25/09/2022

Mixed Ork characters

 Palette cleanser again. I guess that little by little, this Ork side project is becoming quite a thing on its own! Today I'm just bringing this ooold Painboy (I may have painted it like, I don't know, 25 years ago? More?) alongside this Runtherd, courtesy of Iain from Caveadsum1471.

Vestiges of an era

Besides, I had this other Runtherd mini repeated!

Again, I painted the left one in the mid 90s. Gasp!

I had no use for a third Runtherd (I guess I barely have use for two of them!), much less for two identical minis, so I converted the unpainted one into something different:

Hiya! Havin' fun with a gun!

I went for a straightforward paintjob, so this is what I got with the Painboy:

Totally not a psycho face

I have to admit I failed miserably with what you are about to see. Instead of the classic glyph of the saw used for Painboyz, I tried to paint some kind of wicked Caduceus, with an axe instead of a staff and membrane wings. It is awful, but I'm keeping it anyway, as a reminder for future me. Someday I'll do it better.

That worked better than a Red Cross, anyway

Now I guess I have two Runtherds:

Those are not Snakebite Clan colours

He looks more like a circus artist than a Runtherd

Of course after my recent failure I didn't dare to innovate, so I painted the classic whip glyph that identifies the Runtherds.

Yeah, those are supposed to be ideographic representations of whips

 I'm afraid I do not have enough Snotlings or Squigs to justify having two Runtherds, so I guess I'll have to solve that... (Sigh)

Anyway, have a look of the converted Runtherd. I made another conversion and got him a longer barrel for his gun, now he is the heavy weapons guy from his (future, yet to be gathered) mob:

Separated at birth

The back plate is still empty. Whenever I paint a mob for him to fit in I'll decide what to paint

Better view of the angry gun

I believe I got myself into more trouble, knowing that now I have to get Snotlings and paint more Orks! Ahh, little by little, step by step...

23 comments:

  1. Like the big gun guy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It was kind of an unexpected thing to do, but I'm happy with the fella!

      Delete
  2. I've got one of those guys with a grabba stikk - really must get round to painting it someday. I love the big gun conversion, especially how the gun and the ork's crazy face line up. And the face on the gun is cool! Very nice work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The minis from these years have quite a personal touch, no matter what. The smiles, the eyes... It all helps. So I just tried the most Rogue Trader style I could achieve!

      Delete
  3. Great work on some classic sculpts Suber, I like the twisted medic symbol you've done, as it looks like an Ork tried imitating a classic medics symbol, would fit perfectly in a Blood Axes mob. Have you heard of Orktober ? You can find details here https://imperialrebelork.wordpress.com/2022/09/24/orktober-2022/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! Yes, I'm aware of Orktober, but I'm not sure if I will take part, as I really lack the discipline to stick to such a project, I'm totally Orkish in my methods! I just work on an impulse!! I may well paint some Orks nevertheless, as I do have quite a bunch of minis waiting!!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks! I tried the most colourful approach I could achieve, but not going too over the top. These fellas are enormously enjoyable to do :)

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Haha, thanks! It's always rewarding to paint 2nd Ed Orks!

      Delete
  6. Love them all! The pants patterns, the back glyphs, yes even the painboy one! They look fantastic! I love how you converted that herder into a heavy weapons guy! Great inspiration as I gear up for Orktober!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! The guy was kind of a "let's see what happens" situation, I just took the arm apart and tried what could fit in there. I'm happy with the result though :) Glad you like it!

      Delete
  7. Ooo, lovely painting on some classic minis, and an excellent conversion! Nicely done! The glyphs are excellent too :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The good thing about Orks is that you can try a lot of different things and they will most likely work! (but only if you wish them enough!) :D

      Delete
  8. These are great! I love the little details like, yes, the orky caduceuce, clothing patterns and the face on the gun barrel. I feel like these sorts of things are important to capture the demented fun personality of orks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I believe those are the things that make Orks worth of painting, that feeling of weird charm, the way to read them and make the minis tell a stoy by themselves. Glad you like them! :D

      Delete
  9. Pobres gemelos separados al nacer…, ahora bien, la separación les ha sentado bien, me gusta mucho cómo con una pequeña transformación, has logrado diferenciarlas y darle personalidad a la Segunda. Un gran trabajo, como siempre, en línea con el resto de “tuz chikoz”.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ¡Gracias! La verdad es que no tenía muy claro lo que iba a salir de todo esto. No es una mini espectacular, y ha dejado de ser un personaje indepeniente, pero estoy contento con su nuevo aspecto :)

      Delete
  10. Don't be too hard on yourself Suber. The painboy isn't bad at all imho. Meawnhile that angry gun is simply and awesomely fantastic! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! I tend to be obsessed with such tiny details :D

      Delete
  11. Yasss!!! More classic orks! Like others have said already here, don't be so down on the freehand. Number 1, that stuff is tough to get right! (I know mine is still pretty shoddy) and B. it actually looks just fine from here and totally appropriate to the models and topic. Good stuff mate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words! Anyway, it encourages me to keep on practising :D

      Delete
  12. Splendid work on these classic orks! When I got the runtherders and mechaniks you got 3 in a pack! Great looking conversion work too!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete