25/09/2014

Painting 'Battles of Westeros' boardgame: Starks are coming

You may (or may not) remember that some time ago I painted the War of the Ring boardgame, both Free Peoples and Forces of the Darkness (where the infamous episode of the Paratroll incident took place). It all concluded with this game, after which any sane person would have said, in the better Poe tradition, 'never more...'

Fortunately, no sane people is in sight, so... Ooops, I did it again! But this time I dared to enter into A Song of Ice and Fire. I got a copy of 'Battles of Westeros' and of course I am not allowed to play with unpainted pieces of plastic :D

There are much less miniatures, about a hundred an thirty something, if I recall it right. The plastic is more or less the same type; hmm, not as good material as the War of the Ring one, to be fair. But the minis have a reasonable detailing. There is not as much variety as in the Lord of the Rings game, as you only have two factions in the core game, Starks and Lannisters, so the ranges are more limited; but that doesn't mean there are just a couple of different models. Not at all.

Let me bring you the first of the armies, the House Stark of Winterfell:
 
War Host of the North

Northmen Archers

Winterfell Riders

Kennelmasters
 
Now that I think of it, it's a little bit disencouraging to find that aaall those long hours spent painting these 50 shades of grey can be summarised in just four pics :S

Never mind, now you can see another reason why this summer I have been slowing down my painting rate, I didn't want to show a ton of grey minis being painted... well, a different grey.

Next week I'll be bringing you those other guys in red! :D

2 comments:

  1. This is sooooo cool ... finally someone else doing GoT. I love 'em. :)
    Not a fan of the Starks though ... something about them except for Jon Snow rubs me the wrong way. Go House Targaryen and House Tyrion (I know I know ... that's not a real noble house) ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, thank you! Glad you like'em! Early next week I'll show the Lannisters. However, there is such an insane number of such insanely small minis that I can't see myself buying the expansions anytime soon! But don't worry, I hope I make this worth of the effort...

      Delete