11/12/2018

I also play games!

Who would have told? I not only paint, but I finally also got to play some games! Hooray! At last! [Insert generic mumbling about current life, etc., blah blah]

In recent weeks I've been able to host a game of Shadespire. I really wanted to test the boards for real. I guess there's no point in making a full review of such a well known game these days, so I'm just leaving you with a few pics.

Oh, I did want to see the boards assembled
To battle!!
I played my undead Sigmarites, while my pal used his Skaven. I played aggressively, but I was heavily outnumbered. Wow, those rats are hard to beat!

I totally lost, but well, the pics were worth of it
I learned some important stuff, not game related. My pal thought that my scenery was misleading, given the number of ruined buildings. Though I clearly stated that 'only these three tiles all over the board are blocked and the rest are clear' I can understand that it's not as visually intuitive as I should have built it. Well, lesson identified, lesson learned.

I don't care, the pics are enough for me

But that's not all! Last week I learned to play Twilight Struggle:

There are no minis! What's this?
I would have loved to write a full review of the game, as it totally deserves it, but I played the Americans and was totally wiped out at the beginning of the Mid War by my more experienced Soviet rival. The game ended sooner than desired, but I promise we will play again and I plan to take pics and make a proper review.

Ouch, I lost all my influence in South Korea, not sure that the actual events turned out this way...
The game drives you through the Cold War and it's incredibly amazing. I mean, anything I could say is just such an understatement. Go discover the game by yourself.

We were too close to DEFCON 1 too many times, glups
I didn't pay attention to this area and was defeated when the Soviets staged a coup d'etat in Mexico! Seriously?

I mean it, it's one of the most elaborated boardgames I've seen in ages, if not the most one. Everything is weighted carefully and the dynamics are incredibly developed. I guess that two experienced gamers can enjoy a single game for endless hours.

Anyway, this was just but a brief reminder that I still play games (a reminder mostly for me! Ahem). I hope this turns into a more regular routine!

20 comments:

  1. Good stuff :) I have some friends who play Twilight Struggle and enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, I was totally immersed into the game, it's truly fantastic!

      Delete
  2. Great to see your Shadespire set in action - it's a great game. Twilight Struggle is awesome too. I've played twice, and I think my brain was ready to explode both times - there's just so much going on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right, there are so many things happening at all moments! I enjoyed it thoroughfully, I'm looking forward to playing again.

      Delete
  3. That board looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I really wanted to see it in action. The boards fit in and it all works fine. Many things could have been done better, but I'm happy with them :)

      Delete
  4. That game looked fantastic. I wouldn't change anything about the scenery. I think your opponent just needs to listen better to your explanations and ask questions when he cannot remember.

    Your post about building this set was really good, and to see it "in game" really is superb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I really enjoyed building the boards, but maybe they could be more visually intuitive. Anyway, having only three specific tiles blocked, it didn't really become an issue. I'm still learning for future boards (did I say future boards? Oh, my, I'm doomed...)

      Delete
  5. By the Dark Gods! That board is wonderful.
    Please forgive me for only just discovering your blog....but expect to see random comments popping up while I look through your posts ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thank you! I've just discovered yours too and I'm mesmerized by your scenery and boards! They are awesome!
      Please make yourself comfortable, welcome aboard! :)

      Delete
  6. Glad to hear. Your AoS board looks good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm satisfied with the fact that it finally saw some action and it works!

      Delete
  7. I didn't complain about your scenery, man! In fact, I very much prefer to play in your amazing boards than in the stock ones, of course! It was just a small tip. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I didn't want to imply that you complained, sorry. Au contraire, I see your point and I'm now aware that such kind of board needs to be visually intuitive. Point taken!

      Delete
  8. I don't understand the lack of intuitive. It's a heavenly beautiful table.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! I enjoyed it enormously, but maybe there are too many ruined buildings? Ahh, my megalomaniac vein asks for a full 4x4' ruined board! :D

      Delete
  9. Your table rises the game up above the usual boardgame level, it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Despite the inconveniences, I think that it's visually rewarding when compared to the card boards, so I'm happy with it.

      Delete