04/09/2018

Better late than never

Real life doesn't care of your schedules, and that's also true when it comes to miniatures. Well, in this case you could rightly blame my lack of planification, but hey, I had managed to open the post with a nice sentence, don't ruin it!

I got this Gothic church from Pegasus Hobbies ages ago. I really wanted to have it finished for my latest scenario, but in the end I wasn't able to do so. Sigh. Anyway, I put some effort on it these last days and I can show you the thing.


This is the basic shape of it
The kit has no roof, I added that with cardboard. I originally primed it in beige/brown, as I wanted to do something different, in other tones. But in the end I went back to grey, as otherwise it wouldn't have fitted in my board.

Look at the size of this monster
OK, so grey then.


This is how it's going to look like

It needed a base. I didn't want too much trouble; I found this rigid piece of card and did this for the floor:

Marble everywhere
At some point I thought I could make some paintings on the wall, as I did some time ago on the WHFB Chapel. But honestly, I wanted to move forward. I found a much better solution, i.e., I looked for some real art.

Google, print, cut...
...and glue
Quick & easy!
More or less this will be the general display
Now I had to WH40K-ize it. I built some stuff for the outside, like this relic shrine:

Forgot to take pics of the WIP
It's just a structure made of cardboard and greenstuff for the decorations. The relic itself comes from the Grey Knights box.

I also made these useful props for inquisitorial purposes. The one on the left will be an automatic heretic burner. You know, nothing of all those old firewood stacks and uncomfortable hassle. You just tie the heretic to the rod and the promethium-fed cleansing fire comes from below. Much more civilised.


The structure on the right is for the gibbets you can see in the back
I also made some stuff for the roof. This is quite a common view in Europe, as no church (or, for the case, any rural high structure) is complete without...

...a stork's nest, of course

The head is from a Bretonnian banner pole, the rest is just greenstuff and bits.

I also made some objects for the inside of the chapel. It's pretty tight, so I could not make these fit in:

Thomarillion. I guess I had an optimistic day when I ordered all this
Less is more. I made it a humble chapel, not a whole cathedral. I built this place for candles:

Can't be cheaper and lazier
And this table with a saint and a holy book.

Like three minutes of my time
I added some holy scrolls...


Another... ten? minutes
The scrolls are mere paper, because I did some other signs:

I really hope Pange Lingua is copyright free

The upper right sign is some kind of Inquisitorial warrant on an... eh... Abdul Goldberg?

Finally, a banner for the inside

You can see I couldn't place the banner just top of the structure, as it covered the rose window.

My greatest regret is not being able to make some proper stained glass. For now I'll let it be until I discover a way.
I lowered it and...

This will have to work
It's evocative enough for me

Let's go ack to the outside. We finally get to uncover one of the most precious secrets in all the Warhammer 40,000 lore. Is it the truth behind the two Lost Legions? No! Way more important! We finally get to know...

...where do those freakin' scary 40K cherubs come from!
So one side...

Should have added offerings and stuff to that shrine, hmmm...
And another:

And I should add more dirt and burning marks here, hmmm...
Well, for the moment this is it:

The pilgrims finally arrive to their destination
Everybody expects the Imperial Inquisition!
They stole the offerings from the shrine!!

Now that I have finished it I find myself before a conundrum, as I had 'closed' the urban setting and my mind is set on the Genestealer Cult mining facility now. I'm parking the chapel for a momet until I find a new use for it. But you may have noticed that I have an organ and church benches without apparent use. I wonder if an underground church of the Emperor of Several Arms is feasible... Hmmm...

28 comments:

  1. Brilliant job. Love the small touches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The kit itself is pretty generic, you can use it for quite a number of ambientations, but I thought it needed a 'personal' touch to make it distinctive.

      Delete
  2. What persistence!
    When I get to the last part of a project (like the last building in a terrain set) the temptation to skimp and just slap a coat of paint on it is overwhelming. Great job making sure that the church had all the details required.

    Really great, tells a story all by itself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhh, I know what you mean, I've been there too! I'm constantly there in fact! :D It requires some will, doesn't it?

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. ¡Gracias! No queria dejarla como una iglesia genรฉrica,esto le da un poco de vida de cara a ponerlo sobre una mesa :)

      Delete
  4. Hey that is really great. The kit itself works fine as a location, and as cover, but all the added little details really make it a place where things really happen, and not just a rectangle box of cover +2.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right, that's exactly my train of thought, I don't want it to be a generic whatever, I want it to instil 'something'. I could have added a lot of details, but it will have to work for now...

      Delete
  5. Wow that looks excellent. Such nice touches you have added. Love the windows

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The kit itself is nice, but a little... bland? I don't think that's really the word, but you know, it needs something else to become the scenery you want to see on a board. Glad you like it!

      Delete
    2. Yeah I know what you mean a bit to uniform looking by itself.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thank you very much! But not at all, it's just a matter of keeping adding stuff and stuff! :D

      Delete
  7. All the detailing is superb! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I keep thinking I could add more details, but one has to know where to stop!

      Delete
  8. Cibercigรผeรฑas. Me quito el sombrero.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ¡Jaja! ¡Ninguna iglesia es una iglesia sin una cigรผeรฑa!

      Delete
  9. The detailing on this, the little props mainly, is fantastic Suber.

    I used translucent paper with an abstract design to give the impression of stained glass a while back. The experiment needs some more refinement than what I ended up with, but it is a solution that I think could work pretty well.

    https://sho3box.com/2018/05/14/st-craniums-reformation-pt2-church/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you! Hmmm, that might work... I must give it a try, thanks!!

      Delete
  10. Thanks! Nothing says WH40K (2nd ed, of course!) as a Gothic chapel :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. menuda absoluta maravilla!!
    Alucinante!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ¡Muchas gracias! No tiene mucho misterio tampoco, es todo cuestiรณn de seguir aรฑadiendo cosas y mรกs cosas :D

      Delete
  12. I definitely need to do that as well, plenty of cool ideas again !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! All the ideas here are pretty simple, as I'm just too lazy to make anything more complicated, but I think they all work more or less :)

      Delete
  13. Lovely detailing on this kit, great job!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I've learned that the really important things, those that make the difference, are details. No matter how stupid or tiny they are, they always give the impression of having something 'bigger' than it really is. So the only true key is how you get to add the greater amount of details with the least effort possible! :D

      Delete
  14. The entire piece looks astonishingly good. Wonderful details. And a simple thing like the tonal/hue variations of the roof tiles is, to me, a most wonderful thing to behold. For me, it's always the little things that mark a talented painter, which you are of course, Suber.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm really far from your standards, but I'm trying to learn! :)

      Delete