18/08/2026

Countryside scenery

 Before I get back to large projects, I thought it was a good time to get some small stuff done. Some time ago my friend Hetairoi handed me this tiny chapel by Tabletop World. As they have released a new model, which he got too, he had no use for the old one:

So now I have a chapel!

My recipe on this kind of stone (as I tried on my Gondor Mansion earlier this year) is priming a light grey all over and then painting random stones with different colours and hues:

You can go wild with them

Now that I was starting the chapel, I also painted this set of stone walls by Reconquer Designs:

A bunch of stones

It's a medieval stone pen, but it's completely modular, so it can be used as a stone wall (as you'll see later!)

Sooo different colours! No need to be shy, you can use almost any colour as long as it looks natural

Just use any earthy colours

Even if you think they won't match

After that, I gave a Nuln wash all over. This helps to make the slabs and stones stand out and it gives the whole thing better definition.

The same but darker

And better defined

Don't worry, the stones won't look out of place, as now it's time for a grey drybrush, that will get all suitably equal. After the drybrush I added some watered down dark green wash on the lower part, to give the impression of humidity retained on the stone through the years.

Looks better now!

So does this!

Now the real party begins! To give the impression of real texture we need some lichen and moss. If you know what you are doing you can go any direction with this. I mean:




 I didn't dare to overdo it. With an old brush I splattered very watered down colours to create irregular stains. Mostly white (a lot!), then different shades of brown and dark green and finally a vivid green:

Final version of the stone. Remember to wash your hands after this

Not as spectacular as the chapel, but the work is the same

Weeeeell. Now it's time for the copper roof. I admit it, first time in my life painting one of this, so I checked quite a lot of pics and videos. I painted all the tiles copper and then added the verdigris: turquoise mixed with light green and a little white. The thing is that I added so much that it in fact covered all the copper! I mean, I guess that's precisely the way it's supposed to be, but I could have saved myself the trouble of painting the metal in the first place!

I mean it!

I'm not that sure about the weathering stage. I went a little crazy with worn out tiles, rusted effects and so. I left it like this, and I don't know wether it's too much:

Needs urgent maintenance!

Anyway, it will serve on my fantasy settings, and dirty buildings will always work there!

Here you have a front pic of the finished building:

Ta-daaa

A close up of the (very corroded!) door:

Please knock gently

I tried a little experiment on the shield on the front. It depicts some sort of patron angel and I wanted it to look really worn and faded, as though the original colours had slowly disappeared after years of exposure to the elements. I applied all the original colours as they were supposed to be, but incredibly watered down, so only a remainder of them are left. It looks more grey-ish and full of lichen, so I guess it more or less gives the impression I wanted:

The poor guy has known better times

The inside is cozy and pretty plain. I painted the book on the altar, but still haven't added any motif to the wall. I was thinking of some small Baroque reredos, but I'm not sure at all.

Need to decorate it!
Oh, BTW...
 
Of course I've been suggested to paint this dierctly on the wall. Hmmmm

Here you can see the chapel with a couple of modern minis, on the 32mm side of  things. So they fit in, this is the standard scale now, for sure.

Bretonnia on steroids

About the stone pen, here you can see it in it's original configuration:

Now I need some flock or something!

But as you can see, it's totally modular, so I can do things like this:

Maybe not the Great Wall, but it works for me!

Note to self: The board has to be incredibly flat to make this work, even the tiniest flock or rubble makes the walls totally unstable.

Well, this is it! A couple of pieces for a number of settings, and they count as an entry for Dave Stone's Season of Scenery! (Hopefully I'll be able to do some more stuff before the deadline, wish me luck!)

1 comment: