13/07/2023

It's been an infinity since last time I posted...

 ...but it's because it took me all this time to think of a title for the post.

After my first incursion into these ranges, it was time for the Yu Jing set! Well, first thing I have to say is that they are, of course, as detailed as their Panoceania counterparts, and that's wild. I mean, they all are gorgeous sculpts, but they are pretty challenging because of that!

This time I found the main base colour at the first try, which makes me utterly happy :D

It's a particular orange. I used a 50/50 mix of Vallejo... "Transparent Orange"? (a pretty neutral orange) and Deep Yellow:

So now it's really a kind of yellow

And then I used GW's Iyanden Yellow Contrast as a wash, as I've done some times before. This provides a kind of orange I' happy with:

I can work with this

So, you know, as usual in my techniques, the key is to use the paints to any other purpose different than they were designed for. Do it wrong to make it right!

Anyway, I painted all the oranges on a row:

At this stage the main precaution is not to lose any bit

You may notice there's an intruder there, the girl with the rocket launcher down in the pic. It's Oktavia Grímsdóttir, a special character who doesn't really belong to this faction. However, I had to paint her jacket in this colour, so I just got her there. I'll have that mini finished for the next installment of the project.

Now I had to paint different kinds of not-really-black clothes. For the trousers I used a mix of dark green- dark blue- black mix (highlights from there with more blue). For the cloaks I went for a more neutral grey (black and grey) and the armour pieces were made with a mix of German Camo green and Black. Finally, weapons were made with a Royal blue and Black mix, adding grey to the mix for the highlights.

You haven't read the above paragraph and I'm OK with it

I dared to use the Apothecary White Contrast paint, and I was surprised with the result:

Unexpected success

In the end this is what I got. Here you have the armour guys. The guy on the left is a Dàofěi (of course I had to google all the names). Apparently it translate as "Bandit", a name taken from their training methods. My research says that in Mandarin it should be pronounced "Tǔfěi". Not really essential data, but if I know that, now you have to know it too.

The one on the right is a Jujak, which is Korean Shock Infantry. My research on this unit has been quite frustrating as I have found almost nothing, but no doubt he looks like a tough guy.

You don't want to mess with them

Not as impressive, but don't mess with them anyway

The sniper lady is a Hùndùn, which translate as "faceless", after the evil creature from Chinese mythology who embodies chaos and confusion. The bloke with the shotgun is a Gŭiláng ("Ghost Wolf"), who are the special arctic branch of the Yu Jing Army.

I hope I'm just writing those names right

I'm not sure if those coats are practical, but of course they are cool

Finally, the Zhànshì Qízhì (Troops of the Banner), the core of the army, light infantry troopers:

I wouldn't dare to paint an Imperial Guard sized army this way, but the minis are gorgeous

Well, I really don't see those tight pants in service in the military, but that's another issue

 Yu Jing has eight separate armies, each one with their banner. The one on Svalarheima, where this Operation Kaldstrom takes place, is the White Banner Army.
I'm used to WH40K, where finding background on the units is pretty easy, but there's not that much info on this, so I'm trying my best to get the fluff. It always helps me to understand the unit itself and gives me some kind of insights when painting.
Anyway, here you have the core force painted:
 
Camouflage is clearly not an issue in this game
So these are the two forces of the core box:

I need to build a backdrop for group shots like this one!

 My pal asked for urban bases, but what you see is temporary, I will add some rubble and stuff when I have all the minis finished.
I've talked about Oktavia Grímsdóttir above, but I also have a few more minis for both sides, so this is not the last you've seen on this project!


28 comments:

  1. Excellent work Suber, the whole unit looks very cohesive, and stands out well against the opposing force. Bonus points for the background research, and can certainly see the Korean style in there from the Sci-fi movies I've watched this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I have to say that I've enjoyed these Yu Jing minis more than the Panoceania ones. There's something about their design that looks enormously appealing to me, but I've not yet been able to fully identify it. I know what you mean, they have a "different" quality, but I wouldn't say they look "ethnic" (lacking for a better word). However I would most definitely tie them with East Asian sci-fi movies, and that's cool.

      Delete
  2. Oh wow, Suber, I love these! They're awesome minis and your paint scheme is fantastic — the orange and white works so well and gives them a really futuristic look!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think that these colours provide a real killer combo, they work nice wherever you use them :)

      Delete
    2. Another vote for orange and white being awesome. It always looks great on high tech models.

      Delete
    3. Thanks, I think it really works, doesn't it? It's kind of an universal rule!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks! Took me longer than expected, but I'm happy with them!

      Delete
  4. I'll lend you the book that explains all the background of these particular units the next time we see each other! Great work on these minis. I hope your pal also gave you the Kaldstrom Beyond box and that you have the opportunity to paint a TAG. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent work - white and yellow are both difficult colours to get right. I particularly like the bandit's coat. Did you paint the grid pattern, or is it sculpted on? I've got that Oktavia model somewhere. I really ought to give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Oh, no, the grid is sculpted, I wouldn't be able to get it so right for the sake of my life!

      Delete
  6. I think I need some of that white Contrast paint. Those results are far better than I was anticipating and it would make painting future whites far easier I think.

    Regardless of my own pondering above, I really like these and the scheme fits this anime style game so well. Does your friend who you'll be trying the rules out with have setting specific terrain to play on too? From what I've seen online, Infinity boards always seem to be VERY terrain dense, but can be played on a 2'x2' or 3'x3', right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I've learnt that Contrast paints can be a time saver, but they aren't the Holy Grail. However, they are worth a try.
      About the game itself, I haven't played it yet, but I'm also under the same impression, you don't need that quite a large board, but it needs to have tons of scenery. I'll be sure to take note of these issues for whenever we play!

      Delete
  7. Whites and yellows can be tricky but they look great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! They are tricky indeed, aren't they? But in the end I'm satisfied with the look of them. Not contest winner, but definitely not my aim :)

      Delete
  8. Really cool results with these yellow tones!
    Might finally give contrast paints a try 🙂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! But remember! They will only work if you use them wrong as I do! XD

      Delete
  9. Nice work mate - I agree the orange result is nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I may have to use it more! :P

      Delete
  10. te han quedado estupendo, incluso los podrías usar para stargrave ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias, jaja, tengo demasiados reglamentos que probar, se me acumula el trabajo XD

      Delete
  11. "Camouflage is clearly not an issue in this game" ... ha ha ha :) :) ... yeah, I am happy that most color schemes cater to our color sensibilities as miniature painters, but in the real world the soldiers have big targets painted to their backs. Most colors are so bright and vivid ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, that's kind of a debate, true colours vs perceptions (or conventions) of how minis should look :D

      Delete
  12. Lovely work as always, I have tried white contrast, didn't work for me, I don't think I'm subtle enough!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Well, in my case it's all a matter of trial and error. A lot of trials and a lot of errors indeed! :D

      Delete