27/09/2023

Dungeoning misc

 New plot twist! Today it's turn for some good old fashioned fantasy!

Not really much to tell. I was trying to tidy up my boxes of forgotten miniatures and found a little bunch of models not really related to any ongoing project, but that I got just for the sake of painting them.

The first one is this Skeletal Knight from DieHard Miniatures. I got this one as an add-on in a kickstarter campaign, it was simply too good to let it go:

I may look a little bit skinny, but I'm in shape

I tried a lousy attempt of painting a peacock feather, but let's say I may need further attempts.

Oh, yes, the shield totally stopped those arrows. Completely

I also got this Herald Boy in the same campaign as a freebie:

Tooot!

I tried to decide what to do with this one for a long time, as it's more a NPC than any other thing. At some point I even toyed with the idea of 40K-ing the mini, but never truly made my mind up.

In the end I painted the kid as this adventurer's herald:

Yes, I painted that horrendous livery twice

Pleasantly more discrete on the back

This one comes from the sadly now extint ranges by Red Box Games, which now operate with a much more limited catalogue. I do miss those minis :(

This other one is also from the same ranges:

Totally not Green Lantern

Well, maybe Green Lantern in disguise

The last one is a mini a friend gave me, it's this warrior monk from MOM Miniatures:

Not resembling any known fantasy universe

The truth is that I don't have any specific use for these nowadays, but I really wanted to paint them anyway. I'll for sure play Rangers of Shadow Deep or whatever at some point in the future, so it will be good to have a few options on the shelf!

Unfortunate encounter on the marshes!

These all look suitable for some dungeon games, I may have to look into it...

23 comments:

  1. O a very nice selection of random fantasy figs! I'll address each in turn:

    1. Undead Champion looks so badarse! Lovely weathered feel to his armour. Did you add the arrows in his shield/back or were they a part of the original design?

    2. Little herald is trying so hard to blow that horn that I can already hear wonky squeaky sounds coming from it instead of the expected trumpeting!

    3. Red Box was one of my fav fantasy range too. I have a bunch of them to paint still and a handful already pigmented. Your knight looks like the sort of hedge knight that would need a herald so he looks more impressive than his otherwise "poor" image would offer.

    4. This monk looks fab mate! Love how you've painted the lantern. I 40K'd my version of this fig and although he towers almost as large as a Primaris Marine, he fits in well with that setting.

    5. Not familiar with MOM, but now I'm off to peruse their range. Great looking Sigmar-ish battlepriest. Really enjoyed this post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. O and these days, Tre Manor (Owner of Red Box Games) is now producing his minis for the 3D print market. I follow him on Facebook, but I have no inclination to pick up a printer so I just see his progress posts on his new designs.

      Delete
    2. Thank you very much! They all are different, but I love them. The arrows on the skeleton knight are part of the sculpt, this mini is truly outstanding, it's been quite a joy to paint. I've seen some of this new 3D stuff you talk about, but just like you, I'm off that market (which I guess is good for my pocket!)

      Delete
  2. Excellent looking bunch of fantasy figures, lovely work!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I had a really good time painting them and trying to tie them up, it was fun!

      Delete
  3. Oh. What a lovely band of minis!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! They are quite sweet sculpts, each one their own way, so it was a no brainer!

      Delete
  4. What an eclectic group of mini's Suber, all made that much more impressive for your painting and colour schemes. A peacock feather, your a madman for even attempting it ! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! As different as they all are, each one of them has a particular quality that made me enjoy the whole process, even for the peacock! :D

      Delete
  5. Nice band of minis, I love the paint work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I don't have a clear purpose for them, but I'm used to that happening to me, so something will eventually come to mind!

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thanks! I was trying to do something different, and these blokes were such an opportunity!

      Delete
  7. Awesome figures! I think there's a Rangers of Shadow Deep expansion that's all dungeons that may go with your idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I've been neglecting my fantasy side for too long, I'd really like to do some more stuff of this kind. I got the RoSD book and a few other options on the shelf, I really need to put my hands to some serious planning...

      Delete
  8. Nice work! Painting that heraldry must have been difficult, especially more than once. I really like that warrior priest. I'll have a look at MOM miniatures and hopefully not buy anything to add to the pile!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Well, it was challenging, but I felt comfortable enough with the sculpt to try such a thing! I didn't dare to paint a lion rampant or any complex design, but I hope this heraldry does the job!

      Delete
    2. Any freehand is impressive in my books!

      They're a fantastic group and I think despite the different subjects, you achieved a consistent style throughout which really adds to the appeal.

      Delete
    3. Thank you! They are quite different, right, but I hope they look coherent enough whenever they come to a board!

      Delete
  9. Great job, I really like the skeleton knight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! That mini is an inspired design, isn't it? I've enjoyed them all quite a lot!

      Delete
  10. While the other miniatures do have their own charms and appeal, I think the Skeletal Knight looks by far the best. It's an awesome mini :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has a very particular charm, I concur. It's so dynamic, yet purey oldschool! I love it too!

      Delete