27/05/2018

Sharkpothecary

I've been out of blogging for a couple of weeks, but not idle at all! I'm afraid that the doctoral thesis is quite a demanding mistress. Anyway, I'm here about minis, so minis it is. Let's have another realscale Space Sharks day!

I had a look at this termie and I had an idea...

A skeleton on the leg, vials and stuff on the belt...
I could make an Apothecary using this one! So let's do it:

I dismembered my poor Ultramarines Apothecary to get this

Until I got this concept


However, I wasn't satisfied. Yes, it was technically correct, but it lacked something, the mini didn't have that inexplicable thing I was looking for; maybe it looked too generic, too hollow. Then I noticed this other guy...
Would I dare...?

Hell, of course I dare
This one was really challenging. Cutting the left arm out was like a nightmare, as it is not a separate piece, but is attached to the body. So I was scared of ruining it all. Fortunately I managed to get rid of it and all the torso, So I could use the upper body I already had.

But why the strange pose? Isn't it a little bit... you know, ridiculous?

Well, not if he's attending a patient!
The injured guy was made using those old termies legs and regular torso and arms, all conveniently greenstuffed. Now I was pleased, the mini represented much better the role of the Apothecary on the battlefield, attending and protecting a wounded brother. So I could begin with the brushes! Let's try the classical white scheme...
50 Shades of White
 OK, some more details later...
Is that... a turtle on the kneepad? Space Turtles Chapter?




In Maori culture, turtles are a symbol of long life and healing, so it was settled, Doc needed a turtle. The text on the gleave reads Whakamahu, which in Maori refers to the act of healing wounds.
A Shark surrounded by Maori style turtle shells, a symbol of shielding and protection

The wounded guy in regular Carcharodon colours
So, how do they look in the end?

Ouch. Stop posing and treat me!
Too white for battlefield deployment

So this is what I got for now...

No, seriously, we got two guys as reinforcements... and one of them is severly injuried?
But of course there is one question remaining. What happened to the first set of legs I first intended to use for the medic? Ohhh, I have already started the next Space Marine. Soon, soon... (hopefully!)

20 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you! It was quite a challenge, hehe

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks! I knew I wanted him to look different than the first attempt. The protecting pose works much better for me, makes more sense :)

      Delete
  3. Yeah, that apothecary is just awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It had to be clear that he's the healer guy, so the generic pose didn't say anything to me. I think this works better, but it took me some time to see it!

      Delete
  4. Excellent conversion. Superb pose and paint job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! There are things that could be improved, of course, but I'm fine with the result, I'm leaving it just as it is!

      Delete
  5. Suber ... you see things that I cannot even begin to imagine ... superb conversion work! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! It was this pose or a field operation, I thought the less gore approach was better :D

      Delete
  6. What a great take on a classic "battle brothers" pose. The walkthrough was really helpful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think it was the pose that worked better for the Apothecary; it has some strength, some 'proper' vibe to me. Glad you like it :)

      Delete
  7. Absolutely awesome mate. This conversion is really impressive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was something I think it was needed, looks suitable for these tough guys! :)

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. ¡Gracias! Es una pose que me gusta, le da un toque de portada de codex :D

      Delete
  9. Awesome looking true scale marines. I've been wanting to try my hand at them for an age.
    And who doesn't love the Charcharadons?
    Space Sharks FTW!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thanks! I’ve been wanting to do these for ages too, I hope I can have a decent batch of them in a few weeks!

      Delete
  10. That's an excellent conversion you did, almost like a diorama.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I like the composition, I thought it could be fun :D

      Delete