way. I reckon it tries to produce a pareidolia effect with the visors on the upper side, but honestly, it wasn't working. I greenstuffed the area and turned that part into a mere grid. I think it still works.
Finally I took the poles from the base (what was I thinking of when I put those there?) and repurposed them as back banner poles

So this was it more or less
 I fancied a different kind of banner than the usual, so I tried long horizontal flags instead of a single vertical banner. I wanted them to look colourful, to give some contrast to the ubiquitous white.

Waaagh! Whatcha lookin' at?
Glyph free since 2020
I hope it still looks Orky being so whie!
Someone to take care of this old chap
Hiya! Ya don't no impress meh, blue hummie junk!
Though it got more complicated than I expected (and consequently took more time than anticipated!) I have no regrets, I'm happy to see it back to service again, and I think I can see an evolution as a painter, doing the same thing on the same model, which is always educational, at least.
Hmm, should I paint some white Orks now? Tempting...

29 comments:

  1. Lovely work Suber! I personally love the white colour scheme. The banners are spot on and add vibrancy to the model.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! White was an unexpected choice that I happen to like so many years later. But now I felt it was lacking some colour, and the banners just added that!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks! It finally involved more work than expected, but I'm happy in the end :)

      Delete
  3. Regards, Suber. Your Ork Dreadnought is truly beautiful (will it be the charm of the old editions?).
    It's nice that our children like our "creatures" ... but our "little monsters", as my daughter calls them, don't always survive the clash😊
    Lord Adiatun Varunn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Haha, quite a generational clash :D

      Delete
  4. I think that the changes have added a whole load of presence and character. The sun flares are a brilliant addition, but those banners add some much vibrancy and motion - they really do look as if they're fluttering in a strong wind. Are they just paper? Love them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, just mere paper. I went for strong, vibrant colours. If you look closer, the red banner is in fact not Ork at all, it's taken from 'How to train your dragon' :P (Shhhh...)

      Delete
  5. The repaint looks lovely, those were cool models. But seriously no - the kids don't get to play with dad's toys for that very reason . Hmmm you could start a project making specifically child sturdy dreadnoughts? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, foam dreads! Plushie Dreadnoughts! Oh, my, there's market for that, for sure, hmmm...

      Delete
  6. Great job on such iconic miniatures from the RT days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! They got that specific 'something', don't they?

      Delete
  7. Me parece una gran decisión la adoptada con los estandartes. Se salen de lo habitual, pero le dan un toque de distinción y personalización al Dread orko. El lavado de cara post accidente juvenil, le ha sentado de lujo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias, sí, me apetecía hacer algo diferente, salirme del camino trillado. Me da ideas para cosas futuras... :)

      Delete
  8. First, the dread looks lovely. The new paint seems to have come out very well indeed and I like the banners.

    Second, as the child who broke many of my father's model trains . . . and the adult whose own models have been broken more than a few times by fellow gamers . . . I hope you didn't go too hard on the young gamer in training. If it helps, I have a story you can tell him. The president of my local gaming club turned into a small and eager child once upon seeing my tiny Ark Royal before I could even say boo he'd reached into my carrying case and grabbed Ark Royal . . . and dropped her on the floor, tiny little Swordfish and masts and yard arms going every which way. The sixty year old president of our local miniatures wargaming club. Who delivers the lecture on "ask first." ;-) Poor man turned a very bright red.

    Of course, I've also dropped, knocked over, and even punted my own models in frustration once. And somehow they always come out better after I fix 'em. :D

    I hope you get to play many many games with your offspring. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Haha, that's quite a story! Nah, you have to let it go, these things happen. Suberling Prime is turning five this summer, so I'm more than happy to see him showing some interest in dad's toys. Still not getting any sense of rules or whatever, but 'pew pew' is enormously rewarding for me :)

      Delete
    2. "Pew pew" may the start of all good gaming. :)

      Delete
  9. y esa una de las razones para jugar a dungeons con las sobrinas con las minis del descent o el massive darkness , son de plastiquete de una pieza :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow what looked like a simple re-glue process turned out to be a complicated repaint. Excellent results in the end though. And now to let your son play with again ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! He still hasn't asked for the robot again (Shhhhh...) :P

      Delete
  11. Lovely bit of refurbishing! I'm doing some rebasing of figures I did years ago and am trying not to repaint every one!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Haha, I know what you mean, I've been there too, but the temptation is hard to resist...

      Delete
  12. Bob Ross called these "happy accidents" 😁

    Pues ha sido para bien: ala, déjale que se ponga a reventar tu colección 😍😉 ...en dos días estás hecho un Mike MC Vey. O eso o estás colgando de un árbol 😖

    Grande esa mini! De bien no de tamañosidad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, let's keep it as... accident :D
      ¡Jajaja, seguro que el árbol, jajajaja!

      Delete
  13. Though white is a rarely seen scheme for orks, I like it a lot. The paintjob is a blast. I also love the old SM dread.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I in fact like that cream/white colour, precisely as it's not that usual. I think I may use it again in the future. Not as a Clan colour, but just to see what happens!

      Delete
  14. An incredible repaint, you should give more models to your son to hold and look at. Really digging the banners, they just scream old-school 40k.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thank you! I think I have no need to give him the models, he just takes them and makes me sweat! :D
      The banner thing was more or less improvised as I did them, but I like the idea of changing the usual concept of WH40K banners, that's another thing I may have to revisit in future projects :)

      Delete