26/02/2024

These are not the droids you are looking for

 At least I'm sure they're not the droids you expected. If you ever were expecting droids. Oh, whatever.

I found this batch of Chaos Androids from Space Crusade and also found the willpower to give them a second chance of a new life. They were awfully painted (you know it was kind of 30 years ago...), so I had to start from the beginning.

I don't prime in white that often

I had originally painted them in metallics, kind of Terminator style, which was the closest reference (Necrons weren't yet invented at the time!). But this time I've opted for the truly classic scheme, or something close enough.

There's no way to see it on the pic, but there are three different whites there

I first applied a very, very light grey layer, then nulned it and then went again from the light grey to basically pure white. I discovered than the sculpts, though crude, are in fact better than I credited them for, and have some more details than I remembered, hidden here and there.

How would Mike McVey have highlighted those weapons? I tried my best

It's a very straightforward job, nothing complicated. From this point on it all was just a matter of metallics and little else. I've seen that the original paintjob includes some brass on arms and feet, but I didn't fancy the scheme, I think that plain white looks better.

Before I chose the classic pattern, I had some doubts. If these are Chaos Androids (for these are not Necrons at all!), which Ruinous Power should be their Unholy Patron? The obvious choice for me was Tzeentch, Lord of (forbidden) knowledge. I believe that an AI (Abominable Intelligence) should fall under the Lord of Change's domains. So I shortly considered using a blue and yellow scheme. But in the end I thought that the white, basic pattern was better and sticked to it.

Maybe in a future repaint

Here you have them all, alongside a couple of Dreadnoughts, which, now compared to these, would benefit from another repaint, it seems.

What are we doing on the open field? We need steel and wires

How come my pics with natural light look worse than the inside ones??

It's been a nice and short project, and I have to say I've enjoyed it more than I expected, even with the neverending layers of increasingly white. Not sure of what will be next, but I already have some candidates on the queue!

32 comments:

  1. Te han quedado geniales esos roboces del caos , a mi me regalaron un par y son escolta de mi proxeneta robot. :D ... a ver si pongo fotos de esos necrones tuneados que tengo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ¡Gracias! ¡Jaja, necesito verlos!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks! There's more to these minis than I thought or that I remembered, I certainly enjoyed them :)

      Delete
  3. Lovely work on some true classics! Bill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! There's some kind of special charm when you get to these minis of old, I really didn't expect to enjoy them that much!

      Delete
  4. Very cool project. Ah, tthe joy Space Crusade brought us when we played it back in the day,. I would love to get the whole set painted eventually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I spent endless hours with Space Crusade, I think it would be awesome to get a whole set painted!

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks! I went full old school with them!

      Delete
  6. Wow that was a blast from the past Suber, and excellent classic paint scheme for the Chaos androids, did very much appreciate your AI definition, very fitting for these models ! LOL Personally I think the painting on the Dreadnoughts looks great, just needs some detailing to make them pop like the androids

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It felt kind of good getting back to these models, more than I expected. I believe you are right about the Dreadnoughts; now that they are sooo white they look like some kind of Apple evil device!

      Delete
  7. Excellent looking droids! Nice scheme, I think I have some of these in the loft!
    Best Iain caveadsum1471

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I tried the most oldschool approach I could achieve. Next time I guess I'll have to dare to paint flames!

      Delete
  8. These are really cool. As you say, they're better models than you might think! I particularly like the little wires on their legs. Those dreadnoughts are really cool too. I quite like the white and pale blue look they've currently got.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, the wires or the tiny textures on the feet, for example, are hidden details which are nice to rediscover. I don't think I'll be getting more of these, but for the moment it's been so nice!

      Delete
  9. In our ignorance, in fact, we immediately mistook them for the Terminator's little brothers! Your colour scheme works well: we like the skeletal look even in a metallic organism. Blue and yellow wouldn't have worked as well, we guess...Perhaps the red of the weapons could invoke a devotion to Khorne, the Angry Intelligence?! 🤔

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I believe you are right, I didn't find a blue/yellow scheme that worked well in my mind. White was a no brainer, and I thought it was safer to go on the cold side of the palette (no bone/white or cream/beiges) to enhance red/orange. I'm happy with the result, and I'll have to give a thought to the Angry Intelligence!! XD

      Delete
  10. They look so good! Nice to see them in the grey/white coloring. I should push my fan sculpts to the table.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! After the dark (and dirty) metallics scheme I had painted them with 30 years ago, this white, light approach made me see them as totally new minis, it's been fun. Oh, I'd like to see those sculpts!

      Delete
  11. Robots viejunos y molones con dreadnoughts viejunos y molones de fondo...poco más se puede pedir.

    Buen trabajo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ¡Gracias! Es un ataque de nostalgia en toda regla :D

      Delete
  12. That colour scheme is great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Apart from the blue/yellow scheme I talked about, I briefly considered some kind of chrome, but in the end I think they work in this cold white, so no regrets :)

      Delete
  13. Very inspiring Suber. My next project involves about thrity necrons, but i Will not dare to go for a white scheme. Too much job. Metal and washes Will do for me..... But thinking about red weapons instead if black ones....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! White can be tricky (How many layers are enough? How many are too many?), but metal will look great, can't wait to see those!

      Delete
  14. Great old school vibe with these minis and your paint job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I didn't think a "modern" approach would suit these minis, they do have to look aldschool! :P

      Delete
  15. Simple .. .effective ... and most importantly they look nice!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looking good! I painted my metallic silver too back in the day. So much cleaner and spookier in the white. Lovely jobs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! If I ever try that metallic approach again on robots of any kind, I guess I'd like to try chrome paints. Some day!

      Delete