27/03/2022

Bombots

 Today the title is as accurate as obscure, I guess.

A pic might be of use?

Not really? Well, maybe I'll have to tell you the whole story then. Once upon a time...

Last summer mighty Curis from Ninjabread managed to produce these beauties:

Follow this link to the post

These are Bombots, as described on the Rogue Trader Manual:


Cute and cool, aren't they? The thing is that Curis said that he had to cast a few sets, so he most likely had a few spare copies. Some other fellow Bloggers had already shown more initiative than me, and in fact got some of them. I can recall Axiom from Magpie and Old Lead and Jason Fulford from Rogue Heresy, but if I'm missing anyone just let me know!

Well, long story short, Curis is quite a nice, generous bloke, some emails were written, a parcel was sent, fucking Brexit delayed it and involved some harmful extra payments and finally it all takes us to the first pic on this post. So let's move on!

My own!
 
Even if they can be used by quite a number of different factions in a RT setting (Mechanicus, a Rogue Trader, mercenaries and bounty hunters, Space Marines...) they had quite a military grade vibe to me. I decided to paint them mainly grey, so they have an Imperial Guard looking, yet would be still neutral enough to be used by anybody else (even Orks? Hmm, that would be something to see)

Recklessly painted in grey

Still grey!

"Ex-ter-minate". Ehm, no, sorry, those were those other guys

 Grey and black, so a true classic Imperial Guard pattern. I thought they needed a touch of colour, and of course they needed checkers...

It's not Rogue Trader without checkers!

The bar codes on the back are decals from some Imperial Guard box

This is how they look next to stardard 28mm minis:

The commander is supervising the Bombots with the assistance of the Enginseer

Now I have to confess a thing. Curis was kind enough to offer me more than a set, so he could get rid of all his remnant bits (Oh  please, where do I have to sign).

So I've painted a second set, for a pal who was also interested in these

Bad news is that I'm afraid I took the last copies :(

They've been extremely nice to paint. I love when someone takes the time and effort to get those old RT illustrations and turn them into real minis. I bet there's a market niche for that!

46 comments:

  1. Excellent! They look like baby Daleks on tracks LOL! Great job on them, the painting is superb and the checkered rim gives them a nice Oldhammer look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, they are kind of tiny 40K Daleks, aren't they? Should have made them rusty to be proper 40K :D

      Delete
  2. So cute 😄!
    They're excellent though and your checkers are very sharp while getting that old school look in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! No checkers, no oldschool!

      Delete
  3. Wooooow! So awesome little small friends!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! They look suspiciously friendly, they just want you to get close and then... Boom!

      Delete
  4. Awesome! That checked trim is really lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup... So tidy like I can never do 😄

      Delete
    2. Haha, thanks! I think it was the touch of color they needed. I considered doing it B/W, but it was really calling for yellow. Glad it works!

      Delete
  5. Great work Suber, the casts look brilliant, and a very good representation of the art, your painting has certainly given them life, and they look ready to trundle and blow things up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The minis are sweet. Beautifully designed and perfectly casted. We all need Curis to sculpt more stuff!

      Delete
  6. Very nice. I like the models a lot, and the paint scheme suits them. The lenses are really good and the little yellow checks work really well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The grey and black pattern make them look dull and menacing, wich was a deliberate choice to emphasise the military looking, but I really couldn't resist to some good old fashioned checkers!

      Delete
    2. Checks are pure Oldhammer! I remember when every warrior in Necromunda had hazard stripes on his guns to remind him that they were dangerous! I like how they look both "realistic" and old-school.

      Delete
    3. You are so right! Oh, I need more hazard stripes and checkers on every mini now...

      Delete
  7. Muy majos, y como dicen más arriba, sólo les falta que digan EXTERMINAR, EXTERMINAR xD

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are great! The lenses and yellow checkering make them surprisingly colorful for what are essentially gray trash cans 😄. Also of course, these are fantastic figures. And vaguely reminiscent of... Daleks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The concept art is really old school, so the paintjob had to look for that vibe. Some colour was needed, or else they would have been dark, weird silhouettes!

      Delete
  9. They're very cool miniatures, and your paint job does them justice. Love the checks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I find the sculpts really appealing, and I enjoyed them a lot!

      Delete
  10. Love these models! You did a great job on them and the checkers are a welcome sight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's fun, but the checkers was the only thing I felt I could add to give them the aspect I was looking for. I'm glad they contribute to the old school touch :)

      Delete
  11. They look fantastic. Love those checks! I can easily see them fitting with any sort of unit.

    I'm still holding out that Curis releases them somewhere...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was hazard stripes or checkers, and I really thought these would work better.
      Come on, paint yours!! :D

      Delete
    2. I missed out on this release... hopefully I'll get another chance!

      Delete
  12. Bombots with Rad grenades - the best! These look awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I do need to set a game for these! Thanks!

      Delete
  13. Little crackling brothers of R2-D2! The way you painted them makes them very original, but what is the barcode on each of the bombots for? To speed up the purchase when the commander goes shopping with the engineer?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! Now I need an operator with a barcode scanner!

      Delete
  14. Those checkers! O_o wow mate, just lovely lovely painting on some great sculpts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The bombots are terribly fun, really want to get a game for them!

      Delete
  15. Damn, your bombots and Astropolis models are great and teasing me to paint my own ! I love the grey tones with checkers, strongly RTey and they convey that sense of weight and threat if you see what I mean. Love it !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Oh, but you should paint them! The bombots have a je ne sais quoi that makes them look menacing and friendly at a time, I think they just ask for this dark, dull style, but with some out-of-place touch of colour :D

      Delete
  16. Lovely work, what a score!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm happy with these, I'm in need of a game to deploy them!

      Delete
  17. Four words came to mind when I looked at this post ... "Awww so cute ... boom!"
    A simple enough paint job yet it looks great. Well done Suber! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, beware these cuties! Thank you very much! In this case, less is more, I believe :)

      Delete
  18. Splendid looking RT mini robots, yellow is a lovely touch.
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I don't use yellow checkers that often, but I've enjoyed these, so I think I'll try again in the future

      Delete
  19. These are absolutely stunning and the addition of the Astropolis miniatures is just the right touch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The Astropolis stuff looks incredibly good beside these minis. It's fabulous to see that such different things fit in together, I'm delighted :)

      Delete
  20. Son una preciosidad, muy sencillos en las líneas y su concepción, pero el casteado es maravilloso. Me he enamorado.

    El trabajo de pintura, sigue la premisa de menos es más. Un pintado genérico, permite que lo uses para cualquier locura que puedas idear en el futuro. Por su parte, el toque del ajedrezado, rompe esos tonos grises dándole una nota de color.

    Es más, creo que fácilmente pueden usarse como astromecanicos de cierta nave que aún tienes que montar.

    Una gozada verlos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ¡Gracias! Sí, es lo bueno de estos diseños, que no son tan superespecíficos como la deriva que ha ido cogiendo después el WH40K, así que valen para muchas cosas. Yo la verdad es que estoy contento :)

      Delete
  21. Seeing photos of your painted versions made my day! Nice work on the checks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! But I can take little credit, it's all on your sculpt! They are fantastic, I can't wait to set them on a game!
      Thanks for everything!

      Delete