08/04/2022

Interlude: unexpected Secret Santa

 We keep a tradition in my group of usual suspects; we try to arrange a Secret Santa event every year. We more or less succeed at it, though participation goes up and down depending on the year.  We also keep a deadline for sending the anonymous mini to the lucky receiver. We totally and constantly fail at that. But as it happens every single time, we bother about it no more :D

You can have a look at previous iterations here: This was what happened back in 2016, 2017 and 2020 (which was supposed to be the 2019 event). Well, today I'm bringing the 2021 Secret Santa. Yeah, yeah, it's April 2022, who cares :P

This time I picked this set I painted like in the Second Age or so:

It needed a repaint anyway, so this was my chance

More or less our only rule is that we don't get to buy new models specifically for this. Well, it's OK if you want to, sure, but the point is just a little giveaway of something you already have and you think the pal you got assigned will like.

So here we go

I think I worked both skin and armour in a totally different way than the first time

Same here, though I had little freedom of colours and so

As angry as he was almost twenty years ago when I painted him for the first time

I used this old, worn coaster for the base

Some DAS clay...

Battle on the snow!

Battle on the desert!

It all turned into this:



So well, it was essentially the same thing, yet different! I at least can say I think I can see an evolution in my skills :P

 

What did I get this time? This fabulous beakie, in the Space Sharks colours:

I. F#%&ing. Love. This. Mini.

You know, I have my Space Sharks project in a hiatus, but I'm getting so excited by this mini I just want to take them back to my bench.

What did the other blokes get? You can see:

This reminds me I also have to get my BFG ships back to the bench!

Funniest mini of the whole bunch

Greenskin powah!

I really thought that "COVID protection" was a totally different thing

Alternative Eldar Avatar

Who doesn't love this mini? The vignette is awesome

I find this one particularly appealing. Love it!

This was the 2021 (2022?) Secret Santa. I guess we should start moving our fat lazy asses if we want to get the 202...3? edition in time!


27 comments:

  1. Excellent repaint Suber, the whole piece elevated from your original version, which was a good piece to begin with.
    Some really great gifts sent between the group, and great idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It was a nice experiment, just to see what could I get again on the vignette. This Secret Santa thing is always a fun experience!

      Delete
  2. Agree, excellent looking stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's fun to see what do people come up with! We always enjoy a lot :D

      Delete
  3. Great looking vignette and some lovely looking other figures!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The pal who received it is a huge LotR fan, so I kind of had it clear when it came to choosing something for him :)

      Delete
  4. Fantastic painting Suber. Looking at the other gifts, there's pretty high standards across the board.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think the piece must have been released by, I don't know, maybe late 2003 or early 2004? It's been a long way since I first painted it, so I really hoped I had improved a little!
      About the other gifts, there are some awesome works among my pals, damn talented bastards! :D

      Delete
  5. Wow! A very cool diorama! Nicely done mate.

    And Space Sharks you say???? I too have a Space Sharks project! And I too have left it lie dormant for far too long.

    I need to perhaps set WW2 and furry critters aside and get back to some blood-crazed armoured super mutants!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. O and I'm checking on your Space Sharks posts now. Just saying.

      Delete
    2. Thanks! Oh, I need to have an eye on your Space Sharks too! I just read about them on Matt's blog and I'm really feeling the urge to take that project back!

      Delete
  6. This is such a cool idea for a secret santa. Might steal it and see if my gaming group would be keen. I really like the updated troll. Just the grittiness of the flesh and armour is really striking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The secret santa thing is a rewarding experience (Well, I mean, apart from the obvious!), I totally encourage you to do so!

      Delete
  7. Yes, we agree on the excellent level of the group of painters you belong to.
    It seems to us that your Aragorn vs Troll diorama has been enriched with new shades that make it more fascinating. Were you inspired by the fight at the gates of Mordor in Jackson's "The Return of the King"?
    The miniatures you received as a gift are also really nice. We were struck by the wizard in gray and blue clothes next to the ruined statue: congratulate the author.
    And now we just have to wait until next December to see the miniatures that you and your companions are about to give you for Easter ...;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! But what are you saying? Next December? Push it a couple of years at least!! :D :D

      Delete
  8. That's a lot of very cool models. I like the use of the coaster, and the skin on the troll is excellent. Really nice work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The coaster was a thing that... just happened! I really didn't know what could I use as a base, and then it was simply there :P

      Delete
  9. Oh... thanks, my unexpected newcomer

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ostras, no sabía que habías aprovechado un cartoncillo de Mahou como base, jajaja. Eso es reciclar y lo demás tonterías. Por el tono de los arbustos, Tuli se ha llevado una mini estupenda para su colección.

    Me gusta el tono de piel del Troll, huyendo de los tonos normales y muy buen integrado con tanta placa de armadura.

    Y respecto al incumplimiento de fechas de entrega..., somos un desastre, todos los años fallamos. Pero lo importante es que perseveramos y año tras año, la colección de minis pintadas por los amigos, no deja de crecer.

    Enhorabuena por tu Carcharodon, tu amigo invisible tuvo un gusto exquisito.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jaja, sí, un posavasos viejo, me cuadraba jusrto por las medidas. Hay que organizar ya el siguiente evento, que luego no nos da tiempo :D

      Delete
  11. That update is ACE! You've certainly picked up some new tricks along the way. I'm sure the new owner is treasuring it! And that space shark... it's awesome!

    I love these types of projects! I may have to steal from it if I ever get my crew rolling...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! These things are highly enjoyable, you bond with fellas you haven't seen in quite a time (damn covid), it's a way to keep spirits up. Oh, and keeping the surprise factor is always funny :D

      Delete
  12. Suber ... that is excellent painting as well as an excellent concept/project idea. It's Lord of the Rings right? It sure looks like it to me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Right, it's the scene from The Return of the King movie, the encounter between Aragorn and a Troll at the Morannon. Maybe not my favourite moment of the movies, but I admit it has some visual strenght :)

      Delete
  13. Geniales minis, y de Nicodemus no pude hacerme con el , pero tengo una versión de un mago Gandalfiano muy similar que pinté para usarlo como proxy. Esos orcos viejunos son todo amor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Estas cosas siempre tienen su gracia, da pie a ver minis muy curiosas, es un evento que siempre mola hacer :)

      Delete