15/07/2021

Rogue Trader Ork Mob

 Moar Orksies t'day!

I'm completing this RT Ork Unit. I stil had (redrum)... RT Orks in their sprues. In their sprues! I'm not lying! Fresh new! These last couple of weeks I felt myself like 30 years younger, thrilled like the first day. Oh, what a feeling! :D

 Not really much to say, I went for the flashy approach again and with different skin colours.

Oh, and flat bases. Just because

Huey, Louie and Dewey

I made a couple of conversions this time. First one is the banner bearer, as I wanted to have one. Pretty frustrating that my awful pics burnt colours again, as usual. I really promise that the flag looks much (much) better in hand.

Both red and yellow look absolutely plain, as well as the clothes. Seriously, they are not!!

Sigh.

The other conversion is, I believe, the longest due I had to pay. By far. Long tiem ago, at some moment in between the Eocene and the Oligocene, give or take, a friend of mine gave me this Ork he had painted long time ago, in his teens. He told me something like 'yes, I know, I know, it's a shitty mini, but I'm kinda fond of it, I made this conversion long time ago when I was starting; I'm giving it to you, but I'd like that, if you ever repaint it, please keep its essence, the way it was conceived'.

This is what I got:

Some kind of looter, bearing the stolen gear

When you have a problem it's sometimes a good idea to break it into smaller problems...

I mean it

There was simply no way to unglue that backpack and that arm. Impossible

I liked the idea of the looter, and I tried to keep my work as close to the original as I could. So I left all the armour pieces irregularly stacked over the backpack. I made some greenstuff ropes to keep the pieces together, but it was pretty much all of it.

I didn't know what Chapter was the marine originally from (I guess my pal wanted him to be an Ultramarine), but the stripes on the helmet somehow reminded me the Rainbow Warriors, a Chapter I have never painted before, so I thought it would be fun to give it a try. This is the final result:

Loota 2.0

Messy ropes!!

Well, so here you have them all:

Annoying burnt pic

You can see the yellow & black checkered pattern as the theme for this unit, something I used on the previous batch. Here they are all together:

80's power!

I could (should?) add a metal Nob or something. Maybe I'll do it. But for now I'm happy with da boyz as they are. I currently have no more plastic RT Orks, but I have like tons of metal ones and plastic 2nd Ed ones, so there's still plenty of Ork tide ahead!

24 comments:

  1. Pues te han quedado muy bien, igual recupero algunos de los míos para hacerme una tripulación para el stargrave .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ¡Gracias! Son unas minis muy agradecidas, sobre todo teniendo en cuenta los años que tienen. Se prestan mucho a bandas como las que dices. Deseando ver si te animas :)

      Delete
  2. Beautiful work!
    Love all unit. Gork & Mork bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay more orkies :) You can never have too many orkies. Excellent and inspiring work on show Suber.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can never have enough, that’s true!! Haha :D

      Delete
  4. Excellent work on the Orks Suber, the different skin tones work well, and the loota 2.0 is awesome

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! I’m happy with the loota, adds some more colour :D

      Delete
  5. Great work on some classic RT minis!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! They were enormously fun to do!

      Delete
  6. These all look really cool. Love the one carrying the armour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Simon! I enjoyed them all, but it’s true that the loota was super fun to do

      Delete
  7. Veo claramente a Luigi y Mario Bross en su versión orca. Grande.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tú lo has visto ;)
      Me doy por satisfecho

      Delete
  8. Nicely done! A good mob of RT era orks is a thing of beauty. I love the conversions. And it's great to see one with a beaky helmet in hand. (No ork army is complete without at least one. And of course the companion piece of the beaky with the ork head.) The colors look great and I can only imagine what they look like in person. Lovely stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, they needed one, didn’t they? Those details are always fun to do, and that particular mini was kind of a sweet challenge :)

      Delete
  9. I really enjoy the fact that you give your orks different skin tones. I also absolutely love the variety of colors on their clothing. You are one of several people that will make me finally get around to painting up an Ork mercenary kill team one of these days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Down with the tyranny of the green! RT means an explosion of colour :D
      Come on, I’d love to see that kill team!!

      Delete
  10. They look excellent! I really like the variety of colour. I think you've captures the Rogue Trader feel, especially by involving the Rainbow Warriors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The Rainbow Warrios was a sudden choice, just inspired by the stripes my pal painted back in the day. I had never done that and, just as you say, it felt enormously rogue trader, so it was kind of say no more! :D

      Delete
  11. Splendid looking old school orks!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! You certainly have quite a role in my recent RT Ork mood ;)

      Delete
  12. I love all of them! But that guy with the power armor fixed to his backpack is a stroke of genius! Very unique idea and perfectly executed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! What's not to love about RT Orks?

      Delete