17/02/2018

Cultivating the Cult

The Cult expands. The word spreads!
As I told you the other day, my first Overkill Hybrids to paint would be the 3rd and 4th Generation ones. Essentially because they have a lot of pieces and I needed to paint torsos and certain bits before glueing, so the sooner I had these finished, the lesser risk of losing stuff among the lead & plastic mountain.

First of all, the minis are just superb. Oh, wow. Details, poses, everything. Being plastic monopose as they are, the range is top notch in its category. I think that these bodies combined with Mechanicus bits would offer really interesting results.

Anyway, the minis. I didn't convert them, just as I did with the Genestealers and for the same reasons. I may regret this decision in the future, but for now I'm in peace knowing that I'm making some actual progress. Here you have them. First of all, the Fourth Generation Hybrids, armed with autoguns:

Nothing spreads the word of a cult better than xeno hybrids with guns
Just in case, a brief reminder of fluff. Genestealers reproduce by infecting victims (you know, Alien style), humans in this case. The offspring will resemble the Genestealer, each generation infecting more humans and diluting the bloodline. So first generation Hybrids are pretty close to purestrains, while second, third and fourth generation are gradually closer to humans, so specially the latter can infiltrate Imperial society and rot it from within.

Third generation Hybrids. Bigger heads, suspicious claws
Colour wise you can see that I opted for brown bodysuits and grey armour. Mining labourers looking. My photography skills don't allow you to see it, but there are some different skin tones, while keeping them all in the purple side, as did with the purestrains. I really wanted to add some more racial variety, but I couldn't make purple work fine with darker shades of brown. I will make some experiments, but for the moment these will have to work.

All the minis have small bandages and badges. I've painted them all in classic Genestealer Cult purple, as it was the way to tie them with the old colours. I found it a way to represent their adhesion to the cause, with a colour code identification. It is the way the neophytes recognise each other, the way to say which side would each one stand for.

Third generation with special weaponry

I replaced one head with a closed helmet, which is nothing but a sphere I found in my bits box. Trust me, I have an use for that spare head ;)
I didn't paint the mining lasers in khaki, as they are not really weapons, but mining tools, so I kept them different and painted them grey.

The minis are fabulous, but they have an insane level of details, they took me longer than expected. I think I need to take a breath before repeating the whole process on the first and second generation Hybrids; but don't worry, as I'll be working on the Cult too. I'll find out how far can I reach with that Hybrid head... ;)

24 comments:

  1. Fantastic looking minis once again friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! Now working on more...

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks! The sculpts are great indeed, that makes it quite easier :D

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm getting quite fond of the Cult, much better minis than had expected, I have to say. Looking forward to seeing more of your own Hybrids ;)

      Delete
  4. Superb mate, these guys are looking excellent! Great colour choices :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I thought brown & grey would work fine. The possibility of painting the bodysuits in orange could maybe have worked, but I don't think it had combined well with the skin tones...

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks! They are quite a sweet range, among the best things I've seen from GW in quite a while, alongside the Mechanicus bits boxes :D

      Delete
  6. These look fantastic Suber!!!๐Ÿ‘

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you! These could also be part of your massive aircraft carrier crew... ;)

      Delete
  7. Nice work, Suber. Fantastic miniatures that have come up nicely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! They are quite evocative, and I think they can work in a number of settings, not only 40K, they are really nice figs.

      Delete
  8. Cracking job. These almost got me back into GW but I managed to resist. Just about. I shall enjoy you bringing your own to life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Well, I have to say these have been the first GW purchase in quite a while, and I don't regret a thing :D

      Delete
  9. They look great! The basing is very nice as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm keeping the bases quite neutral, as I want to build some scenery for them but haven't yet decided the 'theme' for the mine, so I'm keeping my choices open in case I want to add some rubble or stuff later on :)

      Delete
  10. Oooooo ... really nice work on the cult! I was expecting one of them to have a Tom Cruise head but oh well ;) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be a fabulous "Mission: Impossible 40,000" indeed!

      Delete
  11. Stunning work, as per usual, Suber. The mind boggles at how big this project is going to be by the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's still in its early stages. Now I'm working on a vehicle, but I have some ad hoc scenery in mind... this is growing too fast!

      Delete
  12. I've always been a fan of Genestealer cults, yours looks mighty tempting to start one myself and very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The minis are incredibly detailed and awesome, I cannot but recommend them!

      Delete