27/09/2018

Interlude: Space Crusade Dreadnoughts

Just because. That's it, there's no other reasoning behind this side project. Looking for some other stuff I stumbled on the old Dreadnoughts from the Space Crusade expansion.

It's been a while, eh?
I'll save you the horror of  the original paintjob I did back in the day. Let's just settle that they were previously painted and they could benefit of a re-paint. I had nothing particular in mind, I simply found them in a box, had a nostalgia attack and decided to do a quick paintjob on them. I considered the idea of following the art of the box and painting them in that military green style, but after a while, I thought I would like to see them in white, as the Androids were meant to be.


Yes, remember, these existed!
I knew I wouldn't try any Mike McVey approach. Nothing so flamboyant, I was in the minimalist mood. So I began the 'thousand of different shades of white' quest. Brrr.

Layers, and layers, and then more layers until paint covers it all properly

I lack the virtue of patience, but in the end they are white enough for me
The basic shape of both is interesting and intriguing. I'm curious about why GW never used these designs ever again. Not in Chaos Dreadnoughts nor in any Necron army when they released them. I think the closest GW thing I've seen to them are the new Armigers:

They somehow resemble the concept, but still far away from it
At some point I almost succumbed to the temptation of making some conversions. Just by coincidence I saw this Space Marine Assault Cannon, and dammit, these new weapons look nice. Compare the original and the new one:

This assault cannon is definitely sexy

But if I walked that way I would be likely forced to replace each and every weapon. I really didn't want that, this was just a tribute to the old minis and I was to simply paint them. In the end I think it was for the best.
I hesitated about adding marks. Chaos sigils? Adeptus Mechanicus codes? For now I think plain white works for me. It sticks to the Space Crusade original theme so it's good enough for me.

Plain white. If Apple ever made Dreadnoughts...

Designation code: Grumpy

Please put down your weapon. You have twenty seconds to comply
Not much else to say; it's been a side project made just for fun, I don't have any real project in which these fit (for now). However, I of course also have the other Dreadnought form the Space Crusade core game. I should find it and close the trio. Hmmm, where did I put it...

24 comments:

  1. Cool. I like these and the androids, and I wish they hadn't disappeared from the look of 40k (I suppose the androids are necrons, but they're not quite the same). I like the job you've done on them, especially the glowing blue cables. I really ought to see if I've got any gathering dust somewhere!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are nice designs, given how old they are. I guess that if I ever tried a Necron Army I would incorporate this kind of desing wherever :)

      Delete
  2. True classics indeed. I agree with you that it is a shame GW didn't retain tjis design in some fasion, especially for the Necrons as a big beefy dread would have been a cool addition to their army.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right, I think that a big monster in this fashion could work perfectly in a Necron army just updating a few things. Oh, man, the idea begins to be tempting...

      Delete
  3. I mused over some similar issues in a blog post five or six years back - where did the odd Chaos Dreadnoughts in Space Crusade come from and why were they never seen in other GW properties?

    The one other place where I did discover that they were featured was in the Epic scale 40K range (oddly called "Space Marine" I believe).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right, the Space Marine game, in the old times before Epic. Oh, I don't recall ever seeing this model in 6mm! I'll try search on the internet!

      Delete
    2. I can only ever recall seeing them in a WD article that one time.

      Delete
  4. MAn bone paint scheme looks really striking. Maybe you could use them in the new Rogue Trader rules as part o boarding actions?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, that's certainly a good idea I can use! Rogue Traders don't get too picky about the kind of tech they find during their travels, do they? :D

      Delete
  5. Another great conversion Suber :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it's nothing that a lazy repaint, it's a refreshing side project while I get back to the usual stuff :)

      Delete
  6. Thank you! Blast form the past!

    ReplyDelete
  7. They look awesome! I love these old models and you've mate them look great. I need to dig mine out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! As soon as I saw them I suddenly felt the urge of spilling some paint on both. It's been kind of
      therapeutical!

      Delete
  8. Nice paint job on these elderly models,I thought they resembled the police robot in RoboCop which would have been around the same time, my old terminators are all the first experiments before they settled on the basic design they still use ,min m are very 2000ad.
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  9. Right, I think the cultural references were flowing back and forth all over those days :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nice, and thanks for bringing back those memories. That bone color suits them well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! You cannot stop nostalgia once it has come, can you? :D

      Delete
  11. Nice work. I must admit I to like the style of these Dreads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! They are nice, they have that 'something', don't they?

      Delete
  12. I do like the old SC dreads. The white looks good.

    I painted one to go with some Necrons a while back, with a bit of of ED209 thrown in. They are old and pretty simplistic models, but I do like the digitigrade, classic robot look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, they may look simple, but they have "the touch". I wonder if something could be arranged with the current Kill Team stuff...

      Delete