23/10/2022

Space zombies

 I wasn't really aware that I was making myself a way into Zomtober until right now, when I said, "hey, right, I'm officially painting zombies in October". So this isn't actually a planned post, it simply happened this way!

When I saw the Plague Zombies North Star had released for Stargrave, I immediately fell in love, I knew I needed them. What for? Who cares! I needed them.

Once I made that obvious point clear, I got another pal involved and we got a few blisters. Oh, a few duplicated blisters, I mean.


The minis themselves are gorgeous. Appealing design and fantastic casting. Once I got them in hand it was pretty evident that they are wearing some kind of uniform. Some of them wear what looks like a flight jumpsuit, others vests and helmets, a wrist intercomm device...

Shooting zombies. That's a first time for me

Should I paint them as Nurgle Guard? Or any kind of Imperial Guard unit fallen to a plague? Hmmm. Then the shape of the helmets and the jumpsuits gave me this another idea...

What if...?

 Would I dare painting them orange and white? Well of course! Who do you take me for?

The process took me longer than expected. Essentially real life issues, but also a few unexpected setbacks, such as spilling (again) my [redacted] Agrax:

Tragedy in one shot

I'm so tired of GW pots. I'm afraid I'll have to get one of those holders I've seen on the internet. Or even better, find out the equivalent for Agrax in Vallejo and get rid of the problem for good.

Anyway, after the... issue, ahem, I was able to move forward. Using essentially just two colours made my life enormously easy:

Orange is the new black, you know

Rehearsal for Thriller

There's little thing to say about them in fact, you can see it's quite a basic paintjob. I didn't want to overdo them or add too much blood and stuff, so I went for a straightforward brushwork. I tried some different skin tones (which of course are indistinguishable in my awful pics) and made some Rebel-like patterns on the helmets. Biggs Darklighter's helmet was my main inspiration, as yellow/black checkers also fit into my general Rogue Trader style.

 

 

 

 The bases are from an old KS, I never got to use them and had been rolling on the shelves for never ending years, so I'm happy I finally found a way to put them into an use!

It is a dark time for the Rebellion...

 I will for sure find a way to give them a role into any scenario in a spaceport, something like that. I hope you can indulge my extravaganza, but the idea was too silly to just let it go :D

35 comments:

  1. Fantastic work Suber, from concept to execution, some great looking sculpts, and the two bloated suits made me laugh, either there was a oxygen overload, or they had too many beans before suiting up ! LOL
    Have saved the picture to include you in the Zomtober roundup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Haha, I would vote myself for the beans option! They must be super funny when floating into the void!
      Thanks for the Zomtober challenge!

      Delete
  2. Now you need some stormtroopers to deal with these rebel scum! Rob D

    ReplyDelete
  3. That’s a nice crossover: zombie rebels!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zombie Stormtroopers against zombie rebels. Oh, I do need a ruleset for that!!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you! Looking for brains and freedom along the Galaxy!

      Delete
  5. Great colours and inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! They were super fun to do. I regret not taking pics alongside my Star Wars minis! I'm realising just now!!

      Delete
  6. Oh wow I love these! The models themselves are great and doing them as Rebel pilots is just genius! If you want an alternative to Agrax Earthshade, try Army Painter Strong Tone or Vallejo Burnt Umber wash.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I did enjoy them a lot. I'm most definitely trying something different from GW, thanks for the references!!

      Delete
  7. te han quedado genial, el uniforme que llevan es el mismo que las minis de plástico, tanto tripulaciones como mercenarios o soldados, será para que tengan una cohesión con sus propias minis y puedan parecer que han sido infectados. Yo tengo unos infectados de star saga y de deadzone para el mismo propósito.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Las minis son muy buenas, las he disfrutado como un enano. El toque Star Wars ha sido simplemente un plus :D

      Delete
  8. Whoa! These are great. They're SW inspired enough to add to the appeal... but not to look out of place in another setting. And you did an absolute horde of them too.

    Also is there ANY damn project that DOESN'T involve spilling a GW wash? I just knocked over my Reikland Fleshshade... I sucked it up with a syringe but it probably has particles in it now 😡

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Oh, the influence is blatantly obvious, but I think (I hope) they will still work in some other ambientations! Haha, I know the feel, bro :D

      Delete
  9. Awesome work on some great figures Suber! As other have said, they will be great in any SciFi battle - but may be best invading the death star. 😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Hmm, I may have to make some home rules for a Legion/Imperial Assault scenario...

      Delete
  10. Suber! These are brilliant! I agree that the Northstar models are fun to paint, and I love that you went with the rebel colors. They are so iconic, and look great as a bunch of zombies. Love that you even gave them checks and other markings. Fantastic!

    Also, I agree with the GW pots. My desk has a slight angle to it, so I've also spilled a few pots. I'm thinking of getting one of those rubber tri-holders for mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was kind of a no-brainer, I have used orange jumpsuits earlier for my minis, and when the idea first came to mind I couldn't but see the Rebels here! :D

      Delete
  11. I second Army Painter Strong Tone as an alternative to Declan Mud oops sorry Agrax. Very nice zombie results, I like the helmet visor work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thanks! Yup, I'm trying anything different from GW, I've wasted the equivalent to several full pots by now! :D

      Delete
  12. Ha ha ha, I love the twist you've put on the space zombies, turning them into mincemeat rebel pilots. From the work, I can only praise the final result. A preciousness

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! You know, the sillier, the better! I hope Disney take the idea!

      Delete
  13. These look excellent my friend. And then there is the fact you just invented a new Star Wars zombie game :) These look like zombie rebel pilots. All you need now is zombie Stormtroopers :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Haha, I do need them, don't I?

      Delete
  14. I didn't notice these until today. They're looking really cool. I like the sculpts and the paint scheme is inspired!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! They were a different, fun thing to do :D

      Delete
  15. Awesome looking Star wars rebel zombies they're ace, also I haven't spolt any citadel washes and I'm going to use some agrax earthshade tonight, now I am worried!
    Best Iain caveadsum1471

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, beware!! It has happened to me a few times and it's quite frustrating, but I am extra clumsy, so it doesn't need to happen to you!

      Delete
  16. I've spilled many a pot of Agrax or Nuln Oil.... So annoying and easily done. :)

    Love the direction you went with these. Makes me think of the mass of Rebel pilots from Return of the Jedi who didn't burn up with their fighters and were collected from their cold floaty endings to return again in some post-Empire nasty "Raise the dead" type experiment - that went wrong!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thank you! I do like your way of thinking, haha!

      Delete
  17. That's just really cool bunch of space-deaders 🤗
    And you just brought me some ideas for color combo for the coming Algeroth's acolytes squad...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thank you ! Glad you like them, these poor fellas clearly need some love, it looks like they are going through some rough times...

      Delete
  18. Suber ... your creativity knows no bounds. This is simply excellent stuff. Much respect :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! Is it possible that you may be referring to the next post, the floating turbines one? I'm so glad you are enjoying these posts! Thank you!

      Delete