10/07/2022

Mech Droids

 I know that, given the title, you may legitimately be expecting some R2 units today. Well, I'll try to make up for the broken expectations with some cool models from the Astropolis KS.

Today I'm bringing the bots, some pretty cute models, I have to say. However, even being so lovely, at first I was quite unsure of what to do with them. I mean, I don't see an obvious function they can perform, and for a moment I considered taking them down to bits and using them for conversions. But it was just a second, I really couldn't chop them down, they are simply too cute. So I just painted them!

Beep booop

They have quite a strong DUM-series pit droid (you know, the mech droids from The Phantom Menace) vibe to me, which makes them adorable, of course.

This droid shows more tiredness than any human-like mini I've ever seen

On the other hand, this guy is super happy

And this other one looks pretty pensive

What I'm saying is that these little fellas are super expressive, even without a face, or two of them even without arms! They are quite memorable sculpts in their simplicity.

I'd love to understand the conversation they are having

I could have added a lot more details, I guess,and I'm not happy with the light effect, but on the whole I think they work and will look nice on the board. By the way, if the Adeptus Mechanicus asks, they are servo skulls with reinforced armour and enhanced functionalities. Just in case.

20 comments:

  1. Great work on the bots Suber, they feel like they were designed for a nocturnal planet, as the main body is a light, and could well be maintenance droids, the one with the check pattern could be a grease gun

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, nice idea! It makes sense! Thanks!!

      Delete
  2. Another master works from You!
    Awesome robots~!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, pal! They have interesting, funny shapes, and I had a good time painting them!

      Delete
  3. I like the sculpts. They've got a lot of charm. Could they be objective markers, or represent rerolls etc the way ammo runts used to for orks? Anyhow, they look very nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I haven't really thought of how can I use them in terms of gaming, but I think I can use some of these ideas!

      Delete
  4. Really cute robots and full of character, even if essential in their structure.
    We would propose that they have no purpose, but are the odd product of the mind of the unlikely team of mechanics you have already introduced. "Why did you build these whatchamacallits?" asked the foreman. "Why not?" replied the genius of the team... :D
    A

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, "why not?", that's totally right. "Just because I could" :D

      Delete
  5. Great work on some great figures! Even just as scatter terrain on the battlefield they will be great. I like Toby's ideas too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yeah, I think they can have more uses than I anticipated!

      Delete
  6. Great work on some really winsome figures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Aren't they cute? In a certain way, sure, but cute anyway!

      Delete
  7. Oh yeah, I love these guys — such inventive sculpts that have tons of personality even without faces! Excellent painting, you've really brought them to life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Right, that's what finally convinced me of leaving them unconverted, they have their own charm and I love it!

      Delete
  8. Great models, but I love the colors you picked for them. There's a fantastic pop with the hazard checks and the colors in their eye-lights. Great additions for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I wanted them in kind of earthy colours; as I said on the post, these were the RT version of the DUM droids to me :D
      However, they needed that touch of colour, and checkers are a must! Glad you like them!

      Delete
  9. Aw these are great. I do feel for that second one, dragging its toolbox along. They're great paint jobs of course, and I love that cargo hauler thing that they're sitting on in the last picture. I can see them cruising around on that 😄

    ReplyDelete
  10. Haha, they look weary, don’t they? Life on the Eastern Fringe can be hard even for droids! I love how much do the sculpts show, even with so little, they were nicer to paint that expected!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Two different variants but both equally awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They all have that funny look that makes them cute and loveable, don't they? :D

      Delete