Wednesday, 5 December 2018

Orlock Ogryn

You may remember that a few weeks ago I did some conversion work on the Bretonnian Reliquary, as a commission for a friend. His intention is to use it as part of his Cawdor gang for Necromunda. He liked the work, and he also asked me if I could arrange something regearding a few specific ideas he had in mind for his Orlock gang. He particularly wanted to use this mini:

Blood Bowl Ogre
He had seen a conversion on the internet and wanted to kind of reproduce it, replacing the right arm with the genestaler cult chainsaw.

Not that different, I'd say!
He wanted me to take the big skull out of the front, so you canb see I came up with a silly idea. Yes, that is a chubby model wheel. But my idea was to make it appear as some kind of generator, some Iron Man like.

Now we're coming to something...
I thought it could be funny if I gave him a bionic leg, so...

Good old staples and greenstuff trick
Some touches here and there later, this is the result:

Extra wiring from the shoulder to carry the chainsaw
Yes, he's running with that
If you repaint the bullets as a plasma generator, it will look better
I also sculpted an Orlock seal over the shoulderpad
People you can find around the Underhive
So this is my part; my mate will paint it, as well as the Reliquary. Well, those will be a couple of gangs with personality, I can't wait to see both minis with some colour on them!

20 comments:

  1. Love the conversion work...those wire tubes are ace!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Anything turns 40K if you add enough wiring!

      Delete
  2. Excellente Suber!!! Your GS skills are really impressive mate :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very mucho! :D
      The conversion here looks extensive, but in fact it's nothing else than wires and details here and there. The original mini is pretty dynamic itself and it helped a lot through the process.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks! I hope it looks different from the original :)

      Delete
  4. Man I like it !
    The bionic leg makes me think about those supermutants in Fallout which is an extra layer of cool !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Since I came out with the staples idea I shamelessly use it everywhere I can :D

      Delete
  5. Genius! Very nice conversion work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's easier than it looks, the only issue here is that you need patience. You have to wait for the greenstuff to cure before you go another step ahead, and man, when you add small details it can take forever!

      Delete
  6. Te ha quedado muy bien, yo también tengo pensado hacer unas conversiones parecidas con unos ogretes, pero cuando me quite algo la la montaña gris :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ¡Gracias! Si van en la línea de tu Squat del otro día, te van a salir tremendas :)

      Delete
  7. Amazing work! If I may ask a question about your greenstuff tubes, how do you get them been like that? I've tried letting them dry Fores but the just crack/split, and I've tried while they were still soft, but I mess up the detail from the roller tool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I use the roller tool when the GS is still fresh. For me a 50/50 mix works fine, but in the pic above (the back one) you can clearly see I messed it up with the mix and I got some of them with too much yellow stuff. Nevermind, it still works.
      First of all, you have to make sure that the roll is really cylindrical, i.e., not irregular (the flat surface of the tool helps a lot to achieve that). Then, when using the tool, keeping constant pressure is the key for me. Quick strokes forth and back with constant pressure (ehhm... I guess that sounded really bad!). But don't push too hard, or else you will smash the roll and ruin the whole work (including the tool! It's a pain in the ass to get it out from the tool later)
      I hope this helps, but if don't, please don't hesitate to give me a heads up and I'll try to take pics or videos of the process :)

      Delete
    2. Yeah, making the tubes is no problem, but getting those kinds of bends in them is where I have difficulty. If they're not cured, I won the detail bending them in place and if I wait until they are cured, they crack when bent.

      Delete
    3. Oh, sorry, I got it wrong. I usually use a tool (but a mere toothpick will do, I sometimes also use that). I poke one of the ends of the tube (which gets ruined, of course)and then put the whole thing in place, but using the tool/toothpick exclusively, so I don't touch the tube at any moment.
      I'm currently working on another creature, I'll try to take pics of the whole process!

      Delete
  8. Lovely conversion work, all that wiring is ace!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! All that stuff adds a sensation of heaviness, a big jumble, you know. It's fun to see how almost any mini can be repurposed with those :D

      Delete
  9. That is simply astounding work. Excellent. Wow.

    ReplyDelete