11/02/2019

Stonecast for Shadespire

Yeah, I know, Shadespire is so last year, now it's all Nightvault. Who cares. I don't think I'll be changing the label now. This blog is oldschool and I'll take the consequences. Shadespire it is.

Another commission for this game. The sigmarites of the core box!

It's like the third kit I convert. I'm starting to run out of ideas
However, some things can still be done

Spears, spears everywhere
Right. You may remember I used a WH40K Grey Knights halberd for my own band. The idea got stuck in my mind, and I thought that a band with halberds/spears would look nice. Come on, the pose of the first guy is asking for it!

My pal asked for something totally different than the previous stuff I had made before. He wanted living statues, in the fashion of D&D animated armours. There are some references of other people out there on the internet, but I chose not to look for them and make my own way. I asked my pal what kind of stone would he like to have and just looked for stone references. Seriously, my browser historial is now something worth seeing. Ahem.

Not a geologist, but it looks like stone to me
Oh, yeah, these rocks rock!
A bold boulder. Ba Dum Tss

Bases were an issue. I didn't want them to look exactly like the statues, to avoid confusion. They needed to be chromatically different, even if they were (necessarily) similar.

I made them slightly lighter and with some more colours embedded
The final steps involved some ivy. Not only it reenforced the old statue idea, but it also fit into the own bases theme. Autumn, decay, life struggling over death, among these strange rocks.




That idea is reflected in the colours. The stone itself, the leafs. I tried to show quietness and ease, but some strenght and menace at the same time.

I think we haven't been introduced yet
Are our houses made of flesh then? Hmm, that's quite a debate

You may have noticed the back banner on the boss belongs to another set of Sigmarites. That's because I'm also converting other kits in the same fashion for the same purpose, so I'm sharing all their bits at the same time! You can expect more statues coming soon!

25 comments:

  1. These look great! Brightshield is my favourite - she really looks like she means business with that halberd. Nice work on the bases too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I wasn't sure if I could make that particular conversion work; I think it was the most difficult to get, but when I finally saw that pose I thought 'yup, this is the way'. It was fun, there are a number of possibilities and different combinations for these minis. However, I'm not sure if I could ever do a fourth iteration of these!

      Delete
  2. WoooooW! One of the best Sigmarites I ever seen! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'll be doing the other bands along the next days, stay tuned!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks! Glad you like them; it's a different concept than the usual stuff, so I was taking some risks here. There are still options to explore!

      Delete
  4. Wow, those conversions really are clever and work wonders man !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I've only used Grey Knights halberds and Sigmarite bits, they are quite more versatile that I expected. It's fun how they combine together :)

      Delete
  5. Those are awesome, and i'd totally steal the idea if I hadn't started painting my completely verdigris storm cast ๐Ÿ˜‚

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thank you! Looking forward to seeing your take on these!

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm impressed by how many different combinations you can make with these mere monopose minis!

      Delete
  7. The Ivy makes them that much more believable. I like the theme you used for these and the conversions are excellent too of course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The ivy was part of the concept since the beginning. I didn't want to overdo it; I always could add more, but taking a piece apart could ruin the paintjob. I'll see what else can be done with the next batch...

      Delete
  8. Really smart idea to build moving statues and they've worked out really well!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I wish the idea was mine, I think it's a totally different approach and it works surprisingly good!

      Delete
  9. What a unique idea. I really like how you took the customer's concept and executed it. Very cool

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! We have made several projects together, so it usually doesn't take much to catch the concept; he tends to allow a lot of freedom for me to take my own path and interpretation on each model, and it makes it all pretty easy :)

      Delete
  10. Te han quedado muy bien, lรกstima que los mรญos los transformรฉ para el caos.... y eso que siguen sin ser pintados metidos en una caja :O

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ¡Gracias! ¿Del Caos? Uh, eso todavรญa no lo he hecho, pรญntalos, hombre, ¡me encantarรญa verlos!

      Delete
    2. estรกn en una caja de la vergรผenza, y vergรผenza es que me he comprado proxys para necromunda y se han colado en la fila XD

      Delete
    3. ¡Jaja, eso a mรญ me pasa mucho! :D

      Delete
  11. You did good work on the minis themselves and that goes without saying. What I do want to point out is that I loved your work on the bases too. Your choice of being chromatically different is the correct one and they look good. Nice work Suber!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm happy with how did they turn out in the end, I think I have to explore that technique and improve it. I'm far from your work, of course, but I like what I learned here.

      Delete
    2. You are too kind Suber. I sometimes feel far from your work too so the respect is very much mutual :)

      Delete