Saturday, 19 August 2017

Moisture vaporator... on a budget


New installment in the 'on a budget' series :D

Today I have the invaluable collaboration of the missus, who generously donated this empty can of hairstyling whatever-the-thing-is to the cause.

The other element is a tap of a cologne can. No product placement
Soooo, what can be made out of these? I oddly envisioned some kind of Tatooine-like moisture vaporator... or something like that. Not sure of what would be the result like, but let's add just as many rubbish pieces as I can...

Card, MDF leftovers, whatever
Classy
BTW, classic staples ladder, useful everywhere
 You begin to see what I had in mind? The cologne tap will be the contol console:

General overview of the original idea


Control panel. Looks simple for such a large thing!
Then to the colours! I firstly primed it all white:

We're finally coming to something
 And then I thought it would look nice in some desert colour. I tried the water based Montana sprays with this result:

And suddenly I didn't like it

Right. I didn't like what I saw. The piece in white gave me the vaporator vibe I was looking for, it was more Star Wars -ish to my eye, if that makes any sense. In colour... not that much. I felt I had to paint it white again!

So I did paint it again. Then it was time for weathering and detailing...

Some night shift work
Now some rust over the dirt
Funnily enough, having primed it three times, it now has an interesting texture. It helped weathering to look more natural. Weird.

OK, after final details, this is whay I got:

Daylight!
Still uncertain of its purpose. Let's stick to the moisture vaporator theme
It looks shabby enough to fit on any RT setting
A couple of close-ups:

No, I don't know how to operate that
I was just about to pull that handle and run
Now I have to think about storage issues, ahh.....
 Finally, a magnificent show of my uttermost knowledge of photoshop:

You couldn't say what's a miniature and what's not
Ahem, let's call that a moisture farm and let it be over.

The whole process has taken no more than a few days of actual work, but they were spread along a few weeks. I kind of like the result, I may have to build a full complex in the same fashion...

28 comments:

  1. Oh, that is a great piece of terrain! Excellent work Suber!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I enjoyed it so much!

      Delete
  2. That's fantastic Suber! I love your glass/screen effects, you always make them look so believable. A cool looking "water evaporator" if I ever did see one.

    Cool bananas mate :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha,thanks! My glass procedure is terribly easy, I think it works better at some distance. Now, as I said, I think I need a whole moisture farm. Need, I say. Need.

      Delete
  3. Well done, good looking prop. A bit Freudian perhaps, but people will definitely notice it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha!! Ouch, now I cannot but see it...

      Delete
  4. Superb mate, that really does look superb!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! You can see it's all about mixing weird rubbish :D

      Delete
  5. Perfect, I'll do my best to replicate it !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to rely on the missus, unfortunately I need these hairstyling products less and less each year. I bet you can use some other stuff, I'll let you explore the possibilities...

      Delete
  6. Brilliant work. Should be very useful when the new Star Wars tabletop game comes out later this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hadn't though of that, but you're totally right! Ohhh, you're lurking me into the dark side...

      Delete
  7. Great work sir and an interesting piece of terrain to boot. It has a lot of "presence" without tying up huge amounts of the board.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's higher than my usual stuff, but I think it makes a different kind of scenery and on the whole I like it :)

      Delete
  8. Just fantastic! Love all the gribblies and the paint work. Really looks the part.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! You can see it's nothing too complicated at all. Less is more :D

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Thank you! Now I'll have to see if some tupperwares serve me as farmer dwellings... :D :D

      Delete
  10. This is great! It really does demonstrate how straightforward these kind of constructions are, as long as you add enough detail and weathering. Many more please :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Haha, I think you're right, weathering and adding silly stuff is the recipe to make anything work.
      Now I have to visit back your blog for inspiration. All your casbah stuff and so is really in the line I would need if I dare to do more buildings...

      Delete
  11. Great work! Going back to white and adding the red stripe and number is certainly the right choice too.

    And I am impressed with your avoidance of TWO data consoles, I would have thought it natural.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, that's because the budget cuts. I will complain to the local hidroponic moisture authority for their absurd specifications! :D

      Delete
  12. ostras! me encanta!! :D
    te ha quedado genial!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ¡Jaja, gracias! Como ves es una cosa muy tonta, pero es graciosa :D

      Delete
  13. I said it before and I'll say it again. You're super creative Suber and the results you get are simply amazing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I enjoy converting boring stuff into something new. I of course lack your skills, but I nevertheless have fun going to uncharted places :D

      Delete
  14. Great project! I seem to save a lot of trash but never actually build anything with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's really fun how you can build something from scratch. Almost therapeutical! :D

      Delete