07/06/2021

Catapulted to fame

 While working on the Gargant I like to keep on painting other little side projects, small things that leave me at least a glimpse of what closure must be :D

Among the many lovely treasures Iain from Cave Adsum 1471 provided me I found the legendary Squig Katapult, a model I always wanted to have but I had never the chance to own. I cannot state how eager I was to finally spill some paint on such an iconic piece of Ork ordnance.

I have always seen it painted black, as part of Goff warbands. But I knew I wanted something different...

Is it different enough this way?

I should check what is written down there

Buzzer Squigs ready to launch

 In the uneven case you are not familiar with Squig Catapults please let me copypaste:

Buzzer Squigs are an insect-like variation of the Squig typically used by Orks in a Squig Katapult, as they are very vicious and a swarm can strip the flesh off a man-sized creature within seconds. Buzzer Squigs are found among Ork fungus groves and are trapped in pots by Gretchin. The special pots are made from sun-baked mud, drilled with tiny holes to allow the Squigs inside to breathe. The top of the vessel is corked shut and sealed with more mud once a good number of Squigs has been put inside.

Normally the Squigs feed by burrowing into other, larger Squigs or small animals such as rats, so when they are captured they soon begin to get very hungry. They can be kept without food in the pot for many solar weeks, getting angrier and more savage all the time.

Gretchin can tell which pots contain the angriest Squigs from the high pitch of the droning and the vibrations of the pot as the Squigs try to burrow out (the walls of the pot must be made thick and hard). These pots, each containing a small swarm of enraged Buzzer Squigs, are the missiles fired by the Squig Katapult. The pot cracks open on impact, releasing the swarm of enraged Buzzer Squigs, who attack anyone nearby.

 Pure orkiness. I love it. In fact this description gave me a silly idea of what to do with the Gretchin crew for the Katapult. You know, you need two of them. I made quite an ordinary conversion for the first one:

I've been wanting to use that wrench for ages

But I took another path for the other Gretchin, as I wanted something more specific, a Buzzer Squig keeper, the guy who loads the Katapult.

Well, of course I got inspiration from a beekeper. The thing is that I tried to do the hat...

...and now he looks more like a catholic cardinal than a beekeper D:

As I was doing the Gretchin crew, I thought I could also paint an Ork Runtherd, so there was someone in charge of all these buggers!

The arm is from the Kopta pilot, I guess?

So this is how they look when painted:

I added a thin net to the hat!

Watcha mean you not happy? [whip] Carry da squigs, you lil grot!

This is the whole set!

If you throw living creatures at your enemy, does it count as biological warfare?

I have some more artillery pieces, but I really wanted to paint this one first. Enjoyable tiny project, and I recovered the pleasure of doing silly, small conversions.

I don't know what I'll be doing next. Moar Orks? Likely, but who can be sure? I'll keep on updating you!



26 comments:

  1. pues te han quedado muy bien, yo esoty mirando a ver que orkos viejos tengo para usarlos para el stargrave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ¡Gracias! Yo quiero probar el Stargrave también, qué miedo me da abrir ese melón...

      Delete
  2. Awesome conversions on the monopose Grots! The Squig Katapult really is an iconic piece of Orky tech and it's great to see it! How about making a buzzer squig hive for the plucky Gretchin to poke at?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, man, a hive... Ohhh, I see it! Dammit! Look what you are doing! XD

      Delete
  3. That looks fab. Great job on the crew especially!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! They were fun to do, I guess I'll end up doing some more :D

      Delete
  4. I vaguely remember these from White Dwarf. Good work on the crew, especially Monseignor Beekeeper!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, Monseignor Beekeeper, brilliant! :D

      Delete
  5. I think the colour choice for the catapult is excellent, really helps define it. The conversions add life and a great comedy element to the crew, all together a great artillery piece Suber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I was fleeing from the usual stuff, wanted something distinctive. If I can't do it good, I can do it different! XD

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thanks! Fun and quick project, now I want to do more artillery!

      Delete
  7. The beekeeper grot crew is an inspired addition - it totally makes sense in the context of the ammunition, put is also brilliantly funny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! You know how my mind works -the sillier the better! I think it added some comedy to the crew, and it still met the 2nd Ed requirements :D

      Delete
  8. I love that you perfectly captured everything great about the Orks in this one little squad: Deadly, colorful, and silly all at the same time. What a great little project! It also really inspires me to convert more. You can't even tell those are the old mono-pose grots!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think these guys needed that kind of approach -silly, colourful and absurd! The conversions are pretty simple, I think I may keep on doing some more for future artillery crews!

      Delete
  9. Brilliant work Suber on such a classic model!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I had never painted a katapult before, so I was really looking to it!

      Delete
  10. Splendid conversion work and delightful to see it painted!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for everything! I hope I can do justice to this lovely stuff!

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. Thanks! It had been a long time since I had last converted anything, so I enjoyed it thoroughly!

      Delete
  12. Closure ... ahhh ... a much sought after feeling that I never seem to get with my own projects.
    But I digress. Excellent orky work here Suber :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Closure is such a scarce pleasure, isn't it? You have to celebrate whenever you can!
      Thanks!!

      Delete
  13. Back in 2nd edition a friend used to field these nasty little catapults all the time... bings back some BAAAAAAAAD memories! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, the thing about Ork artillery is that it was as dangerous for the enemy as it was for Orks themselves! :D

      Delete