20/08/2024

Crisis Protocol (Pt. 2, the baddies)

A few days ago I showed the first half of my Marvel Crisis Protocol core box. Time to bring the rest of the batch! I guess there's little to say about these, as there's no new issue in terms of painting. At least regarding the characters themselves. Let's have a look at them.

First one, evil Red Skull:

There are three different kinds of black here. Of course it's impossible to tell by this pic

I've seen some peoplethat have been able even to replace the Tesseract by a clear resin piece and put a LED inside. Way out of my league, I'm afraid; my puny attempt of OSL will have to do.

If there's an even more iconic villain, it's of course Dr. Octopus:

I don't know how he managed to put his coat on

Incredibly well designed mini. I have to say that all the models in the game are up to top notch standards. We are used to say that GW is lightyears off from any other manufacturer in terms of miniature quality. It may be true on the broader market, but the least that can be said about these minis is that they are at the same level.

Next one, Baron Helmut Zemo:

Quite different from the movies!

This one was maybe one of the easiest to paint, as all the white is just Contrast paint and it has just one kind of black (highlighted in blue). I have to confess that I painted the baddies almost in a row, as there's a lot of black involved, so it was quite time saving. See what I mean, here you have Crossbones:

Again, three different types of black

I tend to highlight leather with blue and different clothes with green or flesh. That provides different tones (warmer or colder).

The same trick with black was used when it came to metallics. There is a lot of metal involved. See, first of all, Ultron:

I'm not entirely sure about the physics of the levitation and the glowing cape

And then quite some Drones:

Cybermen! Ooops, sorry, wrong franchise

Once again, the design of this group is amazing. All the pieces fit in perfectly and the whole thing is fantastic.

Let's see all the villains:

Comic-book cover composition!

But that's not all, for sure...

BONUS!

There's a lot of scenery in this game. I mean it. A lot of items. I guess they' designed to block LOS and so. First, there are some vehicles:

Yellow is a pain in the brush to achieve!
 

I tried to replicate the NYC taxi style. When it came to the plates I also tried to make them accurate; but when I learned that the State of New York has a kind of plate called "Excelsior"... Oh, I had to replicate it, you know! I even tried to write "Excelsior" or any acronym for "Marvel Zombie" or "make mine Marvel", but oh, my poor eyes allow me these tasks no more.

A quite different type of vehicle are these loaders:

Gritty and dirty

I painted no marks on them, because I like them so much that I also plan to use them for my Genestealer Cult mining stuff. I may still add some random small marks, hmm.

More scenery:

Generic traffic stuff

I took no reference to paint these, and I didn't notice until it was too late that the barriers were supposed to be those hollow plastic builds. Instead, I painted them as if they were made of concrete, as I thought they were actual obstacles. I'm more used to see that kind of stuff, and realising of my mistake now looks embarrassing. However, they'll stay this way!

Generic dumpsters with the Damage Control logo on them

Traffic stuff

Two street lamps look too little for my taste to decorate any board, but whenever I open the rulebook and set some games I'll share my thoughts about scenery on the whole.

The final piece:

This thing is large

They keep coming!

Well! That's pretty much it all! Here you have the total content of the box:

A close-up of the characters:


I guess I need a proper board now, or at least some kind of urban mat. For now I'll try the hardest part: to learn the rules and get the kids involved beyond the pew-pew!

I'll let you know how it goes!

10 comments:

  1. A great job on those Suber.
    The terrain is an awesome addition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The terrain is quite interesting, if a little... eclectic. I mean, teh shop, the loaders, the taxi... Nevertheless it's all great and I enjoyed the painting!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks! It's been a fun break from the usual!

      Delete
  3. Excellent work on all Suber, can appreciate the effort on the black, for the photograph to not pick it up properly ! LOL Great colour choices throughout, and the barricades still look like plastic, so wouldn't worry. Hope the gaming goes well, and the children enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thank you! I'm curious about the rules, I hope we get the chance of a game anytime soon!

      Delete
  4. Really cool to see more of this :) And again ... nice paintwork :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! They were quite enjoyable to paint, totally recommended!

      Delete
  5. Very nice painting. They're really good models and you clearly get a lot of stuff for your money!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The minis are truly state of the art, and I also agree, I got a nice bunch of stuff, I'm pretty happy with everything!

      Delete