17/06/2023

Filling the corners

 Life has got me stranded among the usual thousand ongoing projects, job issues and family, so just the usual stuff! However I'm afraid I have slowed down my output recently. I was hoping I could show much more today, but any little progress is still progress, so here I am!

Last time I talked about my board it looked this way...

This project never ends!

You can see down left there's an ugly empty space, taking shape between the foamboard and the wooden box. Of course I will not suffer empty spaces on my board!

After doing rough caves, I fancied something different, something more picturesque...

I won't blame you if you don't know what the hell is going on here

No, a swimming pool is too much, even for me

Oh. Was that unexpected enough?

Does it begin to make any sense at all?

So that's it, I'm building a refreshing corner inside the cave. I just painted it all but the doors, in the hope that it will work at first sight.

I don't need it to be perfect. I don't even need it to be good!

I simply have to create the illusion

The place is built in a similar fashion to another tiny corner I had previously done, the tea room place at the end of the first slope (you can see it on this post). For the entrance I chose not to build a raw stone cave, but an arch in the same way I had done before at the entrance of the town (check the first pic in the post):

Kind of tricky thing to do!

I hope it all looks more or less natural at table distance. However, I thought I could still add something.

So I made this plant out of paper and a broken ballpen piece

Now the corner looks cozier and fresh!

I also added some more stuff on the board, but it has nothing to do with this corner. I got these antennae from Miniature Scenery:

Pretty straightforward to assemble

In the end, after the usual white priming and dirty weathering, they look like this:

Now that I see the pic, I want to sculpt a nest on top of one of them

I also built this antennae thingie out of varied trash:

Looks awful, doesn't it?

Once painted it looks even less reliable!

I am using them to fill strategic places which were too empty:

In fact I had wanted to build this piece almost since the beginning of the project!

My other option here was a lanfing platform. This looked more feasible

This is it for today. I have plans for the next stage, but they require quite a lot of work, as I'm afraid I'll have to build different elements at the same time, because they will be interacting with each other. For now I'll leave you with the foamboard piece I just cut and that will serve as the floor for the next expansion.

This thing is growing even crazier than I ever expected

I still have a lot of sketches and numbers to do, but I have a general idea of what I want it to look like.

More to come!

28 comments:

  1. Always great pleasure to see your terrains. Beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Not spectacular progress, but good enough for me!

      Delete
  2. Excellent additions Suber, this whole project has a very lived in look to it, and well used, which I really appreciate, and every time you add something it is always really well thought out and practical.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I try it to be playable, yet visually appealing. Still a lot of work ahead!

      Delete
  3. This thing just gets better and better! I love all the little details. That pot plant is particularly good. I'm not sure whether this is a diorama or a gaming board (or both!) but it's an awesome project. Great work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thanks, I have to admit it's a dollhouse more than a board! But I'm enjoying it nevertheless! :D

      Delete
  4. te está quedando genial todo genial.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ¡Gracias! Ahora me viene una fase muy lenta, porque tienen que ensamblarse muchas cosas a la vez, a ver cómo lo soluciono

      Delete
  5. Interesting to see your progress on this project. Great job, what minis will you be using?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I intend to play Rogue Trader or WH40K, which is my main set of minis, but I'm keeping it deliberately ambiguous, so I can play, let's say Star Wars or Firefly, or any other sci-fi ambientation of the like :)

      Delete
  6. Fantastic! This is coming together very nicely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I have to face a slow stage now, with lots of elements that have to come together more or less at the same time, but I hope I can manage!

      Delete
  7. I do like the latest addition to the project, full of character and just waiting to have a game played around it…
    Alan Tradgardland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm quite eager to play, but I'm afraid I still have some work to do...

      Delete
  8. I love this project. I love the organic expansion - it feels very much like the development of an actual town. Nice to have an upmarket corner too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I always try every element to make sense among all the others, so I don't build a mere LOS blocker, but an actual liveable town. I have plans for a luxury home (but I don't know if I'll have the room for it!!! Help!!)

      Delete
  9. That thing is getting huge! Love all the additions, but that squat antenna from junk just looks so weird and scifi, it may be my favorite of the new parts. I'm excited to see what's next!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! That was precisely my idea, to build something strange and untidy! I have to gather strenght and willpower for the next phase, but I hope I'll be on it soon!

      Delete
  10. More great details to an already impressive looking setup. And none of it looks out of place. I just worry the more pokey-fiddly stuff included will make it harder to play on for fear of snagging hands/arms/sleeves?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, that's quite a concern for me too! Sometimes I let myself go and end up with more stuff than I planned! I'll have to be careful when playing!

      Delete
  11. Looks fantastic, Suber! Bags of detail and lovingly put together, and the antenna made from trash is a perfect example of your skill at making effective bits from junk. I can't wait to see more work on this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! I enjoy this cheap side of the hobby, not because I can't afford commercial stuff, but because there's a particular kind of charm in repurposing and refurbishing these bits! :D

      Delete
  12. There is so much detail going on that it's insane. Incredible effort Suber! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The dollhouse has evolved into a deranged dolltown. Or something :D

      Delete
  13. Wow, cracking job with so many lovely details!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's a little bit crazy, but I'm happy with the progress :)

      Delete
  14. Splendid additions I like the moorish cave!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Iain! I thought that at this point it needed some kind of flavour, some identity. I hope the whole thing makes sense whrn finished!

      Delete