19/03/2018

Wasteland Walker (Pt. 1)

Just a quick side project that came to mind and I couldn't resist. I had a spare pair of legs from a Sentinel kit (as I had used the cockpit before on the mining laser drill). I thought it would be fun to build some kind of small walker.

Ehm... Yes, that is from a serum. One finds inspiration where less expected

Yes again. The cap of the serum is now the head of the walker. Ahem.

A better view

So my idea is some kind of, I don't know, mecha-ostrich. Mecha-gallimimus. Mecha-something. I had this rider from who knows when and where. I only recall having the mini for years and years:

The last Kislevite
He of course had to look a little bit more mechanised...

Anything turns into WH40K with a bionic eye. Anything.
I thought of putting a firearm on his hand, but the spear is just too evocative, it gives the rider that retro aspect he calls for. I put a tiny generator on the left elbow, the place for the shield. It is a field generator now.
What I hadn't considered is that I had to reposition the head, to make it look in the same direction than the mount. So, after 45 minutes of delicate cutter on the neck...

Looks like sniffing something

After some other details here and there, this is the final build:




I still have nothing else beyond this point. I think he works as a wanderer through the ash wastes outside huge hive cities. A manhunter? (xenohunter, mutanthunter, you name it) A junk collector? A knight-errant in search of adventure? Hmmm, I'll think of a proper background for him.
My plan is participating in the Alien Wars event Apologist is running on his blog Death of a Rubricist. If you are not aware of the initiatie go have a look!

I hope I can spill some paint on this anytime soon!

PS: Of course that does not mean I have forgot about the Genestealer Patriarch throne. I'm on that too!

32 comments:

  1. Awesome stuff, like always at Old School Workshop :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! Still trying to innovate :D

      Delete
  2. Brilliant idea, so cool!
    Waiting to see this painted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I've been out of home for a couple of days, hopefully I'll been able to spill some paint on it anytime soon :)

      Delete
  3. That looks brilliant. It looks like it belongs of a White Dwarf cover from the 90's!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, tahnk you very much, I take that as a huge compliment!

      Delete
  4. This is so awesome that I have no more words. Kudos, sir.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! But you can see, it's just a case of 'let's glue some bits and rubbish together and see what happens...'

      Delete
  5. You have the craziest ideas, but that is going to look so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Some things went in a totally different way than I had originally planned, but I think it is also part of the fun, seeing how a project unfolds and gets a life on its own.

      Delete
  6. How cool is that? When I think of civilians, I think of the minimum work possible to fill out the background of some of my posts.
    A complete walker? Madness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, but this is the spice of life in scenarios! I honestly think you master the art of creating a solid background and providing it with proper minis. Everything you do on your blog is extremely creative, and your use of scratchbuilt vehicles is a constant inspiration for so many things!

      Delete
  7. He is going to be AMAZING. I wish I had a thimbleful of your sculpting/modding talent. Can't wait to see him painted, Suber.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! But oh, please, this is but piling up bits and bobs and seeing what happens as you glue them together. In case of doubt just add wiring!

      Delete
  8. Dude, that is superb - how on earth did you see that model in those bits!? Genius! Go and paint it... immediately!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I have to say I've been a couple of days out of town and, being totally out of the project, I have thought of something I could change on the mini. I may try it before painting...

      Delete
  9. Man, your creativity and ingenuity are really boundless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Oh, if only I put all that on finishing my &%#@ dissertation...

      Delete
  10. Looks ace Suber! Your a clever chap with the GS mate. It'll look splendid when it's painted up. Oh, and I totally agree "Anything turns into WH40K with a bionic eye. Anything." :)

    Please don't take any B&W artsy type photos of it when it's done please Suber :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Oh, don't worry, I always screw it up when I take regular, simple pics; if I tried anything artistic for sure it would be catastrophic :D

      Delete
  11. I love where this is going. It's a really oldschool RT style thing.

    As an aside I really wish GW would sell seperate sentinel legs. I would buy dozens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Oh, you are so right, separate Sentinel legs. For sure they would sell them by dozens. I'd definitely get some more!

      Delete
  12. Wow very clever and it looks so dam awesome! Looking forward to seeing it finished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm thinking of a slight change on the mini in order to provide a background and a purpose to the whole thing. I'll try in the next days...

      Delete
  13. Replies
    1. Thanks! A fun, weird project. I still have to paint it!

      Delete
  14. If only I had a tenth of your brilliant creativity I would be a masterclass modeler. Super conversion Suber!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words, but you can see this is nothing but a lot of random pieces glued together! The relevant challenge here will be painting it, glups!!

      Delete
  15. Me he perdido demasiadas cosas demasiado guapas Suber... esto no puede ser jajaja
    Menuda maravilla!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ¡Jaja, muchas gracias! ¡Es bueno tenerte de vuelta! :D

      Delete
  16. This reminds me very much of these articles in the earliest white dwarves on how to build a vehicle from a deodorant bottle :D, and that's a good thing. It's an inspirational and well thought through build, absolutely splendid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thanks! I guess I grew with those in that way of thinking, so scratchbuilding whatever using rubbish and stuff should qualify as bad habits that never go away :D

      Delete