27/02/2022

Time to let Ol' Painless out of the bag

 Once I've finished the monstrous Gargant, I'm clearly in the mood for much smaller stuff. I can't face another large project right now, so I believe I can take the opportunity to paint single minis or any other kind of standalone project.

My palette cleanser today will be this "Ace" by Hasslefree Miniatures, a mini that have been waiting for some time to be painted:

No, not Blain. Ace, I said
 
I've heard that Hasslefree has been experiencing some delivery issues for some time now, but to be honest, it's been quite a long time since I last placed them an order (you know, my mountain of shame doesn't allow it) and I always got the best of them.
Whatever the case, the sculpt is simply magnificent, as usual. It of course resembles Blain from the Predator movie, though it's not an exact replica of the character.
I tried to get it as close as I could, so it meant those 80's Woodland fatigues:

It took me like two or three tries to get a green I was comfortable with
 
Painting camo is always tricky. If you do it right, it will work and you will see a blurry object with no definite shapes (as that's what camo is supposed to do!). But you can't forget that you are painting a mini and that it should look good and distinctive on a board!

I most likely won't achive neither of both goals
 
I used a soft green on all the other gear. It makes some shapes recognizable, I hope, but the camouflage itself is still there.

A mess of greens and stuff
 
I finally made the kneepads, boots and weapon with different shades of black:

The Ol' Painless
Little else! Here you have the final result:



 
I have to say I was much happier before I saw the pics full screen, it makes all the mistakes awfully apparent :D
Anyway, quick'n'dirty job, so I'm happy with what I got. Let's get a comparison shot

Wait, are these two even the same scale?

I'm quite satisfied with having painted anything in kind of a week's time. It feels strangely good! I guess I'll paint a few more standalone minis before I come back to full units or whatever. Who knows!

16 comments:

  1. Excellent work Suber, the camo came out perfectly, and is a great representation of a classic character. As for the scale shot, they would appear different scales ! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The mini is terribly cool, I have to say. The Predator looks giant by comparison, but well, I guess it will have to do!

      Delete
  2. Love it! It's a great mini and one I've thought about getting. Your painting is excellent, and the camo — always a pain at 28mm scale — is superb. The base suits him perfectly too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I've never regretted getting anything from Hasslefree :)
      I have no specific plans for anything, but I made the abse like the Predators. Just in case, you know ;)

      Delete
  3. Funny, I JUST bought the movie on sale. Now I need a re-watch. Great work on the camo. I know how tough it can be, and did my own this weekend. Yours looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, really? :D
      Beware, you may need to look for additional minis you didn't know you needed!

      Delete
  4. Looks good Suber. I totally agree on the challenges of painting cammo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Well, it's not great, but it works more or less, so I'm ok with it :)

      Delete
  5. That looks really good. The various shades of black work well, likewise the green. I think the camo is good: definitely camouflage, but not too bland.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Quite a challenge for me, but it gives the impression of camo, so I don't ask for more :D

      Delete
  6. Oh no, "Predator"! A film that has haunted my (R) childhood since I recklessly saw it in the 1980s... That said, it seems to us that the camouflage uniform has worked well and you have found a balance with the aim of making the miniature clearly distinguishable. Now go, Blain, take out that beast: it's your chance to make up for your inglorious end this time!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, a true classic! Shame Hasslefree didn't make the whole team!

      Delete
  7. I ain’t got time to bleed!

    He looks perfect Suber! Right out of the film.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am in need of mustering the whole crew. I could get the ones by Studio Miniatures, but once I've started the Hasslefree style, I may explore their ranges :P

      Delete