10/07/2019

Shadespire Slayers

It's been a month since I last wrote anything on the blog. Wow. What can I say, you all know how life can be from time to time. I've barely been able to use ten minutes from here and there, so the minis I'm bringing today have taken almost a month to be finished when I could/should have done them in about a week.

But that's enough whining! You came here to see minis!

These are a commission for a friend, the Chosen Axes warband from the Shadespire/Warhammer Underworld game. You know, those weird dwarfwhatever are they called nowadays. My pal obviously didn't like them (no explanation needed, of course, it's quite evident) and he asked me if I could save the poses but turn them into classic looking Dwarf Slayers. You know, trousers and stuff.
I argued that it would be easier to turn them into Dwarf Hawkmen for a Flash Gordon ambientation, but he insisted. Ahem. OK, so Slayers they are.

I had to sculpt trousers, remove the helmets and sculpt bare heads with the mohawks. Fortunately my pal gave me a couple of actual Slayers heads, that made it definitely easier, as there are some helmets that cannot be removed whatsoever. Judge by yourselves:

The only thing worst than a Slayer is a drunken Slayer
First time I ever sculpt ears
I think I made his head bigger than any helmet
His axe blade went to the boss, I had to look for another one for him

 Painting them was supposed to be easy. I used the very classic white and blue stripes trousers:

Obelix Clan

But my friend considered they looked too uniform. Damn, he was right. These are not part of a militia or any regiment. They wear whatever they want! So I saved one and repainted the other three. My closest inspiration here were classic Gauls and Celts, but with a twist of my own, so they enede up looking like this:

 


No much more to say, this is the final result:



Mandatory family shots:

Colourful pals, aren't they?
 
 It's been a fun project, even if I'm not a huge fan of Warhammer Dwarf aesthetics. These have posed some new challenges (oh, man, to combine those sprues!) and it's been nice to make something so oldschool looking but with new materials and all the advantages of current models.

This is it for now, I really hope it doesn't take me another month to bring new stuff

Cheers!

30 comments:

  1. Hell yeah! looking much better now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Funny thing how much they can change.

      Delete
  2. Better than the originals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Not sure if better, but at least different. I really didn't like the originals, so it was a rewarding proccess :)

      Delete
  3. These are great! Love those pants!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I wasn't sure if they were going to look too dissimilar, but in the end they don't look that bad, or that I hope!

      Delete
  4. Badass! The drunk Slayer particularly looks excellent

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thanks! You don't really wanna mess up with him!

      Delete
  5. Absolutely love these – what a great set of conversions! The way the leader's holding his beer mug is really characterful, and I absolutely love the variety of trousers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I went through some experiments before I found the right angle for the wrist and the mug, but I'm happy with how he looks now. They are quite different from your own conversions, which in fact shows how versatile these new kits can prove!

      Delete
  6. Thanks for these lovely (!) dwarves. You always go beyond the call of duty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope you enjoy them, pal! But... beyond call of duty?? This is but the mere lowest thing you can do! But now you can't unsee Winged Dwarf Brian Blessed!! :D

      Delete
  7. They've worked out very nicely indeed - a great combination of modern dynamism with more restrained old-school designs. I much prefer your reworked versions, because of both the classic look and paint schemes.

    The blue and white striped trousers are of course the best though ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jon! It's pretty fun to bring old concepts to life but with new looks... (No, I'm not building realscale beakies... for now :P)

      Delete
  8. Happy to see you're back, I was starting to miss your posts and creations ๐Ÿ˜.
    You're conversions here are an improvement on the models imho, classic but with a modern touch.
    Splendid work on these pants, I wouldn't have minded if they all had the blue and white stripes but some of these look even better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The pants conundrum was quite an inflection point. In the end I think the new patterns work, but it was a leap of faith at that moment :P

      Delete
  9. Excellent work! I had to do some serious conversion work on those as well, but I took a different approach, going for armoured rather than even the Slayer look.

    The blue striped pants remind me of Obelix, from the Asterix & Obelix comics ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! But that's the best part of these minis, they offer lots of possibilities to take so many different paths!
      I really should have done an Obelix... :D

      Delete
  10. Fantastic conversions, lovely work and of course great painting!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! They were funnier to do than expected. The conversion work was challenging, but I feared they ended up looking more or less the same than the originals. I was happy to see they are still recognizable, yet different :)

      Delete
  11. Impressive work Suber. And to add ... there is something worse than a "drunken Slayer" i.e. an angry "drunken Slayer". :) :P ^^

    ReplyDelete
  12. Te han quedado muy bien, a mi tampoco me gustan esos nuevos matadores, y eso que tengo de todas las marcas, desde mars ultor hasta gamezone y avatars of war, incluso los desnudos de ediciones primigenias de warhammer , pero estos con sus cascos y crestas no me convencen. aรบn asรญ te han quedado muy pero que muy bien. y todo el mundo sabe que las rayas verticales adelgazan Asterix :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ¡Muchas gracias! Lo he comentado, tenรญa miedo de que el trabajo de conversiรณn fuera demasiado sutil, pero al final sรญ que cambian respecto de los originales, asรญ que me quedo contento :)

      Delete
  13. Huge improvement over the original models! The paint job is great too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Turning them into classical-looking Slayers was such a cool idea from my pal. I would have looked for something totally crazy and different, for sure, but I have to say he was totally right to foresee the final result.

      Delete
  14. Replies
    1. Thank you! I enjoyed the process pretty much!

      Delete
  15. Replies
    1. Thanks! I wasn't sure of what to hope of the minis, but they didn't turn up that bad :)

      Delete