22/05/2017

BBB: Big Beasts of Burden

After my previous take on World of Twilight minis, I decided I wnted to make some experiments on lizardy skin. I had two quite large minis, so they were the perfect canvas. I wanted a progressive colour shading effect, and I did so both in blue and red:

This was the in progress concept; lighter tones for the nose, getting darker towards the tail

The plain colours didn't work on such large surfaces, so I added a dot pattern, very frog-like.

I mean 'exotic Amazonian frog'-like

The baskets and luggage look easy to do, but they are way more detailed than I thought. That is what makes these interesting, the way you perceive them as part of a caravan, of a wider project.



They'll be part of the merchant's detachment (a merchant needs goods to trade!). Look at the gorgeous details all over:






Here you have, of course, the mandatory scale comparison shot:

No, we're not relatives, if that's what you're asking

My own lead mountain on this project has finally turned into a mere hill, a mound I would dare to say. But it's not over yet! More to come!

14 comments:

  1. Those look fantastic, what a great effect on both of them. I like painting the dinosaurs from magister militum in bright colours too - the effects you've achieved are really excellent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I wanted to get some 'distinctive' effect, and this came to mind. Glad you like it!

      Delete
  2. Oh yeeeees! Something fantastic!
    Lovly colours chief!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! This kind of stuff opens new possibilities, I'm tempted to get more!

      Delete
  3. These are gorgeous! Really eye-catching colours - just the thing for an itinerant merchant looking to entice the locals into buying something!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I still have to design the proper caravan, but it will have to be colourful ;)

      Delete
  4. Looking lovely! Very different to the full greys and browns I went for, but looks fantastic :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! You made quite an outstanding job with these, they've been a real pleasure to paint. In nature, big fellas like these tend to have more earthy colours, but I wanted to give this effect a try :)

      Delete
  5. Now, these are simply gorgeous.
    Both the skin and goods they carry.
    Very colourful but not overly so.
    Awesome work suber!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think that the black pattern on the skin helps to desaturate the overall effect. If they were all blue or red, it may have been 'too much'. I enjoyed these two particularly, bursting with details all over!

      Delete
  6. tio, fotos de todas juntas?
    estan quedando con una personalidad increible! :)
    enhorabuena! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ¡Muchas gracias!
      Me queda todavía un lote de varias miniaturas, pero es el último. Cuando lo tenga, haré una foto de familia :)

      Delete
  7. It's NOT easy making so many colours work together. But here, you definitely achieved success. Super work Suber! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! I'm trying weird combinations here, it's fun how things can turn out in such different styles :)

      Delete