02/09/2026

Multi purpose 40K thematic scenery

I'm back with more scenery, but 40K oriented this time. Well, I believe you had already guessed that by the title!

It comes from the Kill Team Moroch box, I got it second-hand from a friend who only wanted the minis. Though I have seen these pieces mostly in grey, I chose to tie them with my weathered white and orangre previous stuff, and then this is what I got.

I'm not really sure of the purpose of this first building. Is it a missile silo? A cargo bay? Whatever it is, I gave it the usual treatment. It looks really battered... 

It's so big that it doesn't fit anywhere! Gasp!
Let's get a side view

 Next one looks like some kind of auxiliary building. Not a bunker, more like an industrial facility:

Well, a bunkerized industrial facility
I love how crowded of details these kits are. Pads and gauges everywhere. Not sure of what their function is, as they are placed in quite odd places, but they look nice anyway.

Besides, leaving some windows open allows proper ventilation and good neighbour relations
Next piece is what I understand must be a relay antenna:

Tricky to photograph!

I made top antenna detachable for storage purposes!

This can serve as a radar or as a death ray, I'll let you decide. Anyway, it looks cool on a board, if not very functional.

If it doesn't work as a death ray, at least will give you tetanus
The last piece is a pad. Though I thought of adding it to the industrial building on a single big base, like some sort of farm, it presented some storage issues, so I let it this way:

I need a flock of groxes. I really do

 It comes in separate walls and corners, so it gives some modularity:

I know, I know, bigger backdrop. But that's A3 sized!

 A good thing about these elements is that they are stackable to some point, giving you some gaming options:

What a bulk
Not sure if any of these make sense, but anyway
These have been fun to do, even if the excess of details brought me as much joy as despair (ah, the cables! Cables and wires everywhere!). However, I think I have quite a bunch of elements to fill any board!
 
I'm seriously committed to Dave Stone's Season of Scenery, and I'm already working on a final, larger... thing. You'll see what I'm talking about in the upcoming weeks!

30 comments:

  1. Your color scheme works perfectly on these pieces Suber, I much prefer it too the standard grey, you see, and concur with your assessment on GW cables and extra bits, cool but a royal pain ! LOL The buildings are generic enough in shape and details that you can set different roles for them, like the large one could be a missile silo like you suggest, or it could be a treatment works with all those vats outside, or maybe it's an emergency bunker, after all not all Imperials have space marine armour ! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! That's the good part of WH40K, no matter how absurd the design of a piece is, it can really be whatever you please and still make some sense! XD

      Delete
  2. Excellent! The white colour schene looks great. I have these in a box somewhere - I must get round to painting them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Oh, I'd love to see your take on these pieces, making them coherent with your previous stuff, that would be something worth of seeing!

      Delete
  3. Woooa! Excellent piece of terrain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! They all are interesting in their own way... and are not covered in skulls!

      Delete
  4. I really like these. Lots of good detail and not too many skulls. That grimy look really suits them. The design reminds me a lot of the old 40k walls from about 10 years ago. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Right, its appeal resides in not being overskulled (I just invented the word, but you know what I mean). It still looks industrial of some kind and still tied in the 40K general universe, I like that it looks adaptable to different ambientations!

      Delete
  5. They all look really excellent Suber. I think the white shows off all the details better than grey would.
    Could the last photo be a void shield/ force field projector?
    In any event they seem to be an excellent thematic set of buildings and will look great on the table.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Right, I've seen them mostly in grey. Some people even just prime the buildings and that's all, but I wanted something different. Given my usual white scenery, I chose to take that way here, and I hope it works!

      Delete
  6. Very cool - they look great. Though I know if that relay tower was on our table it would contantly be getting knocked over!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Haha, that's precisely my main concern!!

      Delete
  7. An excellent and gaming potential filled project.
    Alan Tradgardland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I usually tend to favour scratch built scenery, but this was quite a reasonable offer and I really like them!

      Delete
  8. Nice work. I do like that antenna.
    Bill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! They have some interesting shapes and I enjoyed them, I should run some games now!

      Delete
  9. Okay, to me these pieces look to be the upper access areas to some subterranean installation site that expands W-A-Y more underground (Space Hulk corridors and rooms type setting? Multiple levels. Aliens (film) sort of creepy vibes with infiltrating teams sent in to retrieve stuff or, isolated scientists.). Just a thought.

    Love them though. The colours, the weathering - would love to see all of your 40K terrain set up on the table.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaaaagh! Don't do this to meeee! Don't force me to build those corridoooors! LOL

      Delete
  10. Looks great! They’re basically sci-fi hills so they don’t really have to make any sense haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I know you're right, but I cannot but think "ohhh, what does this button open? "ahh, what's this lever for?" LOL

      Delete
  11. Lovely stuff. You do a great job with your colour choice and it has a 'lived in' look that I really like.
    You've got something bigger planned? Awesome. I'll look forward to seeing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I just kept my palette, it's just the very same scheme I always use for sci-fi buildings, so I try to tie them up. It was a fun thing to do.
      I'm already working on... well, something totally different, but that still qualifies for the Season of Scenery -I hope! I'll try to get it done during the next weeks!

      Delete
  12. ohhhh maybe I should do my landing pad in weathered white

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's fun, as white for buildings used to be a classic sci-fi theme, but we seem to have forgotten about it through the years, so now it looks kinda shocking. When you don't have to worry about your building looking clean or crisp, it all becomes easier to paint LOL

      Delete
  13. Great stuff, these are fun pieces of scenery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are indeed, I enjoyed the whole process. Now I need to run some games!

      Delete
  14. Lovely finish on these GW pieces, I like the white, very space 1999! Corridors sound great!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I believe there's some subconscious experience that ties us all to some tropes as white for sci-fi or similar :D

      Delete
  15. Te han quedado de maravilla, tentado estuve de pillarme el set que salía a la venta en el coleccionable, pero me mantuve sereno, ya tengo mucha escenografía y no necesito más, pero siempre es un placer verla aunque sea en fotos pintada.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ¡Gracias! Yo en principio no iba a comprarla, aunque me gustaba. pero mira, se me plantó la oportunidad ante las narices y no pude resistir XD

      Delete