A quite evident issue about building the sci-fi mining town is that you need it to look like an actual place to live. Not necessarily to live decently (this is a Rogue Trader-WH40K kind of project after all!), but at least to have something more than mere square boxes and line of sight blockers. A part of it, of course, is to add some doors to the boxes, so they upgrade to houses :P
|Remember, this pic says it all for me. This is what I am aiming for|
Back in the day I got some of the Trash Bash sci-fi doors by RoeBeast, but I used all of them. I tried to look if I could get a few more, but I wasn't able. Besides, I was thinking I would need quite a lot! So what could I do?
The solution came in the form of card and foamboard...
|The Ikea approach|
Right, the only reasonable way was to make my own doors!
I wasn't sure of how to get the right design. In the end I think they look too much Tatooine-like, but I think subconscious references cannot be underestimated!
|If this doesn't scream sci-fi in desert, I don't know what will do|
|I added rivets. You can never go wrong with an excess of rivets|
I can hear you. 'So, your solution is to make dozens of doors, one by one'. Though that sounds like me indeed, I currently lack both time and motivation to do so. What I would need here is the way to cast these. I've been interested in learning resin casting for ages, but it always looked overwhelming for my puny skills. But a few weeks ago I discovered this acrylic resin for dummies, by Green Stuff World. The 'dummies' is mine, but it's an accurate description, trust me. Make a mould, mix the powder with water and ta-da, it's done. Witchcraft!
So there we go! I press moulded the doors:
|Ooops! Unexpected setbacks|
The oyumaru mould was good, but the original doors were ruined when I put them out of it. So well, apparently I have a single shot to discover if I'm doing this right...
|This is all you need. Oh, and water, sure|
About half an hour later...
|It works! IT WORKS! Mwahahahahaha!!|
I'm happy with the result; the frame finally got the adobe like texture, the control pad looks reasonably good and the door itself will work. Of course this is but my first experiment, but I hope I'll get better with practice.
|In fact I've done this third, simple door|
|And I'm about to experiment with control pads and an electric box|
Well, but for the moment, after a lot of half an hours... :P
|I hope I have enough doors for a few buildings!!|
Well, let's see how they fit in the town! I had to blend them in with some das putty and I had to fix some minor texture and filling issues:
|Now this looks more like a thriving neighbourhood|
I also remembered I had a few MDF doors by MadMechaGuy. I got them ages ago and totally forgot about them until the other day. I hope the mix works in the end.
|Doors! Doors everywhere!|
Ehm. Yes, right. There's a door leading to nowhere up there. Not that I just needed to fill that empty surface. Let me elaborate. I'm also making this:
|A comm array? A void shield control pad? Who knows!|
|Still in progress, I want to add some details|
So the thing is that I cut a tiny gap just under the frame of the door, allowing me to place the walkway this way:
|It's a precautionary measure about storage to avoid unnecesary damages|
It's not the only weird door I have...
|Yeah, I should really call for a professional architect|
|I guess I'll have to properly texture and paint the wall before I add all the stuff I'm planning, but you get an idea|
This is all I have right now. I'm quite happy with the discovery of the resin, it's super easy to handle and opens a whole world of possibilities. Of course the doors are not perfect, but they work fine at tabletop distance, so I cannot ask for more.
More stuff coming soon!