Inspiration not always comes at once. Sometimes you fiddle with some strange ideas that never come to fruition and the result you try to achieve remains on the edge of your own perception, hidden and unreachable. As all of you know, Muses can be elusive. That happened to me this time with the Khorne band for Shadespire. I wasn't able to find that touch I was looking for, just to make the band look different. Fortunately a friend pointed out the right choice and then it all was 'oh, why didn't I think of that!'
|Gladiator heads by MaxMini|
They suited the theme perfectly and fitted the minis, so very little conversions would be needed this time.
|Minimum mandatory conversion|
I took out most of the spikes. I mean, Chaos doesn't have to mean spikes everywhere. It can, and it's cool, yeah, whatever. But please, allow me the option of not having Chaos hedgehogs.
I didn't want to replace the weapons, as tempting as the idea was. Given that the game relies on individual characters, I wanted the minis to remain recognizable at first sight when consulting the cards and stuff. So no weapon swapping nor new poses.
Not all the ideas were good (remember what I told about the Muses?). I tried to make different helmets, so the five minis weren't mere clones, but it proved tricky.
|Didn't find the way to make it work properly|
|So I finally took the easy way :P|
I tried it again with the boss:
|Once again, the open helmet didn't work|
But remember, I do not fail, I just find different ways that won't work. If the quote is really from Edison, then a light bulb went on over my head. I remembered I had this:
|From The Hobbit box|
Would this work...?
|Well, it works for me|
The next one was hard. Not only I hollowed the helmet, but had to take the crest out:
|Also sculpted the skull jaw so it was a closed helmet|
On the other side, the last one was pretty easy.
|No, not Chtulhu, those are chains. Chainmail, you know|
Well, so now I had the five minis, time to spill some paint on them.
|On their way|
The pic doesn't show (you know my awesome photo skills, ahem...), but all of them have different skin tones. I also made some work on the bases. The original ones show a cracked desert, but I put some Das and used the rolling pin I used for the boards, so now the bases are coherent with that.
Let's see the final work:
|Blood for the Blood God!|
Just an example on the board:
|Background still pending|
I hope I can show pics of these and the undead sigmarites on a couple of boards... on a game! Hopefully anytime soon... (That means months, ahem, but whatever...)