11/03/2019

Inner spaceport

You thought I was kidding when I talked about building a spaceport for my recently painted spaceport crew? Ha! :D

In fact this is but the start of a (pretty much) wider scenery project. Until I can show you real progress, let me just state that the plan in my mind consists of a small desert village which will have a suspicious maze of corridors and catacombs beneath ;) So nothing else than the town above my other current scenery project. I'm not sure of how will I be able to bring both together (and how long will that take!), but that's not really bothering me at the moment.

I have some pretty crazy ideas which I still need to develop, but those will be revealed in due time (i.e., as soon as I make up my mind!!). For now let me start with part of a building, precisely a spaceport. This will be quite a centerpiece on the board, just for its size if not anything else. I'm planning to use foamboard for the main structure, but it's more practical if I build and paint the inner part of it in advance and later on I build the structure around it. Let me explain with pics.

First of all, I used this Danish butter cookies box:


Seriously, has anyone ever seen actual cookies in any of these?

A foamboard door and some filler for the columns

This is beginning to look like something
I used texturised paint for the floor. It took a couple of layers, as the looks of it with just one was less than impressive:

But you can get an accurate idea by now

It needed some weathering and stuff. I finally got this:





Just a close up of the workbench. A fire extinguisher (safety first!), a toolbox and a couple of gas cans:

I have to add tools and dirty stuff, but I guess it works for now
This is all I have right now, but I'm already working on the whole building that will host this tiny spaceship garage. You can see it's not impressive at all, just a 30cm (1') diameter hollow space, but I hope it will look better when in place.

You may legitimally ask why bother on all this when Knights of Dice produce this beauty (it is a real beauty):

And has a European distributor: Shiny Games
I hope you'll understand when you see what I'm up to. But of course I can be persuaded of having two spaceports instead of one :P
All in due time. For the moment I have more than enough with my ongoing projects. I'll elaborate more on all this as soon as I have something decent to show!

39 comments:

  1. Looking very interesting Suber!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It is going to be quite a challenge (or at least it is already in my mind!), so let's see how I manage the project.

      Delete
  2. Te está quedando muy bien, esas cajas de galletas son muy apañadas, igual te guardan hilos que te sirven de escenografía, yo usé una para hacer un helipuerto para infinity pero no quedó ni de lejos tan bien como lo que te está quedando a ti. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias, es verdad, son muy socorridas, jaja, tengo otra por ahí, a ver qué hago con ella :)

      Delete
  3. WoooW! I can't bealive! Excellent work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Just a starter before the main dish ;)

      Delete
  4. I can't remember were I heard about this city. Maybe on this blog! But look up the under ground city Derinkuyu. Apparently it's the most famous of many ancient underground cities that stretch back to 8th centery B.C. if not earlier.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derinkuyu_underground_city

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Derinkuyu is certainly impressive and a source of inspiration. I'm planning something in that fashion, but both up and down the hill, with excavated rocks and houses and stuff. Pretty wild idea, I still need to check what's really feasible!

      Delete
    2. Understand, also got to see what all you can fit into your house.

      Delete
    3. That's going to be the real issue here! I'm dealing with some extra planning to make sure I can manage all (or at least some of) my crazy ideas :D

      Delete
  5. Great work so far....I'm intrigued to see where this will go :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope I'll be able to show some progress soon!

      Delete
  6. Tu capacidad para crear ambientes y universos es impresionante. Este hangar no hace sino confirmarlo. ¡Felicidades!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ¡Gracias! A ver de qué soy capaz realmente...

      Delete
  7. Looks like a perfect landing spot for a space smuggler who shoots first and has a walking carpet as a partner.

    ...and owes money to a giant slug looking crime boss...

    Very Nice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! The round spaceport thing is quite a trope, it was certainly needed!

      Delete
  8. This is a really imaginative repurposing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Those cookie boxes are really asking for something more! One day I'll open one, see cookies inside and I won't know how to react!

      Delete
  9. You're going to have this sunk into a gaming table aren't you? Like Owen and Beru's farm?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, you can read through my mind :D
      This will be part of a wider full board. This particular piece will serve another purpose, but I'm wondering about that very concept of the underground dwellings and so. I'll try to make it work!

      Delete
  10. Do you really need an excuse for more spaceport buildings? I hope Alison is right. That would be AWESOME! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, no one needs an excuse for a spaceport!! :D

      Delete
  11. Looking great so far! Sunken into the table? Even better, and then it can be a perilous pit other times.

    And space ports need ships...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, sir, don't get me started about ships! I have a few ideas and all of them are too dangerous! :D

      Delete
    2. Man, now I really want to see what you could build! A few light freighters/scouts/fighters/one man traders would not be too much, and think of how useful they would be...

      Delete
    3. Haha! Aaargh! Stop! Stop! :D

      Delete
  12. I like the idea of haven a desert city partialy hidden beneath the surface. It makes a lot of sense because it's probably a lot cooler the deeper you go. I suspect your Genestealer Cult is going to hide somewhere down there too.

    Off with a marvelous start, the weathering and details are already looking fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I have a few ideas for both surface and underground stuff. Still unsure of how many of them will be feasible in the end, but... there's only one way to be sure! ;)

      Delete
  13. That is brilliant man. Looking forward to watching this one develop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I guess this will take a very looong time, but I'm really motivated towards it! :)

      Delete
  14. Suber you are crazy creative in a good way. Heck if I gave you the tin can cover, two tubes and a curvy handle you would probably turn it into the Starship Enterprise ala Star Trek :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm, now that you say it... Hmm, I wonder what could be done... Hmmmm...

      Delete
  15. Really smart repurposing! Your weathering and details are of course excellent! I look forward to the rest of the spaceport and of course space ships!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm trying to make a few decisions on the spaceport building that will have some impact on further structures. It's fun, but woah, I have a lot of work ahead!

      Delete
  16. Very cool! I have actually seen cookies in those once or twice, but usually it's minis or sewing supplies*. It works great as a hanger bay, and now I want to see if I have one lying around myself, and if a Storm Talon will fit nicely in there!

    *I've actually long been tempted to prank someone by putting a cheap mess of sewing stuff in one, re-sealing it as best I can, and sneaking it onto a store shelf ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Haha, the sewing stuff should be actually be supplied in these! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just saw this on tumblr, made me think of this post: https://solarbird.tumblr.com/post/184334900688/

      Delete