21/02/2022

Ork Gargant 28mm finished

 It is done.

I've finally ended this project. Closure! Party!

You last saw this thing like this:

Coming from this post

So I had to do the box and the banner. Not minor endeavours, trust me. But with Mork's help (or maybe Gork's), it was achievable.

WARNING. TONS OF PICS AHEAD.

Let's go for the box!

This was the raw piece

First thing to do was primer spraying it all over in metal:

Still looking like two fruit boxes

Weird boxes though
 When the air in the room was breathable again, like a couple of days later, I begun to paint the inside. Sorry, I forgot to take pics of the WIP. Not that you are losing that much, nevertheless, as I didn't want to overdo this part. I painted some random colours on random pieces and dirtied it all over. Some Ork glyphs and some hazard stripes are the only thing that required a little bit more attention.

Quite an oversized garage, isn't it?

I'll make better stripes for the next one. Sure
 
I left the explosion of colour for the outer sides. First stage was applying the raw colours. here you can see the box from all the sides:




 
So clean that it hurts. Let's get hands (and everything else) dirty!



 
Working on this monster has been kind of challenging. I couldn't put it on the table, as it's way larger than my workspace. Painting it on the floor wasn't quite an option and I didn't have a proper stool or another similar surface. So I had to keep it between my knees, holding it under my only light source (I can only paint in the late, very late nights, and I can only count with this gooseneck lamp)

Painting against the adversities

But I finally came to a result

Then I just added some tiny details here and there
 
Here you have the finished box:







Some close-ups of a few details:


I started using the horned skull here and there and now I have it everywhere!

 
Apparently this Gargant was raised by Sir Allen Apsley. It raises questions

Glyphs and checkers. RT power!

Oh, and blue flames, just to not make them black



Main entrance

Upper view

 You can see I left the handle unpainted. Just a practical matter, as I would eventually end with all the paint on my hand!But I think it works in its original grey.

 

Now that we have the box, the final item to finish the project is the back banner. If you remember, my pal Rinahe had already made the relief, so it wasn't just a plain sheet of paper; it had all the items on it

Hard to see, but I'll solve that in a minute

The original source is of course this beauty of old:

There was really no point in painting mine differently, so I simply used the same colours. Here you have this step by step:

Main basic raw colours

I used watered down Contrast paint directly on the paper to represent the fabric of the banner. It's the same colour I used on the Gargant itself, so it all would look coherent:

It's a DIN-A4 size paper, BTW

Same process on black, to represent the fabric

Then red

And finally white, the hardest one to achieve

Now I only had the face of the Bad Moon left:

General idea of what I wanted

Iyanden Yellow Contrast paint again

Rest of the colours

If you zoom you'll see the threads in the eyes or the toof, for example

General overview

Slightly weathered and on the banner pole

So this is it.

Be ready to witness the glory of Mork. Ye all praise his Orkiness.

Ladies, gentlemen et al., BEHOLD.

Behold, for this is Morkstroke, and he is the bearer of doom, altar of Mork, holy glory of his name:

Seriously, look for the Orks on his shoulder for scale reference

I honestly don't know what else to provide to give you an idea of its size

Here you have it next to his home:

Should I have painted the box yellow? Hmmm...

Properly stowed

The banner has its place too

Storage is the main concern when you deal with such a beast, so the solution my pal Rinahe provided me is quite clever and solves most of the problems. Of course you still have to deal with room enough for two fruit boxes together! But it's quite easier than needing space for the Gargant totally assembled.

I'm most happy with Morkstroke, you can bet. It's been one of the largest projects I've faced so far and it's taken me roughly more than a year (with other projects involved, of course, but a year no matter what). I think I'm in dire need of some smaller projects just to breathe fresh air again. I have no idea of what will I paint next, but I guess I'll try some regular 28mm minis (I have plenty of those!).

I hope you've enjoyed the Gargant project as much as I have!

44 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you! It feels good to finish such a project! :)

      Delete
  2. O that’s a fantastic storage solution sir! How heavy did it all end up?

    The banner is a thing of beauty! Love that it’s a direct copy of the art from those old (and best) army books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Oh, you just made me check the weight! :D
      The whole case with the Gargant inside is about 4 Kg (almost 9 lbs), which isn't that heavy, all considered! It's quite manageable and the magnets are strong enough to allow relatively safe transport :D

      Delete
  3. Awesome! and fantastically executed. Very impressive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's been a challenge, but I'm happy now I see it finished!

      Delete
  4. Wooooow! Awesome looking ork stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Just a humble offering to Mork (or probably Gork)

      Delete
  5. What an awesome end to the project!

    The Gargant and its carry case are brilliant and I love the Mekks workshop feel of it while it's stored.

    Goodness knows how much space you'd need to get it into a game but its utterly brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Da Meks are happy wit' dere workshop!
      Storage *is* an issue. I've made some room for the case, but I still need to rearrange some shelves and corners around home! :D

      Delete
  6. Sólo puedo ponerme en pie y aplaudir. Bravo, bravo y bravo..., el conjunto es absolutamente asombroso, la cantidad de horas que le has dedicado ha merecido la pena. Desde luego, será una de las joyas de tu colección.

    Por cierto, el trabajo del estandarte es una pasada, no quiero preguntar cómo has acabado de cordura, después de los cientos de rayados que has repartido por todo el estandarte.

    Lo dicho, te has coronado. Enhorabuena

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ¡Muchas gracias! El estandarte ha sido muy entretenido de hacer, y me ha llevado menos tiempo del esperado. Claro, aunque sólo sea por comparación con la caja, que me ha llevado cosa de un mes :D

      Delete
  7. That is just brilliant. So much planning and hardwork has gone into this marvellous project. You should be super chuffed with it all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I am! It's really something special, a piece you don't do every day. It's been more than a year, but I've enjoyed every stage of it :)

      Delete
  8. Estoy maravilladísimo con este proyecto... No ya sólo por el scratch en sí del amigo Rinahe, sino por tu trabajo de pintura. Se nota el mimo que hay en todo ello. El nivel de detalle en su pintado es extraordinario. Mis mil enhorabuenas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ¡Muchas gracias! Es un proyecto que hay que abordar poco a poco, porque si no se te atraganta. Esa ha sido la clave, y me ha permitido disfrutarlo muchísimo :D

      Delete
  9. Fantastic end result Suber, a truly epic project, that is total eye candy to behold, all the detailing on the carry case, just shows the level of commitment to this project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! When you face a project this large, you need to work it little by little, and that's been key for me, it allowed me to enjoy it all :)

      Delete
  10. This thing is completely bananas! And I don't just say that because it's yellow. I've only ever seen full size Gargants in the flesh at gaming stores, where they typically sit in the corner with a sign saying something like "shoplifters beware". I never even thought about the logistics of transporting one... Let alone transporting it in style.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I should place it at the entrance of home! :D
      Transporting such a monster is crazy, so the case was a must. I'm glad you like the result!

      Delete
  11. Absolutely fantastic! Love that banner in particular, some really great techniques there. You can really tell you put a lot of love into this thing! Congrats on the completion of the project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! The banner took less time than anticipated, so I'm happy with the time/effort/results :)

      Delete
  12. Awesome carry case to carry your even more Awesome gargant,fantastic!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! You can see I'm commited to painting Orks, so your minis will be part of this broader project anytime soon :)

      Delete
  13. Esto carece de toda lógica.

    Y me encanta.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. La lógica está sobrevalorada. La lógica es para Spock. Spock tiene las orejas puntiagudas, como los Eldar. Los Orkos detestan a los Eldar. Fin de mi argumentación

      Delete
  14. Brilliant work! This is excellent. It looks just like the old Epic miniature. The carrying case and banner are fantastic. It's been a great project and everything about it is cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I was aiming precisely at that Epic vibe, but the problem is that now I feel the urge to paint real Epic stuff!! :D

      Delete
  15. Well done! It must be satisfying to complete such an epic project. I love all the crazy detail on the box.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, the sense of closure is quite pleasant. Ahhh, fulfilment... :D

      Delete
  16. What can I say? Just, again, thank you and congratulations...

    And, yes, you know: Waaagh!!!

    ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You were the Great Architect of all this madness!

      Delete
  17. That's an amazing banner! Congratulations on your (I hope) biggest single miniature ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hope it is! :D But you can never say!

      Delete
  18. That case is nearly as lovely as what is in it! And it makes for some nice terrain as well... after all most tables do not have anything large enough to hide a gargant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Oh, most tables do not have room enough for a Gargant!! XD

      Delete
  19. Te ha quedado genial..... es un poco Morkista ese gargante..... ahora igual le hacía falta un hermanito Gorkista :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nnnnooooo!!!! :S
      :D :D
      Esa partida de Gorkamorka se ha ido ya de las manos antes de haberla siquiera ideado XD

      Delete
  20. Holy crap, what a magnificent achievement! Well done, sir!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thanks! Exhausting, yet rewarding :D

      Delete
  21. This is proper genius work. Simply excellent, and brilliant! The amount of detailed work here is mind-boggling. I salute you Suber! I am in awe :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! It's a highly enjoyable project, as much as it is exhausting too. The magnitude of this is far beyond anything I've done before, so the challenge has been so encouraging :)

      Delete
  22. Really good job, did you build it yourself or is it an old Armorcast or Epicast model?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was built from scratch by a pal of mine! Here you can see it unpainted:
      http://oldschoolworkshop.blogspot.com/2020/12/space-ork-great-gargant-28mm-scale.html
      It's been quite a project, but I'm happy with the result :D

      Delete