23/07/2019

Ogrestealers

You may think I have abandoned my Genestealer Cult project (and I could not blame you!) but it's not the case at all! I have been working on today's minis for some time, but only now I've been able to finish them.

Loong time ago a friend of mine gave me three WHFB Ogres. He had tried to make WH40K Ogryns, but had never gone beyond kitbashing and priming them. My original idea was making some bulky Ork Nobz out of them, but I never really committed to the project. Then, a few weeks ago, I suddenly envisioned what I could really do with such minis. Hybrid Ogryn Genestealers (or is it Ogryn Hybrid Genestealers? Genestealer Hybrid Ogryns? Hmmm...)

The base was there, I only had to give shape to what I really wanted to show. They should be part of the mining guys I already have, so some boring gear was in order. These guys should be tasked with heavy, simple duties, so they shouldn't look very hi-tech at all. Drillers, rock-cutting saws, stuff like that. With that in mind I got these:


Some kind of pneumatic driller. Or something
Rock pincers. Probably
That's quite a saw!
 This was also my chance to bring a fourth guy for the crew, a fantasy football big tough ogre by Hungry Troll I got as a deal some time ago:

That's a saw from a Sentinel walker :D
No news colour-wise speaking, just the same scheme I had used for my previous Genestealer Cult minis:

Regular skin with different shades of purple

I tried to achieve more different skin tones, but failed
However, I hope they work as they are
Looks different from the others, but still in place. Let's say it's a 4th generation Hybrid
All of them!
Less impressive, but the enemies are not supposed to see thir rears
Here you can see them alongside an Aberrant (I guess I should use their rules?).

Man, these guys are big

Down in the catacombs...

I hope those scaffoldings resist!
 

BONUS! If these are arguably the biggest minis in thisGenestealer Cult project, I'm also bringing the smallest ones! I thought it would be fun for the Magus to have servo-skulls. Servo-skulls are quite an iconic element in WH40K since the beginning, and anyone slightly relevant in the Imperium has one. So if the Cult is somehow mimicking the Imperial structures, I thought it would be logical that the leaders wanted to have their own sign of position.
So I took a couple of servo-skulls and toyed with Gaunt skulls and greenstuff...

There's a pin inside the cables

So they can stand this way
Awww, aren't they cute?
Aye, pal, these give us... distinction

This is it for the moment. I don't really know what will be next, but I'll try to make sure it's also fun! :D

38 comments:

  1. Brilliant work on the conversions and paintjobs!

    They're full of creepy character and really fit in with a brood of xenos hybrids!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I don't recall anyone using these models for the Cult, so I thought it was worth a try to see what happened :)

      Delete
  2. Awesome! I love these Genestealer cult, and those servo skulls are ace!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I was done with all the minis I already have, but you know how these things happen... :D

      Delete
  3. Excellent work! I like how the Stealer Hybrid anatomical irregularities work together with the Ogre ones.

    The Servo-skulls are really cute, too. I may well have to borrow both ideas at some point!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It all went smoother than expected, I hadn't thought of the possibilities of these Ogres. The servo-skulls were enormously fun to do, I'm even tempted of doing more :D

      Delete
  4. They turned out great Suber! I really like the disfigured heads, looks like they're transitioning. Great job mate :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The original minis are slightly unsettling, but once you turn them into Hybrids they become evil and twisted, yet not Chaotic-over-the-top, and I find that balance quite interesting.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks! Can't understand why there aren't any 'official' models of Ogryn-Genestealer Hybrids, I think there's quite room for them into 40K lore.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thanks! The minis were asking for something in this fashion, so half of tha work was already done!

      Delete
  7. Brilliant idea! I think the first guy with the rock drill is my favourite - I've always liked it when hybrids have a slightly stunted extra arm as he has. The servo skulls though - genius!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think that's my favourite too, it was the first one I did. The servo-skulls was something that came to mind quite unexpectedly, but I thought they made sense :)

      Delete
  8. Brilliant idea and addition to your cult!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I wasn't even planning to add more minis, but here I am!

      Delete
  9. Ok, that is just an amazeballs concept!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thanks! I'm not yet sure if it's due to the lack or the excess of coffee...

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. Thanks! You can't go wrong with anything in the Cult :D

      Delete
  11. Una gran idea y un buen trabajo, a la espera de ver mรกs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ¡Gracias! No era algo que tuviera especialmente planificado, pero las ideas hay que aprovecharlas cuando vienen :)

      Delete
  12. Not your best brushwork if I may say so, but your skill with the green stuff is sharp as ever, marvelous looking conversions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I rushed it all when coming to the brushes -but that's something happening from time to time. The lack of time, the urge of moving forward... I guess I should take my time!

      Delete
  13. Good work Suber ... the green stuff additions do make a difference and for the better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Well, at least they made the minis look even weirder!

      Delete
  14. Great looking hybrids, lovely conversion work and the servo skulls are ace!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! This is one of those crazy ideas that pop up from time to time :D

      Delete
  15. Brutal! Top idea/execution.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The mere concept of Ogryns with extra arms is disturbing by itself, isn't it?

      Delete
  16. That looks awesome love the sculpting work here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Almost anything fitted in here, so they were reasonably easy going minis to do :)

      Delete
  17. Those are true abominations, perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! They are bulky and ugly, all than one can ask for! :D

      Delete
  18. Almost missed these. Another vote here for the brilliant Servo-'stealer-skulls! That's a first, AFAIK.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I haven't seen them elsewhere, but it's quite a simple idea, so I guess I cannot be the only one :D

      Delete