23/04/2024

St. George and the Dragon

It was a matter of pure coincidence, but I was looking for some other stuff over the net and I eventually found this:

 Oh, you can see how I had no option but to get it, right? It belongs to Reconquer Designs ranges, which have quite pretty interesting medieval stuff, mostly focused in Reconquista, but with some other generic models.

In fact I found it on my local shop's web, which has a 3D printing service, and it made the whole thing much easier. When I got the actual model I couldn't be more pleased. Absolutely delightful and just right like the pic above. The details are stunning and everything was lovely. So I couln't wait to throw some paint on it!

This is technically a Wyvern, but it will do

I thought of doing the dragon red, but in the end I went for a more classic green. In fact I gave it the same treatment as the Orc Warlord on Wyvern from a few weeks ago. I made some research on St. George and the Dragon representations in art through history and there are a lot of different interpretations and readings of both the knight and the beast. However, I think this is the first time I see St. George in this Norman style.

To be fitted later!

Apparently St. George was a Roman officer of Cappadocian Greek ascendance, a Praetorian to Diocletian, and who was sentenced to death for not abjuring his Christian faith. Wikipedia assists me by stating that the Diocletian Persecution of 303 was especifically aimed at Christians within the ranks of the professional soldiers of the Roman Army, and hence when George was caught. He was beheaded at Nicomedia on 23 April 303. So the tradition says.

It seems that the cult to St. George became popular in the following centuries. But what about the dragon? The legend doesn't come up until the 11th century, spreading through Europe during the 12th century.

Yeah, that guy is nothing without me!
 

(By the way, do you see that hole on the dragon's neck? It's designed so the spear can go through it when the model is assembled. Seriously top notch design work!)


Once upon a time... It is said that a dragon built its nest on a natural spring nearby the town of Silene, Lybia, and that the people gave two sheep each day to the beast so they could get water. But at some point there were no sheep enough, so they started to give the dragon human sacrifices, on a raffle basis. The system worked until one day the King's daughter was chosen. Only then people seemed to have a problem with the whole thing (Hello?? No one is making any kind of social criticism here? Ahem. Never mind...). Long story short, George faces the dragon, kills it and the citizens of the town became Christians. Woohooo.

Well, there are way better sources for the story than this blog. Go make some research.

Going back to the model, I had this little frame at home, and I thought it was perfect for this occasion:

Come on, dragon, go home, you're drunk

Some DAS putty to make it more 3D

I had some doubts when it came to painting St. George. There are as many representations as artists, I'd dare to say, so I didn't feel bound by specific colours. I couldn't make his clothes white, as that was the colour of the horse. I thought of green, but it was all too green alongside the dragon.

Besides, I'm getting a Rohirrim vibe here

So this was my final take:

It took me some time to get to this solution

In the meantime, I moved forward with the base:

Barren desert. But the dragon's lair was supposed to be close to a spring

So some vegetation is required

I took my chances with the black edge on the base, I thought it would look better this way, instead of using the whole base as part of the vignette, with land and grass.

This is the final result:







St. George seems to be quite popular all over Europe, being the patron of many countries and regions, revered from East to West, from Russia to England, spanning Ukraine, Hungary, much of the Mediterranean.. and outside that, even Ethiopia! As I googled him to write this post, I discover that Muslims also consider George as a prophetic figure in Islamic sources. I'm happy to display someone who brings together so many different people. We have too few of those.

25 comments:

  1. Wooooa!
    Amazing looking diorama!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The purchase was quite an impulse, I'm happy that I got it!

      Delete
  2. You did a spectacular job, Suber! The choice of green-red color combination works very well, and stands out against the base. We too had never seen a Saint George in Norman clothes - and perhaps such a representation in medieval art does not exist (?).
    We note that you chose not to stick the knight's spear into the hole in the dragon's throat, as the digital model predicted: is this a choice to give more emphasis to the blood in your diorama?
    It would be nice to see today a Saint George who goes around the world to defeat dragons and solve all the mess that happens... the problem is that the fault does not lie with some anthropophagous beast, but with men themselves... :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We just looked at the photos again and realized that the spear penetrates the dragon's neck, but comes out the other side... Can't Saint George recommend an effective patron saint of sight? ;)

      Delete
    2. Thank you! Right, I've edited the post with a short video I took during the process. I didn't use it originally because it wasn't that good, but at least now you can see how the spear can go throughout the dragon's neck :D

      Delete
  3. Fantastic looking vignette Suber, your colour choices work well against each other, and using the frame to start the base was inspiring. Interesting research as well to go with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I've been through some images and I saw so many different representations that at some point I got confident that I didn't need to reproduce anything, but just enjoy the paintjob and get a chromatically coherent composition. It happens that it was just the only thing I needed!

      Delete
  4. An absolutely astounding piece! Love the coloring on all three models; and the base really makes it pop. A wonderful display!

    Note: My grandmother's Church is St. George's!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The good thing about the base is that it adds depth but (hopefully) doesn't draw too much attention from the main pieces, I'll have to explore that style in the future :)
      Oh, and what a happy coincidence!

      Delete
  5. Una escena muy maja y apropiada para estas fechas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ¡Gracias! Por eso me empeñé en tenerla lista justo para la fecha, la acabé apenas unas horas antes :P

      Delete
  6. Wonderful work Suber!
    St George is even in Australia. A football team and a bank! Although fittingly, the bank only talks about the dragon 😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, how appropiate! XD I've just googled it, this made my day :D

      Delete
  7. Wow, what a find! And great work as always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was quite a surprise indeed, I didn't plan to paint anything of the like, so it all was a matter of mere impulse, but now I'm happy I followed it!

      Delete
  8. Great model and fantastic work on both the painting and the base! I like how you used the same paint scheme that you used for the wyvern recently, now I want to see a battle between St. George and the Orcs, haha :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The paint scheme was kind of a no-brainer, having the other wyvern so recent. I could have risked other colours, but I think this looks classic and feels right for the project :)

      Delete
  9. That's really cool! The sculpting is really nice, especially on the horse. I really like the way you've done the base, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The models are really sweet. It's my first experience with 3D printed stuff; I mean, first time I purchase a render, I didn't see the actual model until I got it at home. And I have to say I'm delighted, I believe I'll get more stuff like this in the future!

      Delete
  10. Lovely figures, great painting and excellent basing, I think the black edge works really well!
    Best Iain caveadsum1471

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! It was a declicate choice, but in the end I think it works :)

      Delete
  11. A great mini, I will have to check out their website. As usual a very well executed paint job and display.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! They have interesting stuff, I'll likely end up buying more minis :)

      Delete
  12. Well done, Suber - very impressive indeed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I know this is out of my regular stuff, but I couldn't avoid getting the mini! :D

      Delete